website questions for professional readers

MandMaud

I have a website/blog, and have been thinking for a long time about offering tarot and/or healing for money... maybe. Probably online only for the time being. Before I do, I have questions! (And if you haven't much time, just answer this one: Am I foolish to go ahead with the website half-cooked?

So over the months, I've worded and re-worded FAQs and About Me pages and price lists. Fantasy planning. ;)

In January I concluded I wasn't ready to go "professional". Since then I'm thinking I should let it Just Happen. Of course it isn't going to Just Happen if the world doesn't know I'm available! (Apart from one person who PM'd me asking to pay for readings :D but that fizzled out.)

So, to re-word this Just Happen line of thinking, I should take the steps and then see what happens. My main fear has been of letting people down - by over-committing - but after all it's unlikely I'll be swamped by clients. :laugh:

Rewording that last paragraph: my gut says "Just do it." Besides, money is very tight and any little extra will be lovely.

But before I make this real, a few questions for those with more experience.

• 1. Is it unwise to go live without everything completely written?

• 2. It is wise to go live with just the What and the How Much, before I get About Me and/or FAQ up? What about a code of ethics (which is still vague in my head)?

• 3. Am I better trying to look "professional" and businesslike, or like an "ordinary person" and chatty?

• 4. Better to stick to tarot-relevant and healing-relevant blog posts (when I do update the blog which won't be often, at least to begin with)? Or anything that interests me?

• 5. How important are testimonials? When you're deciding whether to use a tarot reader (or any other service), do you take notice of them? Personally I ignore the testimonials page, as they can be made up or at least selected. But personally, as a consumer I'm *always* atypical (eg most eBay buyers forget about postage costs after deciding they're reasonable - not me)!

• 6. I don't have much experience but feedback tells me I'm fairly good at this. What is a fair price to charge?

• 7. Am I stupid to start this before getting the rest of my life - the practicalities - in order? Not expecting you to have a good answer to this one! But still I'd like your thoughts!

• 8. Is it far too soon to think about paying for a domain name - so far I've paid nothing and don't see a need to - or is it sensible to get a domain name now, so as not to change URL "halfway" when I begin to have regulars?

Opinions gratefully received! :) (I wish the Professional Tarot sub-forum still existed.)

Amanda

It sounds like you're kind of in a place where I've come to rest. I tried the professional thing, and I just didn't like the online venues, and I'm still a little weird about charging people money for it. I don't really like phones and I don't really like face-to-face readings. Email messages is where it's at for me... though I don't do too badly on chat services either.

So, professionalism eliminated, I still have some regulars that contact me and every once in a while a new person pops in through some means or another, but it's under more of a "Dear Old Friend Tarot Reader Amanda" vibe... and I tell them they can pay me whatever they think is fair. And I just accept it wholeheartedly, whatever they choose to give. I've had anywhere from $15 to $50 for one online virtual sitting. I've had a couple of people pay between $100 and $300 to simply be on retainer for a few readings over the course of a year. It's not money I'm after and something I just "let happen", so I typically don't expect more than $1000 over the course of a year or so.

Just my experience.. :)

MandMaud

It sounds like you're kind of in a place where I've come to rest. I tried the professional thing, and I just didn't like the online venues, and I'm still a little weird about charging people money for it. I don't really like phones and I don't really like face-to-face readings. Email messages is where it's at for me... though I don't do too badly on chat services either.

No, I don't like the phone either - I could train myself to "do" a professional manner (with a "quickstart" reference card of all the points to make and questions to ask), but I can choose so for now I choose not to. And i haven't tried face to face yet. I'm more at home on the internet than in my home, anyway! :laugh:

So, professionalism eliminated, I still have some regulars that contact me and every once in a while a new person pops in through some means or another, but it's under more of a "Dear Old Friend Tarot Reader Amanda" vibe... and I tell them they can pay me whatever they think is fair. And I just accept it wholeheartedly, whatever they choose to give. I've had anywhere from $15 to $50 for one online virtual sitting. I've had a couple of people pay between $100 and $300 to simply be on retainer for a few readings over the course of a year. It's not money I'm after and something I just "let happen", so I typically don't expect more than $1000 over the course of a year or so.

Just my experience.. :)

I forgot, I have thought of "pay what you feel it's worth" and I like that principle. I'd like to run my whole life like that. I know I'd pay people enough.

I know I don't want to join any of the sites that offer a choice of reader. Just not me, to go through an agency in any way. I have reached the point of being comfortable about payment though - probably not if it were cash or a cheque being put into my hand, but fine online! I suppose I have come to value my "worth" and money has lost some of its not-like-other-valuable-things "sheen".

And yes, email - rather than IM, say. I don't like the quickfire nature of IM. Apart from anything else, I have some concentration problems and if my attention flakes out without warning, I don't want that witnessed.

These are good questions, which hadn't occurred to me, to make me think about and decide what the answer are in my own case. :)

Grizabella

Just go for it. Have a payment option in mind, and then put yourself out there.

I'm not a believer in the posting of ethics. For some reason, it just rubs me the wrong way. I believe that the best proof of ethics is in our actions. And word of mouth is your best advertising. If you're honest and ethical, actions speak louder than words.

I prefer face-to-face readings, but if we can't do that, then live chat is my second option. The magic happens best if the reading is as close to a live interaction as possible in my own experience. But I do readings by email, too, if that's what the client prefers.

It's perfectly okay to just sit and peruse your cards for a few minutes when reading face-to-face or live chat. There's no reason to feel uncomfortable when doing that. If you're puzzled with something it's okay to say so, too. And if a client says, "Oh hogwash! That won't ever happen" or "no way this is the case" or something like that, I always just smile because I know within that the likelihood is that at some time down the road, whether near or far, they're going to find that the reading was right. If they get upset about it, they just don't have to pay me or I'll do a refund if they paid already. I've never had anyone ask for a refund or get upset yet, though.

MandMaud

Just go for it. Have a payment option in mind, and then put yourself out there.

I'm not a believer in the posting of ethics. For some reason, it just rubs me the wrong way. I believe that the best proof of ethics is in our actions. And word of mouth is your best advertising. If you're honest and ethical, actions speak louder than words.

I prefer face-to-face readings, but if we can't do that, then live chat is my second option. The magic happens best if the reading is as close to a live interaction as possible in my own experience. But I do readings by email, too, if that's what the client prefers.

It's perfectly okay to just sit and peruse your cards for a few minutes when reading face-to-face or live chat. There's no reason to feel uncomfortable when doing that. If you're puzzled with something it's okay to say so, too. And if a client says, "Oh hogwash! That won't ever happen" or "no way this is the case" or something like that, I always just smile because I know within that the likelihood is that at some time down the road, whether near or far, they're going to find that the reading was right. If they get upset about it, they just don't have to pay me or I'll do a refund if they paid already. I've never had anyone ask for a refund or get upset yet, though.

I see what you mean about ethics - hadn't thought about it, among all the people recommending (insisting) that we do have a code and state it. Maybe I'll add a sentence into the About Me - when I get that written! - something about not offering medical/legal/financial advice and not being responsible for choices they make based on the readings...

I have a feeling I'll prefer face to face, eventually, but I haven't had a chance to find out. I can't even find a psychic fair locally that's worth the name. There is something which calls itself a psychic fair goes around the different towns - and the "organisation" that "runs" this seems to be an agreement between several practitioners to bunch together for mutual convenience/benefit. I went once, when it was local enough, and in a smallish hall there were half a dozen tarot readers, one head massage, one shaman (who was out for lunch or something the whole time I was there), a book stall or two, and a few jewellery/antiques stalls. Disappointing. Only one of the readers felt as if she was interesting to chat with, let alone get a reading from. And it was £1 to get in! At least that's stopped me driving an hour to go to the very same "fair". Certainly not something I'd pay to have a table at. Bigger things are too distant.

I *think* I won't be troubled by needing a few moments, if someone's watching me, or saying I'm unsure. I'm pretty centred and good at what in Alexander techique is apparently called the Alexander pause - ie the thing that allows you to sit for a second and be conscious, instead of leaping up when the phone rings. If you know what I mean. I don't think I'll be very good at timing so I don't ever want to charge by length of time! In fact my biggest challenge may be stopping before I flake out with compassion exhaustion each time! :laugh:

When you say "Have a payment option in mind," what do you mean? Do you mean PayPal as an option - or an amount?

tarotlova

I umm and ahhed about getting my own website up, but it there was just so much technical stuff and money issues to go through I gave up, but, I joined Phuture.me an online Tarot reading community and you get the best of both worlds. I don't have to worry about technical issues, all payments are done by PayPal and you can save up your reading earnings then request a withdrawal. I love it, best thing I ever did there was no money involved what so ever. George M Taylor is a member on AT here if you would like to know more about it. Combined with my paid readings and what I do here on AT I feel really good about how my level of reading has improved even after 20 years, you get a good range of questions asked plus you can reject a reading if your not comfortable reading the question asked :)

MandMaud

I umm and ahhed about getting my own website up, but it there was just so much technical stuff and money issues to go through I gave up, but, I joined Phuture.me an online Tarot reading community and you get the best of both worlds. I don't have to worry about technical issues, all payments are done by PayPal and you can save up your reading earnings then request a withdrawal. I love it, best thing I ever did there was no money involved what so ever. George M Taylor is a member on AT here if you would like to know more about it. Combined with my paid readings and what I do here on AT I feel really good about how my level of reading has improved even after 20 years, you get a good range of questions asked plus you can reject a reading if your not comfortable reading the question asked :)

I see your point(s), tarotlova... you're making me examine what my reluctance really is. Probably time. Is there a minimum you have to do (or are expected to do), per week or per month or something?

Also, to be honest, another reason has been that most of those websites put me off - just visually, they remind me of 'Hello' magazine and the tabloids! So I assume I wouldn't get any querents who are put off by the same kind of thing, which would mean "my kind of people"... I'm a bit tired to put this tactfully, but I suppose I'm talking about my ideal client. I know there will always be clienets who are less than ideal, but I'd rather be somewhere that attracts people who think more or less as I think, than somewhere that attracts people I have little in common with. There, I managed a tactful version! Phuture.me doesn't put me off at first glance as some of those sites do, I have to say.

But I notice you do have to use one of the spreads they offer, and I don't read with spreads. Well, I can, but I don't like to. I'm not comfortable reading each card one after another... and I tend to read best with only a couple of cards. Since Phuture.me charges per card according to its landing page, my typical reading would cost the sitter about $6 although I spend upwards of half an hour, sometimes more than an hour, on each. (This is what comes naturally to me: http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=229425)

ETA: I'm using Wordpress, so that's effectively a free website. It's for blogging but you can add pages instead of blog posts, and in theory you can continue like that for ever without ever using it as a blog. If I get a domain name that will be my only outlay, and I'm techie enough for that side of things. :)

MandMaud

amended the OP

I've added one more question to my list, about getting a domain name. Could have sworn there was another as well but if it mattered, it will have to come back to me tomorrow.

LindaMechele

I know this is a couple months old, but I've got to know - do you have your website posted yet, MandMaud? Have you done any readings? I hope so! If not, or even if you have, I had a couple comments just in case they may help. I've never done pro tarot readings, but have done pro garden consultations, and since business is business, hopefully some of this is of some help.

Fantasy planning. ;)
I love that term!

I should let it Just Happen.
Yes! I did the same as you - spent an inordinate amount of time planning. Finally, I just jumped in and I am so glad I did.

My main fear has been of letting people down - by over-committing - but after all it's unlikely I'll be swamped by clients. :laugh:
I'm a garden consultant as a side job. I travel to people's houses to give them advice on their yards and gardens. When I first started, I set my limit to one consult a week. Now I can do a lot more, but it helped my anxiety level to have that limit in the beginning, until I got the hang of it. Nowadays, if I feel my anxiety level rising when the phone rings, that's my cue that it's time to take a break, so I'll tell everyone I'm busy for the next two weeks, "but I have Monday the 20th open. Does that work for you?"

Is it unwise to go live without everything completely written? It is wise to go live with just the What and the How Much, before I get About Me and/or FAQ up? What about a code of ethics (which is still vague in my head)?
The what and how much are the important parts, so that's enough for now. You can add to it later. Besides, they don't really need to know more about you than how much tarot experience you have and what kinds of readings, if any, you don't do.

To equate it to my garden consultations, I tell people that I've been gardening my entire life having grown up on a 600-acre cattle ranch in a family that grew their own food, something I've continued in my adult life on a small piece of that same family ranch - I currently work as a horticulturist at a local organic garden center where I've been for seven years (my boss is a local gardening celebrity, so I definitely drop his name) - and I don't do trees since they are something that can add or subtract thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars to their property's value and they need someone with much more experience than I have for that ("And here's his number... He's VERY knowledgeable and is the only person {Boss} trusts with his trees.").

Having read just those few sentences, you now know a lot about me - I can grow vegetables like a madwoman so can help you learn to do that if you want to, if you want chickens or cows I can help with that, I'm reliable and must know something to have the main job I have and to have had it for so long, and I know my limits (I'm not going to fake it just to take your money, leaving you in the lurch about your trees). And you can surmise more - I probably know how to drive a tractor, build fence, butcher a chicken, make jelly, buy and sell cows, save seeds, identify and control weeds, figure out irrigation, plan out how much squash to plant to feed your family, etc., etc.

Am I better trying to look "professional" and businesslike, or like an "ordinary person" and chatty?
Ordinary person and chatty works for me. There's another consultant who acts a little TOO "professional" (read that: cold) and she doesn't get much business (but that may work for her - I'm sure she has her reasons and sets her comfort level accordingly, and I'm also positive there are a lot of people who prefer things that way - it's just been my experience that there are more people who prefer a warmer approach). But there's a limit to my chattiness - unless I see a pair of knitting needles sticking out of their purse, I don't tell them I knit, spin (wool into yarn), and want sheep I can shear one day just like dear old Grandma had, know what I mean?

Better to stick to tarot-relevant and healing-relevant blog posts (when I do update the blog which won't be often, at least to begin with)? Or anything that interests me?
Anything that interests you so long as it relates to healing and tarot in some way for the most part. I mean, I have a gardening blog and sometimes I post "hard day in the garden" posts or just pictures of my property. People like to get a little window into your life and see that you're human, too, so I'm up front about all my tomatoes dying or the cows getting into the garden and trashing it. And they like to hear a little about my life outside of the job. But again, I don't talk much about things that don't relate to gardening. I do a bit and people tell me it helps them feel they know me better, but they don't want to wade through numerous posts about scratch baked cakes or knitting patterns to find out how to fight squash vine borers.

How important are testimonials? When you're deciding whether to use a tarot reader (or any other service), do you take notice of them? Personally I ignore the testimonials page, as they can be made up or at least selected.
The cynic in me usually thinks that, too, but if it's only a couple that aren't posted in size 78 text at the top of the page, if they are meaningful, and if the rest of the pages/info engenders trust in me (ie, no "I'M THE BEST TAROT READER EVAR!"), I tend to believe and like the testimonials.

I don't have much experience but feedback tells me I'm fairly good at this. What is a fair price to charge?
Right in the middle of what other established tarot readers in your area charge. Again, I'm equating this to my garden consulting business, but people are people, so a lot of it translates. Charge the bottom level or lower of what those in your area charge and you'll piss off the established readers who've spent time and effort finding that sweet spot, AND you'll get the "answer fishers" and people who want free readings mostly. Charge more and you likely won't get many clients since they won't know if you're worth it. You may end up charging more eventually, but not at first. (Speaking of that, when is the time to raise your prices? When you have so may readings you don't have time to do them all - you'll get fewer, but you'll end up making the same money overall.)

Am I stupid to start this before getting the rest of my life - the practicalities - in order? Not expecting you to have a good answer to this one! But still I'd like your thoughts!
Nope, not stupid! So long as you set realistic limits on what you can do. Like my one consult a week at first. I had visions of doing consults all week, multiples in a day, and even "fantasy planned" (HEE!) how much money I would make if I was booked solid every day. But man was I ever SO GLAD I set that one-a-week limit. The nerves on just the one was murder the first few times - took me a week to get over it! LOL! I did get more calls than that sometimes, so just spread them out to the following weeks 'til I was comfortable taking more.

Is it far too soon to think about paying for a domain name - so far I've paid nothing and don't see a need to - or is it sensible to get a domain name now, so as not to change URL "halfway" when I begin to have regulars?
Domain names are cheap (fifteen a year?), you can link it to your pro readings page at your current blog, and it helps people find you easier when they just have to remember "MandMaud.com" instead of "MandMaudTarot.blogspot.com" or whatever your current address is. But even if you don't want to do that right now, you can do it later and keep the current web address along with the domain name (you can set it to where both MandMaud.com AND MandMaudTarot.blogspot.com both go to the exact same page).

acephale

If you're thinking about it, go ahead and do it. That's the sign you're ready. Like RH said above, domain names are cheap, and you can use them in combination with a wordpress site. And WP will let you sell goods and services should you upgrade, you'd have to check their terms but I know I looked into them as well.

I read over the phone, through skype, google hangouts, in person, email, I own two pigeons, if they weren't such vain layabouts I'd utilize them. Once people find out you read, you'll read. I always joke I work like the pusher man, the first one is free if they're a friend that's never had a reading. (That and I love soul music, Curtis Mayfield on constant rotation.) That takes the pressure off. The one thing I would offer as advice is add a touch of theater. Use East Indian fabrics or reading mats like Tarot by Seven makes. I'm not connected to her by any means but when I see readers doing videos of readings on uncleaned beige carpets or dingy kitchen tables something inside me dies. This is a big event in these people's lives, the stage dressing acknowledges that. And if you're stuck, just tell them that. You have their contact info. People are thrilled they have something so out of the ordinary it has to be researched.

Most of all, and you've already got this, it shows in your questions, just be in love with humanity. We don't have to get all cuddly feel good creepy about it, but we have to be gentle. Even the biggest rager is expressing crisis. And it sucks. Bad. But it's true. They'll never acknowledge it, but they would not be coming to us for any other reason. Now I'm not saying I'm able to live up to this 100%, but I try even if I have to stop and remind myself of it some days.

But yeah. Check out different web hosting providers. Be honest about your own design/cs skills and how much it's worth your time to deal with that vs. paying a pro, and I do mean a pro. You will probably lose a friendship if you go the route of having a friend do it for you so go into that with eyes wide open. Read the TOS of your web provider and credit card handler carefully, will they even handle "fortune tellers" in the first place? How do they handle charge backs because that will happen, not if but when.

Charging, I charge $50 half hour/$90 hour. Low enough I feel comfortable that everyone can afford my services, high enough they're not consulting for dumb questions. I'm on retainer for some clients, mostly business, where they are having me do a lot of work for them. Which brings me to another point. Diversify. I also love traditional astrology, palmistry, numerology, Qabalah, and pendulum work. You never know what or when something is going to come in handy. And they all interplay with one another, you never know. So in the same vein, have business cards. Just simple, plain is what I prefer, and don't be slimy about it, but if someone asks? You're ready.

But yeah. The fact you even asked means you're ready. I'm far from an expert, I'm still in that cave blinded by shadows myself. Sadly only experience will teach us. Don't worry about the FAQ, Code of Ethics, etc. etc. Your actions will speak volumes. Price yourself high enough to keep the frivolous at bay and to keep you and yours well fed and take pride in what we do. It may not be the most ancient of professions but we sure come close. ;-)