Watching Karma Play Out

GotH

It really has become one of the most over used and misused words in the Western world, imo.
People are definitely using the word in different ways for sure. I'm glad I've been able to read up on several people's views.

The three fold law to me seems like a set of hand cuffs placed on anyone who has chosen to practice whatever form of magic they are attracted to, in order to keep them from actually doing anything substantial. I have read in different books that even the act of asking for prosperity in ones own life is harming someone out there in the universe, so one should not ask for such things. Poppycock!
I agree with you. The universe is abundant in resources. We get what we ask for in some form. It may take some time but it all comes in.

danieljuk

you are so right Prudence about it being so misused and misunderstood from the original idea of it.

This made me think of this short video I saw the other day. :bugeyed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZvYvOkqxA8

I watched it through, so true :( twist it around and some people get nasty!

I agree with you. The universe is abundant in resources. We get what we ask for in some form. It may take some time but it all comes in.

this gives me hope to always remain patient with life and to ask! :) :heart:

celticnoodle

such an interesting thread :thumbsup:

I find how people use or think of Karma, scary! A bit like Nisaba suggested, it's used like religion to control "bad behaviour" but our opinion of that. It's used for judgements against others. I have seen people online and heard them in real life, talk about someone has bad karma who is chronically ill or disabled and that is just horrible! That is not a punishment because the sufferer didn't go to church enough or conform to a clique in society, it's just bad luck.

I will always be shocked at how some people cannot be happy for other people. You can see it on social networks, if someone posts something positive or going good in their life, there will be at least one comment which is better and negative!

I have found my life much more happy since I always wish everyone their happiness and kept my nose out of other people's business. But if I wished someone ill will, will it come back to me? I don't know! there is plenty of horrible people in the world who just keep being horrible! they are mostly extremely rich :bugeyed::)

Well said, Daniel. I, too, feel like it is better to wish everyone well & to be happy for all you have. I think it ridiculous to think that those with an illness or handicap is due to a previous lifes karma payback. If this is true, then I must've been extremely awful in a previous life! But, I am very appreciative of all I have now and share what I have with others too. I think I am a most blessed person, really, so how could my handicaps be a bad karma debt? Besides, I think if karma was true, would it really follow you from one lifetime into another? Why not have have karma in the same lifetime? It seems rather silly it would follow you into the next life.. Why on earth would the next life have to repay a karmic debt when we come into life again with a fresh start? Seems rather pointless to me.

Also, some of the nicest people i know, with hearts of gold are those who have serious handicaps.

Sulis

From what I have read and what I have gleaned from actual Buddhists, Karma has more to do with what may happen to you in your next life, and has a lot to do with what you have done in your previous incarnations than it does with this one right now. It is a long term thing, not an instant thing. When the pseudo Buddhists say things like "oh his karma will get him soon" it makes me think of John Lennon's song, Instant Karma.

It really has become one of the most over used and misused words in the Western world, imo.

The three fold law to me seems like a set of hand cuffs placed on anyone who has chosen to practice whatever form of magic they are attracted to, in order to keep them from actually doing anything substantial. I have read in different books that even the act of asking for prosperity in ones own life is harming someone out there in the universe, so one should not ask for such things. Poppycock! Do what you gotta do in order to survive and try to avoid shooting people with actual guns, since shooting someone would be actually harming someone in the here and now. New Age warnings and admonitions are so full of crap it makes me want to vomit.

Well said prudence, I agree with every word...

And the 'Three fold law'... A made up concept with no basis in anything really....

GotH

And the 'Three fold law'... A made up concept with no basis in anything really....

Are you saying that for as long as I don't get caught, my actions and intent won't draw in consequences? Or they will, just not 3 times worth?

ravenest

From what I have read and what I have gleaned from actual Buddhists, Karma has more to do with what may happen to you in your next life, and has a lot to do with what you have done in your previous incarnations than it does with this one right now. It is a long term thing, not an instant thing. When the pseudo Buddhists say things like "oh his karma will get him soon" it makes me think of John Lennon's song, Instant Karma.

The three fold law to me seems like a set of hand cuffs placed on anyone who has chosen to practice whatever form of magic they are attracted to, in order to keep them from actually doing anything substantial. I have read in different books that even the act of asking for prosperity in ones own life is harming someone out there in the universe, so one should not ask for such things. Poppycock! Do what you gotta do in order to survive and try to avoid shooting people with actual guns, since shooting someone would be actually harming someone in the here and now. New Age warnings and admonitions are so full of crap it makes me want to vomit.

here < lends her his travelling new Age vomit bowl > :)

Its also become a tool of passive revenge .... (like that one ? 'passive revenge' :laugh: )

In Japanese Buddha/Shinto ism ... it seems to have been developed as a shrug off about 'coincidences ' and 'the inevitable' . While in other Buddhist versions karma is more like a law of physics, more an awareness of the 'laws' in operation * than any Jewish-Christian guilt and punishment trip.

* eg. our polluted air and water are our karma ... we are directly effected by the consequences of our actions .

ravenest

Are you saying that for as long as I don't get caught, my actions and intent won't draw in consequences?

One of the oldest questions in philosophy !

" there is plenty of horrible people in the world who just keep being horrible! they are mostly extremely rich "

Curious hmmmm ?

Some people I have spoken to believe in 'Jewish Christian New Age punishment karma' (aside from the horrible idea that all those suffering in the world somehow deserve it, and people that ... 'got the better over them' ... or in some cases by using and oppressing them .. are somehow being justifiably rewarded and the disadvantaged punished for 'past sins' ... ) and declare a 'nasty' person WILL BE punished - eventually.

Of course this brings up the classic 'Hitler question' ; "What ? So Hitler spends his next 40,000 life times being tortured, gassed and murdered ? "

One person even said yes to that ! What sort of a Universe works that way ? ? ? :bugeyed:

Anyway, back to you excellent philosophical question (which now seems at the heart of modern 'ethical' views - especially in politics, economics and law ) . Try a reading of 'Gorgias' by Plato (it is very brief ). Intro - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgias_(dialogue)#The_pitiful_tyrant

Or they will, just not 3 times worth?

Mmmeh ... law of 3 is a pagan paranoia about nasty 'spell work' by people that dont know what they are doing ... its a bit like, 'if you are not an electrician, dont mess with the wires'.

It can be valid, just as its opposite can be valid ; ' no good deed goes unpunished'. I am sure many of us have experienced both 'reward and punishment' stemming from a 'good' act or a 'bad' one ?

But the results we FOCUS on seems to give significance to them .

Sulis

Are you saying that for as long as I don't get caught, my actions and intent won't draw in consequences? Or they will, just not 3 times worth?
I very much believe that our actions have consequences and that what we send out comes back in the form of consequences but 3 times, no... That's something that Gerald Gardner made up and from what I can see and have read, it has no basis in physics, theology or anything else..

ravenest

I wish it did work though.

I had a horrible neighbour and wished they would win the lotto, get rich and move away somewhere else where they would be happy .

Still waiting for my win .

My triple win, that is :)