Does any one recognize this Rider Waite clone?

rwcarter

Marina said:
In Brazil, it comes with a RWS set. I found the deck only in my city's yearly book fair.
How interesting! And all this time I thought it was just some random clone....

MareSaturni

nisaba said:
Looking at her surname, the mind boggles ...

Yes! I found the 'Waite' part weird too but maybe it's just someone using the Waite surname to gain more credebility. Who knows?

rwcarter

Per Wikipedia, his wives were Ada and Mary, and he had a daughter Sybil. Not an Edith in the bunch.

MareSaturni

rwcarter said:
Per Wikipedia, his wives were Ada and Mary, and he had a daughter Sybil. Not an Edith in the bunch.

That's what i thought. Pfft. =/
I even think that it's a fake name. A nom de plume. Not that i cared when i bought the deck, i wasn't interested in the book so i made sure to buy just the deck. Thinking now, it's a pity, if i had the book i could see if the real name of the author is there...tsk tsk...

Welf

Alan Ross said:
The Star in this clone deck actually appears more similar to the Star in Paul Foster Case's B.O.T.A. Tarot than the Star in the RWS. The title bar in the majors also seems to have been influenced by the B.O.T.A.

http://www.wicce.com/bota.jpg
I just knew that I had seen The Star somewhere but being one of those real lucky types who has been graced with a memory like a sieve I couldn't quite place it at that moment.. Good one, thanks for the memory jog... A clone of a clone is what this is then...

I must put my hand up and admit I ordered one too after doing that last post in this thread before taking off for a bit... Considering the postage rate and dollar conversion rate for Australia, it's still a good cheap buy... and by the sounds of the quality, not too bad either...

Welf

emmsma

I came close to purchasing one last night too. Will pop in to ebay in a few to see if there are any left. :p

Asher

I did...

and ordered one last night! I think it's a beautiful re-drawing/re-coloring. Although it won't replace my PCS commemorative deck, it will be one I reach for often, I think.

Looking forward to getting it, & hope it arrives before I get home from vacation, so I'll have a package at the PO to pick up!

Asher

Scarlet27

Yep... That was my first Rider Waite (the same deck that's on Mariana's post), the mysterious RW whose creator is the mysterious Edith Waite :joke:
It had awful differences with the Original Rider Waite, for example the 7 of Cups shows completely empty cups and a couple more details that don't come to mind right now.
Plus the poor cardstock and the icky lamination... yuck!! I ended up getting rid of it, after just a couple of months of use -very gentle use, of course- most cards' corners were totally bent. I mean it when I say horrifying quality.
So if the deck listed on eBay is the exact same printing as the one Mariana posted but with a different box, I would not recommend it to anyone :( It's a waste of money.

Blessings to you all, dear ones! :love:

Le Fanu

Marina said:
In Brazil, it comes with a RWS set. I found the deck only in my city's yearly book fair.

All this time i thought that some brazilian publisher had decided to redraw all the RWS cards in the computer and make a fancier version of them. But i was wrong, it seems

I saw this last week for sale in Lisbon and, like you, I thought it was Brazilian version for the Brazilian market (where, I know from experience "imported" tarot cards are fiendishly expensive!) and so I didn't buy it! Now I can see the "collector" potential :D

Wish Id bought it; must go and see if it is still there. But the titles are - presumably - in Portuguese in this edition??

Welf

Le Fanu said:
I saw this last week for sale in Lisbon and, like you, I thought it was Brazilian version for the Brazilian market (where, I know from experience "imported" tarot cards are fiendishly expensive!) and so I didn't buy it! Now I can see the "collector" potential :D

Wish Id bought it; must go and see if it is still there. But the titles are - presumably - in Portuguese in this edition??
You mean this one on ebay? This one on ebay is in English and it's seems to have a few BOTA style images in some of the cards... They don't actually advertise it as a Rider Waite, but as deck having Rider Waite type pictures and it's made in China... A couple of people already have it and it seems not too bad going by their posts, though a bit thin... ? Wondering if both decks discussed here are the same???

I have confirmation that my one is on it's way and they have sent me a tracking number and tell me it takes about 6 -10 days to get from Canada to here in Australia... That's pretty okay..

Wow.. I just looked and seems that almost all of them have have been sold... I did a store search for it and there are only two listed and both are up for bidding.... There were quite a few left when I ordered mine, so we must have bought them dry unless they have a few in reserve to sell for later...

Welf