How Does your Garden Grow?

celticnoodle

Yes; skin defoliator, dish washing sponge/scourer , dud ones make great fire starters for the fireplace, worse or worn out ones go in the compost and make a light spongy soil. Plus you can eat the fruit and flowers when young (like a zucchini, and batter the flowers and fry). When it finally all dies and dries out I am going to test the vines for basket weaving.
wow! I never knew you could eat the plant. interesting. thanks ravenest.

Someone asked for a photo?

Sure :)

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...6.0...0.0...1ac.1.17.img.WWr_re2qoG0#imgdii=_

[And no ... that is not me in photo 3. And I don't condone all potential usages shown - especially Lydia's ! :bugeyed:)]

thank you for the picture too. I was wondering what the plant itself looked like. I would've thought it would've grown from the ground up--sort of like an herbal plant, not hanging off the plant like a pinecone.

Chiska

This evening the roses are taking over the front deck.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373345496061.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373345496061.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 97

ravenest

I have a Queen of the Night but I have never seen it flower or smelt it's night perfume ... its a rare event and maybe it never flowered or I missed it but I have never seen a passed flower or a flower bud, a friend who had one said neither had she but one night she was putting the garbage out and smelt an amazing smell and a flower was out ... they all came out to look at it and the next day it was gone.

Does anyone have experience with this plant?

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=....4j4j7j1.16.0....0...1ac.1.19.img.6CV4KPm231Y

Chiska

The bounty of the harvest.... PEAS.

What are you harvesting now?

ravenest

I still have lots of shallots and leeks, the capsicum pepper things are still going just smaller fruit, parsley, lots of coriander (likes the cold), loofas still rolling in and more to go, large cherry tomatoes reseeding and fruiting everywhere, yacon - heaps. That's at the cabin ... about to start a new garden up the mountain, different climate and soil ... should be interesting, very good 'red earth' soils good for brassicas potatoes and heaps of things also colder here so pears and apples but still good citrus - no bananas though (but they are $1.99 kg at the shop so .... ).

Karrma

We have roses blooming on our back deck. They're actually blooming more vigorously now (this picture was last week), but they've dropped lots of petals so this photo looks nicer.

I'm jealous of your strawberries, Chiska! The previous owners of our house planted blueberries and golden raspberries. The golden raspberries are a mess and aren't even that delicious, though. And the blueberries -- I've never even gotten to eat a ripe one once in the four years we've been here! The birds eat them all! (Yes, I know, I should use bird netting...) But we like the birds, too... :)

The secret to getting blueberries from the birds, is have a cherry tree right over them. The birds like the cherries even better, we never get cherries, but lots of blueberries. And they will be ripe in about a week. :)

ana luisa

I have a Queen of the Night but I have never seen it flower or smelt it's night perfume ... its a rare event and maybe it never flowered or I missed it but I have never seen a passed flower or a flower bud, a friend who had one said neither had she but one night she was putting the garbage out and smelt an amazing smell and a flower was out ... they all came out to look at it and the next day it was gone.

Does anyone have experience with this plant?

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=....4j4j7j1.16.0....0...1ac.1.19.img.6CV4KPm231Y

Careful with slugs and snails who are attracted to it. Avoid direct sunlight. You can replant it from stems. It blooms during spring and summer and the smell is more pronounced during the night :)

celticnoodle

Chiska & Ravenest what beautiful flowers! thanks for sharing them. :)

The bounty of the harvest.... PEAS.

What are you harvesting now?

well, we've been eating kale, spinach, sugar snap peas, green beans, the green onions and herbs too. We did harvest the garlic not too long ago--its still hanging in the garage curing. Oh, I love the smell of garlic! :D

Today we harvested our sugar snap peas and the beans, carrots the remaining kale and spinach. We planted some zucchini. I was hoping to find a sage plant to plant as my sage is just not doing so great this year. I think the past winter was just too much for it. :( It was such a lovely bush for years!