website questions for professional readers

LindaMechele

I'll be happy to check it on my phone (Android), MM, and do some proofreading. My schoolteacher father had a Master's in Education, so I started learning early how to read, write, and speak correctly (*she says as she nervously decides to go back and proofread her own posts* :joke:).

tarotlova

Remember to have a reminder that says that your readings are for entertainment only, in case you get sued.

I never thought of that, so I just added this to my site that I am still constructing;

For entertainment purposes only, my readings are intended to provide helpful and informative advice on the subject matter asked about. I specifically disclaim any responsibility for any liability, loss or risk, personal or otherwise which is incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly of the use and application of any of the content/advice given in my readings.

Hopefully this should cover it, I hate putting entertainment purposes as I really believe in the Tarot like everyone else here, but understand that it is a necessary evil. :)

mothcloth

hey!

another thing that you might want to look into is SEO if you fancy getting clients through google searches etc.

there are couple of ways to do it, but that's something to keep in mind in the longrun. as far as i know google offers webmaster tools where you can verify that you own a website and help it to get listed in their search results. i'm pretty sure that other bigger engines have similiar options too (bing, yahoo etc.).

another thing that you could add is an analytics / behaviourial tracker for your website if you want to get really nitty-gritty and super precise with your marketing - where do people come from? what kind of people visit your page? etc. - but it's a fine line to walk in terms of privacy policies and making sure you let your visitors know about cookies and such.

if you are a social media type of person, i'd also go for a facebook fanpage and a opt-in-facebook-like-button (normal fb buttons do track all visitors of any site where one is placed, an opt-in one is a button where the user has to click on it to make it connect to fb, so people who don't wanna get tracked, don't get tracked. i think that's a nicer ettiquette in terms of social media.)

another thing to do could be a newsletter? i'm not affilated with them, but mailchimp is really easy to use and organize. i think a basic account up to a limited number of list subscribers is also free.

something that might be interesting too in the future while you're establishing your client base might be a referal coupon thing - like, if a reader recommends you to another person, they get a fixed amount off / a free crystal / something else?

wish you all the best! i hope some of my rambling here makes sense, haha.

Sparkle_126

Hi,

I came across your message about websites. I do know abit about websites, as I do create them. I thought that I might share some of my experience with you.

1. I do suggest a .com name, and I do not mean to offend anyone here, or if you are looking into something other than a dot com, that is fine too. It is just that people remember the dot com the best. As well, by putting a country name or city name at the end, it is suggesting to people that you only work in the geographical area, whereas the dot com will make you appear international. Maybe you are not interested in international work, but you may be in the future.

2. In saying that, the domain name should be short and catchy, which is what I see you doing. A domain name that is so long that a person cannot remember is of no use to anyone.

3. You can go to any of the registrars and get a domain name on sale at times. I have gotten dot coms for 99 cents for a year! Then you can try the name and if you don't like it, you can release it after the year.

4. I know that wordpress is very popular right now and I personally work with wordpress. However, when I first started off a new business years ago, I just used the templates on the site where I purchased the domain name from. The bonus of this is that you do not have to be a pro website builder. You can have something up reasonably fast and they look after the server upgrades and the software upgrades. Wordpress has to be updated a few times a year, not to mention the widgets that are attached as well.

5. People do like to see an about us or about me page. They want to know your experience and background. You don't need to get personal at all. You would just talk about the history of your company and how you got interested in your business. There are plenty of examples of an about me page on the web.

6. Although testimonials are suggested, I really don't know what the value of them are anymore, unless the testimonial is from a recognizable name. It is just too easy to put a false testimonial out there. I even see actors on Fiver doing paid video testimonials. Nevertheless, I still put them up.

I just wanted to offer my experience and suggestions.

MandMaud

I'll be happy to check it on my phone (Android), MM, and do some proofreading. My schoolteacher father had a Master's in Education, so I started learning early how to read, write, and speak correctly (*she says as she nervously decides to go back and proofread her own posts* :joke:).

Thanks! I will use you, when it's time to. :)
(Don't know if you're like me, but I make amendments in texts - I even use semi-colons in texts... :rolleyes:)

I hate putting entertainment purposes as I really believe in the Tarot like everyone else here, but understand that it is a necessary evil. :)

In some places I've seen "The law requires that I state these readings are for entertainment purposes only", or "In accordance with the law..." - and I'm sure I've even seen, at least once, "...even though I myself don't think they are". :D

@ mothcloth and Sparkle: you have both given some great ideas here, thank you so much. I am simply SO tired this evening that I'm about to go to bed - 9pm! :bugeyed: - but I'll re-read more thoroughly and reply properly. Could be a couple of weeks though, as I'm going away on Friday. :)

MandMaud

Well, I didn't mean to drop this so completely!

Yesterday I took the plunge and registered a domain name - after all these more imaginative ideas, I did go for just my name dot com. I haven't done much to get it presentable yet but it can't now be swiped from under my nose - not that I expect many people are out there longing to buy my name. ;) I also ordered 100 business cards.

I think it needed a while for the "me as a brand" thing to settle in my mind - in the riverbed slime of my mind - but now that it's had a while, it makes sense since I don't know what I may want to use the domain for in future years and the possibilities are many.

It's also short, and easy to remember if you can remember my name itself, and as you say, Sparkle_126, .com sticks in people's memories better than the rest.

Things will develop one by one. I do intend to add a Facebook page and several of the other ideas from this thread. In fact I hope to do all of them eventually! First, though, I need to get the basic template sorted, and while colour scheme doesn't sound the most important thing, it's top priority as you can't go live without it! I also want to decide between Wordpress, Squarespace, and I think the other one was Wix. I like them all - very familiar with customising WP (from my writerly past) but maybe it's kind of the Microsoft of the website editors, not very transferable if I move later.

Can't see this decision happening in the very near future, as November is shaping up very busy for me, and then the workload of Christmas, and I have to take January "off" each year to get over December. But I'll come back and let you all know, when I do go live.

Thank you so much for your encouragement. You have been so patient with my ums and ers and second-guessing everything and going off on tangents. I've found it really supportive. You have seen me through from the maybe-if stage all the way to the yes-now-what-next stage! What a great place AT is. :heart:

Deanne

Good luck MandMaud!

Once I took the leap and got my domain, everything sort of fell into place from there. It really just took me deciding 'yes, I can do this' and then things started happening :)

I'm excited for you! Please keep us up to date.

Deanne

MandMaud

Good luck MandMaud!

Once I took the leap and got my domain, everything sort of fell into place from there. It really just took me deciding 'yes, I can do this' and then things started happening :)

I'm excited for you! Please keep us up to date.

Deanne

Yes, and then it's funny how the objections cease to exist and you wonder what the problems were! I know this - and for some reason it took time to reach that point. I'm sure there *is* a reason.

I'll certainly keep you updated, won't be able to NOT do that. ;)

Awakened Queen

I am currently launching a tarot business through my existing blog/website. I bought my domain name through GoDaddy, then had them host it. I use WordPress to publish it. You can create your own website, like I did. It's not that hard and will save you money. Also, consider getting a professional to design a logo for you. I fully believe that branding is important and more appealing for potential clients.

What's helped me is looking at other famous tarot readers' websites to see what I like and what I don't. Check out Theresa Reed's and Jess Carlson's websites. They're fun and inviting.

To promote yourself, use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, or even Periscope.

Charge what you feel your time and energy is worth.

MandMaud

I am currently launching a tarot business through my existing blog/website. I bought my domain name through GoDaddy, then had them host it. I use WordPress to publish it. You can create your own website, like I did. It's not that hard and will save you money. Also, consider getting a professional to design a logo for you. I fully believe that branding is important and more appealing for potential clients.

What's helped me is looking at other famous tarot readers' websites to see what I like and what I don't. Check out Theresa Reed's and Jess Carlson's websites. They're fun and inviting.

To promote yourself, use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, or even Periscope.

Charge what you feel your time and energy is worth.

That's a good idea - I have looked at many others' websites and you can't help "appraising" in your mind, can you, but I haven't actually set out to form a critical opinion getting clear what works for me and what doesn't. More homework to do! :joke: (Fun to do, luckily.)

I keep wondering about the logo. My eldest is self-employed and his brother designed the logo he uses - they're both still young to have "professional experience" but the eldest has a lot more than me, when it comes to self-promotion etc. I'm going to make the feel of my site pretty minimalistic and calm, with an understated logo, and perhaps I'll do the artwork myself until I hit the big time :)D) and then have it re-done in a more digital way... or perhaps not, I'm thinking on my feet here! but I was thinking naive style anyway... Hm.

I'll look at those websites you mention, and your own. :)

ETA: Also Periscope, which I don't know
... but not your site - it isn't in your profile!