Your Favorite Underrated Deck...

Grizabella

Right now it's the Motherpeace tarot, of all things!

I bought a little hexagon shaped wooden box at the Dollar Tree a few years ago when I first found tarot and the thought entered my head "Hmmmm, the min-Motherpeace would fit in there." It was the only hexagon shaped box they had left so I bought it and half a dozen others because they'd fit regular tarot decks. I guess the reason the thought entered my mind was because it was the only a) round deck I knew of and b) was the only round mini. I've never been a feminist, so I've never particularly liked or paid attention to the Motherpeace and if anything, I disliked it. (My reasoning was crazy, I know.)

Anyway, recently elf/Satori offered me the mini in a trade. After all, if suddenly it was offered to me and she didn't even know about the little box, then it must be meant to be. I thought that, at long last, the deck to fill that little box had arrived and that would be the end of it. Once I got it, it felt so good in my hands! But I couldn't shuffle it. :(

My next thought was, "Hmmmm, I think I should get the bigger deck because I can't shuffle this little one." So I found a used one on Amazon for about 9 bucks and I thought, "Wow, a deck for 9 bucks! Better grab it." And then started wondering if there would be a used book and-----damn! One for $2.50! Only a fool could pass that one up. And after all, the images on the Motherpeace aren't that standard and I always like to have the book for a deck if I have the deck----and---and even though it's been in print for many years, it's kind of fallen out of favor and might go out of print. :p

So I got the book, too. And theeennnnn----I started kind of peeking into the book here and there----and it's really interesting---------

Soooooo!

red11

You guys are going to laugh your heads off at me...ah well. :)

The Gummy Bear.

Yes, you hear me right. "But it's just a RWS clone with colored bears instead of people," you say.

I didn't expect to love it. It was the perfect price on Amazon to add to my cart and give me free shipping :laugh: . But the more I use it, the more I'm drawn to it...the simplicity of it is exactly what gives it merit. It's refreshing to use a simplistic deck without all of the overly-detailed imagery found in so many decks. But there's just enough detail to give my intuition a springboard.

I like those decks from time to time, but sometimes those cute little colored bears are just what I need when I get overwhelmed with oh so many details...there's too much detail in life already.

Somehow it works.

Oh, and I MUST second the Vision Quest. It is simply stunningly beautiful.

And GREAT story, Solitare! Sounds like it was definitely meant to be!

Chronata

Oh yay!
I am so glad this thread was revived...there are so many great decks...that only we seem to love...and that never get talked about here (that's what my original definition of underrated was...)

But It's time to share the love!!!!!

I think the gummy bear tarot would be an awesome reading deck...but I don't own it yet...

Along with the others I have mentioned here already (The Vision and the Baseball)
I would have to add these decks to the list...

Special decks. Favorite decks...decks that no one talks about much...but ones I wouldn't dream of getting rid of, that I absolutely have nothing bad to say about...decks I would encourage others to check out...

Fradella Adventure...the greatest little comic book super hero deck out there! So what if the charcters aren't the ones you have ever encountered before? They are all archetypes anyway...and based so closely on the real comic ones! And I love the readings with it!

Shakespeare Oracle What a pretty wonderful little literary deck.Haven't owned it for very long, but I absolutely adore it. Used it very recently for a professional gig, and got amazing results!

Ferret Tarot How much do I love the Ferret Tarot? Let me count the ways.... This is my favorite teaching deck(after the RWS)...because it encompasses the meanings of cards so clearly, and doesn't use the standard symbolism to do it. It's sweet, it's funny, and a damn good reading deck, it's made by a fellow ATer, it's really reasonably priced, and it doesn't get nearly the press it deserves!

HarleyQuinnX

My vote is for the Crystal Tarot from Lo Scarabeo.

I like it and I think it's a very accessible Thoth clone. I kinda wish I had bought this before I got the Thoth, as somewhat of a bridge between the illustrated and non-illustrated pips. I'd consider it a "semi-illustrated" pip deck. The pips a scene in the background, but it is crafted using similar colors so it is able to blend into a solid background.

I find the majors very evocative and generally pretty overall. Just thought I'd put my two cents in. :D

~David

ZenMusic

>>OMG, the Stone Tarot!!! I just HAD to look, didn't I?!!

ahhhh, so that made me look, .. beautiful.. have to have it...

WolfSpirit

The Tarot of the Spirit
This one may not go into the category "pretty decks" but I find it very evocative. I love the bold brush strokes on many of the cards. I love the book. The deck speaks its truth clearly but always with compassion as well.
It's a deck that makes me think and feel.

And I agree about the Tarot of the Four Elements, although I have not had much time with it yet. It looks so colourful and simple. I found it cheap via abebooks, very cheap considering the quality of the set of deck and book.
And yes that Devil is quite something :D

Sar

Papageno said:
are there in fact "underrated" decks or simply forgotten or overlooked decks?........which happens so often with the avalanche of so many available old and up and coming new titles.

however, in the spirit of the thread I submit the works of Andrea Serio (Lo Scarabeo) who will (sadly) be leaving LS

Dante
Liber T

No! :sad:

Scion

:( Sar, You said it!! That's a real shame...

Alan Ross

I'd like to mention an entire category of decks that I would consider "underrated": decks published in Asian countries. With the recent exceptions of the Lunatic Tarot and Selena Lin's Manga Tarot, I rarely come across any mention of Asian decks on AT. An excellent site for Asian and Manga style decks is www.mangaart.com.