A new de-enabling thread

Cat*

thorhammer said:
And don't try to tell me that you'll read it "intuitively". I can hear the reading now . . . "You're feeling muddy at the moment. There's a giant rock standing in your way, and you're barred on all sides by very thin straight rods of stuff. It's hard for you to focus your vision. Have you showered in the last six months?"
YES! To all of it! You're an amazing reader! :D

Le Fanu said:
And what really gets me about the essential Haindl books is you learn that absolutely everything in every single card refers to absolutely everything in the universe. And every single thing could conceivably refer to every conceivable god, goddess, myth, religion, civilization, number, element, constellation, Arcana card and historical event.

Are you ready for this somewhat steep learning curve?
I adore the "somewhat" in that last sentence!

And if the deck is so all-referencing, wouldn't it have been somewhat more economic to just print ONE Haindl card instead of a whole deck?

moderndayruth said:
I do want a round deck in my mini-collection and i was thinking about ordering the Circle of Life... Mind, i am asking fo your opinion here, i mean, i'll be ordering some round deck anyway and this one is available and its not too expensive... What do you think (seriously)?
I understand the fascination with round decks. BUT what's the point of round cards if you could have more or less the same image on square cards, too? It all just says marketing gimmick to me... If you want a round deck that makes sense as a round one, wait for Sidhe-Ra's oracle... IF you even buy oracles.

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
And what really gets me about the essential Haindl books is you learn that absolutely everything in every single card refers to absolutely everything in the universe. And every single thing could conceivably refer to every conceivable god, goddess, myth, religion, civilization, number, element, constellation, Arcana card and historical event.

I like the artwork, but Goodness, couldn't Hermann Haindl leave at least something for some other deck?! It seems he was inspired by Qabbalah, Runes, I Ching, and Native American influences ...
simultaneosly
?!
I wouldn't know about Tarot artwork, but in literature its not really considered a good idea to try to tell "everything" with one book... :confused:
As much as i love Rachel Pollac's books - if i have to read three of them to learn my way with a single deck... i don't think so. ;)

gregory said:
I'll tell you about Circle of Life. I like it even less than Motherpeace - and goodness knows I don't like that.....

What rules say I cannot say this ????
Shhh, Greg Big Brother is watching you... :eek:

cardlady22

Well, you can add one little chalk mark to the wall . . .
I am de-enabled from the Quantum.

Reference to "Event Horizon" brought back memories of the brilliant but disturbing movie.

And silver gilt edges is a definite no-no for my small, delicate hands.

enchanted spirit

Okay, I need de-enabled . . .
from buying any decks at all!
Yes, that would be good.

help

moderndayruth

Cat* said:
If you want a round deck that makes sense as a round one, wait for Sidhe-Ra's oracle... IF you even buy oracles.
:shhh: What a question?! Of course i buy oracles! :D

thorhammer

enchanted spirit said:
Yes, that would be good.

help
You will be paying for that VRGold for eternity. That leaves no wiggle room for other decks.

This is your penance for buying that deck. Was it worth it???

\m/ Kat

cardlady22

Hello, enchanted spirit!

I think you should invest your time in a campaign for a quality Reptiles & Amphibians Tarot. (because Dragons have been done to death, right?)

moderndayruth

enchanted spirit said:
Yes, that would be good.

help

Ok, you have three BB cats... You do need help...:laugh:

(Just kidding, i love BB catc! ;))
I just peeked at your wishlist and i doubt you need 1001 Nights or any other of the decks listed there... Seriously. (Thouhg Greg might argue about Kazanlar ;))
ES, you actually studied all the decks in your collection, right? Because it says in your profil that you are "newish" to Tarot... Wouldn't it be wiser to learn the decks you already have? That's, of course, unless you are one of the happy few who was not affected by the economic crises and actually can afford manic collecting in these times...})

SolSionnach

Starshower said:
PS. Do I need the Haindl too?
NO!!!
thorhammer said:
Gack! What the heck for??? It's ugly, dirty-looking, confusing, utterly uninspiring, and purportedly chock-full of esoterica. So much so, indeed, that the Grand Dame of Tarot, Ms Pollack, had to write not one, but two books on it, which are unreadable. So you're not buying just a deck - you're buying a deck and two books you'll never read which means you'll never read with the deck.

And don't try to tell me that you'll read it "intuitively". I can hear the reading now . . . "You're feeling muddy at the moment. There's a giant rock standing in your way, and you're barred on all sides by very thin straight rods of stuff. It's hard for you to focus your vision. Have you showered in the last six months?
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! ::giggle:: ::snort:: GAAAAAHHH! LOL
No wonder I can't read with that deck!
Le Fanu said:
hey! You forgot to mention the jaundiced eye with the abcess..
::Shudders:: My least fav part of the whole thing. Just try fanning the deck face down. :eek:
Le Fanu said:

ROFL you just killed me, Le Fanu! (screams with laughter) :D :D :D :D :D

BUT IT'S SO TRUE!!! That damned deck is chock full of unrelated symbolism to the point of overload - and yes, you have to read all the books, and unless you have the memory of an elephant (think fire hoses?? OMG) you'll still keep drawing blanks.

Now Thoth, OTOH, at least has the GD documents to go with - and the symbolism makes sense the deeper you go. But Haindl? I Ching + Hebrew letters + Runes + astrology? eeep.

I am SO HAPPY that this thread is back to DEenabling. :D

enchanted spirit

thorhammer said:
You will be paying for that VRGold for eternity. That leaves no wiggle room for other decks.

This is your penance for buying that deck. Was it worth it???

\m/ Kat
Eternity, huh? Ouch. I was thinking 2009, but you are probably right. Oh my.

cardlady22 said:
I think you should invest your time in a campaign for a quality Reptiles & Amphibians Tarot. (because Dragons have been done to death, right?)
Now, that is a funny thing because I would like to do a Gecko Tarot, with Crested Geckos! I can't seem to attach a photo, but you can google crested geckos and see some. Now, I'm not enabling because I haven't done it and probably never will.

ETA: There's my picture! Yay! That's a baby I hatched! That should de-enable me, huh? LOL

Attachments

• babygecko1214.jpg
    babygecko1214.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 77