your thoughts on the magician

BrightEye

Sulis said:
Maybe you're drawn to this type of person or this type of relationship because this person or relationship has the qualities of the Magician.
Does this person seem the type to take control, to get things done and to communicate well?
Maybe you just prefer relationships or people who are very active, who take charge and are good at making decisions?

OR

Maybe this person or this type of relationship brings out the qualities of the Magician in you?
Does this person make you feel confident and like you can do anything you want if you just try?
Is this an empowering relationship for you?
it's all of these i think. i do like people taking charge, although i don't know if that's a good thing - and it's not quite like that either. in quite a lot of things i take the initiative. but i certainly find it empowering, and the communication aspect is very central to that feeling.

Thirteen said:
Magic, to the Egyptians, was the esssental energy underlying all things, which, again, makes Isis perfect as she is the all-mother goddess, giving life to all, and, therefore, the embodiment of magic.
this is all very exciting stuff, Thirteen, thanks. i think the idea of mother is central. the person who triggered this thought process is something like a mother figure to me.

Thirteen said:
And, of course, because of this story, she is known as a healer, especially when it comes to poisons. Which, again, relates very well to the Magician as "doctor" figure. Even in the Osirus story, we see her magic and healing powers, as, after reassembling all of Osirus' pieces, she creats a golden phallus and uses it to inseminate herself and create Horus.
but here isis appears as androgynous, doesn't she? and i think that's also very important. the whole idea of having power over the word makes her, i think, androgynous because the word is the domain of the male gods. i knew about the story of Ra, that Isis knew his secret name and that that gave her power, but i didn't know it in such detail and was wondering about it. words/ communication is very central to the type of relationship i'm talking about. so someone who can bewitch through words - together with the aspect of mothering - would be a very apt image.

caridwen

Whenever I think I've come to grips with the Magician, I dont' really understand him anymore. I see him as the 'masculine principle' and his opposite (but opposite in the same way as yin/yang are opposite) is the High Priestess or the 'feminine principle'. These don't really relate to masculine and feminine the social constructs but the essence of Man and the essence of Woman. Something within each sex that makes them different yet complimentary to the other. Distilled in its crudest form this is the sexual organs, so the Magician is the Phallus.

Moving onto archetypes, he is active, creation, the will. He is able, confident and talented. He is a communicator but in the sphere of the rational, the consciousness, as his alter and opposite is a communicator in the subconscious and the irrational. He is the Sun as the High Priestess is the Moon and each provides guidance within their realm and cautions wandering from one to the other without prudent thought.

He is referred to here as the trickster but I see that as the role of The Fool, not the Magician.

His wand points to the sky as though he is channelling the divine seed into the earth and from this all things become manifest. Around him are roses and lillies, the flos campi and lilium convallium in reference to the Song of Solomon, a series of erotic poems. He is Le Bateleur or the Wand user, who holds raw energy, the Ace of Wands in his right hand.

He wears the Ouroboros as a belt, symbolising the eternal return or the cyclical nature of the cosmos. It also represents "All-in-All" or the totality of existence. In the Thoth deck the snakes represent, among other things, the transcendence of gender in reference to the snake's ability to shed its skin and be reborn. (It also usurps therefore, the need for the womb). Tiresias, a priest of Zeus from Greek mythology, came across a pair of coupling snakes and smote them apart angering the goddess Hera who punished him by turning him into a woman. Seven years later, he came across another pair of mating snakes and left them alone, his lesson learnt, he was turned back into a man.

However, according to some accounts, Hera and Zeus got into an argument regarding who has the most pleasure during sex, a man or a woman. The unfortunate Tiresias was asked to settle the dispute as he had experienced intercourse from both perspectives. He answered that he'd had greatest pleasure as a woman thus infuriating Hera who did not wish Zeus to know this 'womanly secret' so she struck him blind. Zeus couldn't retract Hera's actions but he gave him second sight to make up for it.

Thus the legend of the unfortunate Tiresias combines many important archetypal elements such as the blind seer, impiety, shamanic blurring of gender and the Caduceus (Wand and Serpant) the herald's staff and symbol of Hermes the winged messenger. The caduceus contains the ability to heal or harm and is sometimes confused with the Rod of Asclepius which represents the healing arts. The serpent is representative of rebirth and the Wand is Asclepius the Greek god of medicine. There is a similar symbol in Hebrew mythology called the Nehushtan which Moses used to heal the Isralites of snake bites.

Jesus referred to the Nehushtan,

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:14-15).

Rather than the trickster, I see the Magician as representative of the ego and the ability of the querent to trick themselves. The word ego is taken directly from Latin where it is the nominative of the first person singular personal pronoun and is translated as 'I myself' to express emphasis. Ego is the English translation of Freud's term 'Ich.'

Freudian psychoanalysis refers to the division of the psyche into three parts: id, super ego and ego. The id is primitive desire such as sexual desire or hunger. The super ego is society's imposed norms that we enter upon within a social contract and the ego is the medium between the two.

The function of the ego is to satisfy both the id and the super ego, it is the gratifier of our primal urges but within societies norms. For example, we may have a primal urge to punch someone (our id) but because this conflicts with the law and therefore the super ego, our ego holds us back and we may let off steam in some other more accepted manner. The normal development of our psyche depends on our upbringing and the different stages of our development.

Anyway, I seem to be babbling. I think we sometimes desire something so badly that we project what we want onto it and make it something other than it is. It's like the urge to buy something because we really want it but when we get it home, it isn't really that great after all. We do this with people as well, we make them perfect, our 'soul mates' and 'other halves' without even knowing them properly and that, I think is the Magician at work.

I'm going to stop here, my apologies for the length of this post:)

Thirteen

BrightEye said:
so someone who can bewitch through words - together with the aspect of mothering - would be a very apt image.
But we do have a name for women who can do this: Enchantress ;)

It is only in a Biblical sense that words are the exclusive power of a male god. Egyptian mythology is a bit more sexually egalitarian, so Isis need not be androgynous (though, certainly, it's your perogative to see the Magician that way). The Osirus myth of the golden phallus does not indicate that Isis could have impregnanted herself alone. It only indicates that she was able to ressurrect her man in all respects. In otherwords, it's more a metaphor for the power of a woman to stimulate a man--even the most impotent man, not the power of a woman to create a child without a man. Osiris did provide the seed.

Egyptian mythology sees the creation of the world in sex, and Osiris being able to give that seed as part of that creation. But without Isis, the phallus can't do it's job. As I recall, there was a ritual where the Pharaoh would re-inact this part of the myth with "royal wives" and these queens whose job it was to stimuate him, were considered very powerful and very magical.

BrightEye

caridwen said:
I think we sometimes desire something so badly that we project what we want onto it and make it something other than it is. It's like the urge to buy something because we really want it but when we get it home, it isn't really that great after all. We do this with people as well, we make them perfect, our 'soul mates' and 'other halves' without even knowing them properly and that, I think is the Magician at work.
it may well be true that i'm dazzled by this person - i think Thirteen's idea of enchantress hits the nail on the head - but i wouldn't go as far as saying this is my soul mate. she just got me thinking about a lot of things regarding myself. she made me see a lot of things i didn't see before - and often not even through talking but just by spending time with me. i think the idea of development that you addressed may fit here. she's triggered a lot of thoughts and developments in a very short time. things are starting to fall into place.