Can Giving Tarot Readings Open Portals?

Jenavid

So I've heard from watching shows like The Dead Files and from a friend that giving tarot readings can open up portals, as in portals in which spirits can come through. I was a bit shocked and spooked when I heard about this and tried to do some research online but there's no definite explanation as to why this could happen (so far as I could see).

I've heard that people could invite positive spirits to help guide readings and that they should always be thanked and let go once a reading is over. Would positive energies count as positive spirits?

My main questions are:

1. Do tarot readings open up portals?

2. Have you experienced anything like that after a tarot reading? Did you experience anything mysterious occurring in your home that can't be easily explained (i.e. spirit activity)?

3. If you did experience paranormal activity, how did you deal with it?

Hope to finally get some insight from you all.

Alta

I have long suspected that the particular one is a. a lovely movie and TV plot device, not to be confused with reality and b. used by people who are looking for anything, however fantastical, to dissuade you from tarot.

Only in your mind to give you a wider view of people and your life. Not portals in the movie and religious superstition sense of allowing demons in. Tarot does open for you but only in the sense making you more open and receptive to the world and those around you, not whatever you saw in movies or TV.

2. Have you experienced anything like that after a tarot reading? Did you experience anything mysterious occurring in your home that can't be easily explained (i.e. spirit activity)?

Right after a tarot reading or in any way linked to tarot, no. I suspect that most of us, especially the type of people here, do indeed experience a certain amount of inexplicable happenings. I have always been like that. Tarot helps rather than anything.

There are probably people here better to answer that. Generally I take note of what happened, think about it and move on.

danieljuk

This is a tricky one to answer because no one has one definite answer of how tarot works :) Alta is completely right that it's a prop for tv and films, "I pulled Death and then all these spirits entered the house" :)

Some people say the cards are just random (or mathematical / statistical), some believe it's just a mirror of ourselves, some people believe it takes a universal energy and others contacting spirits and the other side. Unless you believe that the source of the messages comes from the undead or spirit world, this can't be true. I believe the cards are just cardboard and it's us which is the energy and if that is the case, can we ourselves open portals based on this idea? I am really sceptical, I have NEVER seen anyone post about having spirits come out when doing tarot on the time I have been on AT and there is thousands of tarot users and fans here! For me I feel completely safe with it!

I think though that some people contact their spirit guides with tarot and that is their method and belief. I still don't think that is the same thing as opening a portal, these are people who are guardians of you and look after you.

But perhaps I am a little hypocritical because I would be scared to use an ouija board and I do have worries about protection and not meddling in things I don't know. Those boards also have a negative image from tv and films but to me it's out of my comfort zone.

My intuition has become so much stronger with divination and weird synchronicities and events happen to me so much now! But that is me, not the cards :)

Jenavid

Thanks, Alta!

I have long suspected that the particular one is a. a lovely movie and TV plot device, not to be confused with reality and b. used by people who are looking for anything, however fantastical, to dissuade you from tarot.

Oh yes, I am a sucker for that type of "reality" television >_< ::sigh:: I'm so naive it hurts, haha. And yes, rumors/superstitions can be used to dissuade (I gotta keep that in mind!).

"Tarot does open for you but only in the sense making you more open and receptive to the world and those around you"

So true! Thanks again for your wonderful insight. I should always keep a skeptical eye on whatever I see in the media, there's always a reason why they make things so fantastical (ratings = moolah).

Jenavid

But perhaps I am a little hypocritical because I would be scared to use an ouija board and I do have worries about protection and not meddling in things I don't know. Those boards also have a negative image from tv and films but to me it's out of my comfort zone.

Of course dealing with things we're unfamiliar with and have no control over is scary, totally agree with you.

My intuition has become so much stronger with divination and weird synchronicities and events happen to me so much now! But that is me, not the cards :)

I'm very comforted to know that it is the individual and not the physical cards that are picking up these "weird synchronicities". Whew. Thank you for your input, Danieljuk!

Desecrated

Nope.

This is part of the new evangelical christian right wing. Everything new age is consider Satanistic.
Yoga, Tarot, Ouija boards, watching horror movies and all sort of belief in atheism or aliens are sure sign of devils and evil.

In their belief ghosts don't exists, since everyone either goes to heaven or hell, so the spirits people think are ghosts have to be demonic influences.

Citrin

I don’t believe that at all. Only if you choose to call on spirits through your tarot card, then it could be possible. I have never called on spirits when using my cards, and I’ve never had anything like that happen to me.

I haven’t experienced anything paranormal when using my tarot cards, though I’ve had what could be called ”psychic flashes” in my mind. I personally don’t believe that is something paranormal, but someone else might… Oh well, these are just my beliefs and thoughts, highly personal. :) I can add that I would personally never ever use an ouija board or allow it in my home, I consider them very dangerous. But I use tarot and oracle cards daily. ;)

nisaba

So I've heard from watching shows like The Dead Files and from a friend that giving tarot readings can open up portals, as in portals in which spirits can come through.
A portal is simply a doorway. You can create a "portal" or doorway that a spirit can come through by looking in a mirror. By thinking about a dead grandparent. By looking at a photo of a dead historical character.

Spirits are no different in death than in life. Most people are basically decent, and just feel flattered if you remember them.

(Most are not actually all that wise, either, you can channel complete rubbish).

How scary are spirits? Are they solid? No. Can they hurt you? no. Can they make you do something you don't want to do? No.

And in any case, from the instant you were born to the moment you die, you are never, ever alone, You are surrounded by spirits *all* the time. Have they harmed you so far? Your superstitious fear of hocus-pocus will harm you more than spirits ever will.

I've heard that people could invite positive spirits to help guide readings
Well, you can, but I don't generally bother. I've been using Tarot for a little while now, and I know it well enough to read without a teacher present, either a teacher in a body or a teacher who is currently not in a body.

Yes. So does standing under waterfalls or walking through gates.

"Spirit activity" is hard to explain? I live surrounded by friends. Many of them have died. There's nothing hard to explain about it.

I'm friendly with them. I talk to them, I laugh with them. On the birthday of one of them I make pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast, eat my serve and compost his later. It was a habit between us in life, neither of us sees any reason to stop it now that he's dead. On the death-days of those whose death-days I know, I light a candle for them. If they turn up, I am friendly. Honestly, I don't know why people get so anxious about visits from friends.

Achlys

As someone who has used both ouija boards and tarot cards, no nothing insane or ridiculous happens. Your house doesn't turn upside down, spirits don't start possessing people, nothing like that ever happens.
Spirits can "sit" with you and aid in your readings. Sometimes I feel like I have someone on my shoulder who helps me out when I'm stuck. You can call on them for guidance. But really for me that's the extent of it. Sometimes they hang around a little but never for long.

EmpressArwen

My main questions are:

In my opinion, yes it can. But as Nisaba pointed out, lots of activities can do the same thing...and I think it also depends on who you are and your gift/energy level. A budding medium would probably attract more spirits than someone who isn't.

Yes. Yes. I've had that my entire life but it does increase if I'm doing a lot of readings...not sure why that is though.

Depends on what kind of paranormal activity we are talking about...someone's grandma comes through? I do nothing but say hello and wish them well. Something else? Get rid of it as fast as possible using my personal belief system.