Your Favorite Underrated Deck...

Cerulean

Just fyi, about Lo Scarabeo's illustrators...

...the cartoon origins of their publishing business seems to show in their style of tarot decks being published.

I've checked some of them online including Trevisan, Nizzoli,
Gaudanzi and many of their other illustrators are known for 'graphic novels'...the two Eastern-touched tarot decks use an illustrator that I think does Disneysque oils, which saddens me when I compare it to the softer watercolor-style done in the "Secrets" or "Renaissance". My comment is on the Marco Polo/Journey to the Orient and Dragons decks--my preference would have been an illustrator with mistier, muted palettes and watercolor styles that remind me of Asian brush painting.

The Fey's anime style from Lo Scarabeo to me seems a friendly choice, may be also an underrated deck...if one likes this modern style of illustration, it's a keeper.

Regards,

Cerulean

Samantha77

Wild Spirit Tarot

I don't know if this is an underrated deck or not but I haven't heard it mentioned too often. My new favorite deck is the Wild Spirit Tarot. I did the most amazing reading for myself with it last night. I did a three card spread, but the reading sort of took on a life of it's own, but I ended up getting exactly what I needed to get from it. It was almost as if three separate characters stepped out of the cards and gave me their advice.

Grizabella

The Wild Spirit is wonderful! I just posted right before you on this thread about that one. I just got it in a trade and it's awesome! Maybe we should start a study on it. What do you think?

Samantha77

I think a study on the Wild Spirit Tarot would be a great idea. I'm just getting acquainted with it, so it would be nice to have other insight on it, and also people to talk about the deck with. I'm new to the boards. How do we start a study?

Emily

I've took a real liking to the 'Beginners guide to Tarot' book and deck set. The deck is usually nicknamed the Sharman Caselli deck.

I like decks that have been nicely drawn and this one has, infact the artwork wouldn't look out of place on a Lo Scarabeo deck.

The Moon card is gorgeous as is the Star and the Empress. The Minors are just as nicely drawn and very detailed. It is a Rider Waite clone so if you wanted to learn Rider Waite symbolism but not use Rider Waite then this deck would be ideal.

It comes with a very useful book which although geared towards a beginner has really opened my eyes to details on cards which I had never seen before or just didn't realise. The more I work with this deck the more I come to like it.

Sometimes in the book and deck sets that are published cheaply the quality of the cards suffer but not so in this deck, these cards are standard sized and look like they could give years of service. :)

Phaedra

Halloween Tarot

I have been quite surprised to find myself using the Halloween Tarot. Usually, I have no patience with novelty decks, but have been charmed by this one. Could be because Halloween is my favorite holiday, too. (http://www.neopagan.net/HalloweenandMe.html)

My husband picked this deck up when he found the cats had damaged the deck he'd brought with him for readings. Minutes after he opened the box, he told me, he was doing great readings with it. Hmm, the black cat arranged for him to buy a deck with black cats.... hmmm....

This morning I drew a card for the day. It was the two of Ghosts (Cups). Moments later, my beloved came down the stairs and gave me a morning kiss. Let us hope the day proceeds as charmingly.

WolfSpirit

I love the Halloween tarot, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. I always use it this time of year :)

northsea

Karma Music by Erfurt - the Majors are great, the Minors use a unique, non-RWS pictorial system. I haven't used it for readings since I'm not familiar with the Minors' meanings. It doesn't seem like many other people use it either.

Chinese by Guoliang - the Minors are another one of those that are based on RWS, but deviate on many cards. Perhaps he didn't really want them to be RWS-based.

Tavaglione (Stairs of Gold) - out-of-print and esoteric, but not popular enough to sell above list price like the Hermetic.

... &

Barbara Walker - some disturbing imagery, but the symbolism shows her esoteric knowledge.

northsea

danubhe said:
My own candidate is one that is supposedly popular, but I never see anyone actually reading with it on here: the Sacred Circle. It's a gorgeous deck even with its flaws; it's been noted that the different methods of illustration fused don't always mesh well. However, the overall effect is lovely.

It's my favorite celtic deck (and favorite Llewellyn deck). I don't prefer photo decks, but this one is an exception. My only significant quibble is I wish the 'devil' card was the Holly King (like the Wheel of Change) instead of the Underworld. The companion book is great, too.

Grizabella

Mesara said:
Ive noticed I am the only outspoken fan of the Russian Tarot of St.Petersburg. I don't know of anyone else on here that uses it.

I use it and love it.