Nightmares

Emma313

Nightmares

How do you deal with them?

I know after having them i will be ok with daily life a couple hours after i wake up..last nght i had a particularly nasty one....i woke up at 3am and was scared to go back to sleep...pisses me off sometimes...its like my left eye has been twitching for a week plus.,,what does it mean?

RiverRunsDeep

I write all the details of my nightmares in my dream journal. Sometimes, it helps me to figure out the meaning. Sometimes, I have no idea what it means but it helps to put the nightmare on paper and out of my mind.

If you post the details of your nightmare, maybe someone could help you to interpret the meaning.

Tanga

Twitching eyes for me usually means I'm tired. I've been burning the candle too much at both ends (usually - it's voracious reading that I can't put down, which causes this...)
Though - it could also be magnesium deficiency...

Nightmares...
I'm a lucid dreamer - so for me - I usually either change the nightmare whilst I'm dreaming it.
OR - force myself to wake up and then deliberately steer my thoughts away from it until I feel calm.
I may, when I lie back down to go to sleep - "program" myself by saying, over and over "I will only dream good dreams tonight". (My father taught me this originally, positive dreaming affirmations when I was a child).
If (rarely) I wake up horribly rattled by a bad dream - I may actually get up and do a banishing ritual of some sort - as I'm Wiccan and enjoy and believe, in the mental effect of such things on myself.

I also have a dream diary in which I write things down, like RiverRunsDeep. I find this very helpful.
I've done this for years and also have a couple of dream dictionaries to get some ideas of what might be going on in my subconscious if I can't work it out.
These days (after many years of writing and practicing this) - I only write things down if I don't recognise what they mean/are related to, are unusual, or re-cur so much, that I know I need to do some conscious processing in order to let them pass.

EXAMPLE of a re-curring nightmare I used to have (which I now recognise and manipulate lucidly if I have a similar one again):
I'm fighting vampires. (like in my own version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer :joke: Infact, in the very first episode of this nightmare I exclaimed "where's Buffy when you need her??!!" :joke: ).
This dream is my subconscious telling me that I am fighting a kidney infection - I later learned (kidney infection=peeing blood. Loosing blood=Vampires you see. Interesting subconscious :) ).
If in my dream, I am able to vanquish the vampires - I know when I wake up, that with my own alternative interventions I should be able to cure myself.
BUT, if in the dream I loose - then I know when I wake up - that I should go and see my doctor and get some antibiotics for the infection.
I've managed for many years without the antibiotics now. :)

I'm so sorry that you are suffering this.
I hope that it gets better.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Emily

Dream Catchers, I've mentioned them on here before, mainly because I've seen how successful they can be. When he was little my son used to suffer with night terrors, upsetting for everyone but he wouldn't remember them. He seemed to grow out of them, then he started to have really bad nightmares, one's he did remember.

A friend of mine had mentioned dream catchers before so I bought one for him, he had one last terrifying nightmare on the night I hung it in his room and then no more. This was around 10 years ago, the nightmares never came back and that dream catcher still hangs in his room.

It might be worth trying.

Emma313

I write all the details of my nightmares in my dream journal. Sometimes, it helps me to figure out the meaning. Sometimes, I have no idea what it means but it helps to put the nightmare on paper and out of my mind.

If you post the details of your nightmare, maybe someone could help you to interpret the meaning.

I used to write them down and never read back lol and eve if I did I disregarded as a "just a dream" that I didint understand....I do believe dreams play a purpose...But a benign non essential one...i mean if you dont study them ts no big deal...theres little to guide and alot to say they are a fusion of too much go decipher, thank you

Emma313

Twitching eyes for me usually means I'm tired. I've been burning the candle too much at both ends (usually - it's voracious reading that I can't put down, which causes this...)

Nightmares...
I'm a lucid dreamer - so for me - I usually either change the nightmare whilst I'm dreaming it.
OR - force myself to wake up and then deliberately steer my thoughts away from it until I feel calm.
I may, when I lie back down to go to sleep - "program" myself by saying, over and over "I will only dream good dreams tonight". (My father taught me this originally, positive dreaming affirmations when I was a child).
If (rarely) I wake up horribly rattled by a bad dream - I may actually get up and do a banishing ritual of some sort - as I'm Wiccan and enjoy and believe, in the mental effect of such things on myself.

I also have a dream diary in which I write things down, like RiverRunsDeep. I find this very helpful.
I've done this for years and also have a couple of dream dictionaries to get some ideas of what might be going on in my subconscious if I can't work it out.
These days (after many years of writing and practicing this) - I only write things down if I don't recognise what they mean/are related to, are unusual, or re-cur so much, that I know I need to do some conscious processing in order to let them pass.

EXAMPLE of a re-curring nightmare I used to have (which I now recognise and manipulate lucidly if I have a similar one again):
I'm fighting vampires. (like in my own version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer :joke: Infact, in the very first episode of this nightmare I exclaimed "where's Buffy when you need her??!!" :joke: ).
This dream is my subconscious telling me that I am fighting a kidney infection - I later learned (kidney infection=peeing blood. Loosing blood=Vampires you see. Interesting subconscious :) ).
If in my dream, I am able to vanquish the vampires - I know when I wake up, that with my own alternative interventions I should be able to cure myself.
BUT, if in the dream I loose - then I know when I wake up - that I should go and see my doctor and get some antibiotics for the infection.

I'm so sorry that you are suffering this.j

Thanks for reading and replying tanga, omg, your dream of fghting vampires was a health problem ....goes to show how dreams can be.....a
A bit like tarot cards, all about nterpretation.....
Hey Im not suffering."just had a stupid nightmare
I hope you get well x

Emma313

It was quite sick

I wouldnt want anyone to interpret it

Well, i was chased and i fought back but in the endwas a woman committed a woman who was like a corpse and bits missing...and being in a mental experimengal institution .and enjoying making me mad and scaring me...horrble..u know what, i think iwas watching too many episodes of criminal minds.....ps my daily lfe is good

Emma313

Nightmares...

I'm so sorry that you are suffering this.j

Thanks for reading and replying tanga, omg, your dream of fghting vampires was a health problem ....goes to show how dreams can be.....a
A bit like tarot cards, all about nterpretation.....
Hey Im not suffering."just had a stupid nightmare
I hope you get well x

Tanga

...Well, i was chased and i fought back but in the endwas a woman committed a woman who was like a corpse and bits missing...and being in a mental experimengal institution .and enjoying making me mad and scaring me...horrble..u know what, i think iwas watching too many episodes of criminal minds.....ps my daily lfe is good

:) Worried we might think otherwise? :)
Yes - I usually know immediately (whilst I'm dreaming because I'm a lucid dreamer) if my nightmares are related to what I've been watching on the box, or if they're my subconscious processing something. That's come from all the exercises of writing them down and observing the patterns of my dreams - plus using a dream dictionary (and at one point I even had a psychotherapist who was really good a dream interpretation. I loved her sessions. Shame she moved far away to the country).

Thanks for reading and replying tanga, omg, your dream of fghting vampires was a health problem.
I hope you get well x

:) As said, I rarely dream about vampires anymore because I'm more practiced at managing this health problem now. But it re-curred a lot when I first began suffering the problem and didn't know why or what the clear signs of it were.

Ace

these sound very painful to have, Emma313. One think that can help: shake your head when you wake up. that will get them OUT of your head (if you move, you forget your dreams, if you want to remember your dreams, think about them after you wake up and BEFORE you move. )

Also, look at where you are. Reality check yourself. Feel your bed and pillow and remind yourself where you are and that you are safe.

This dream (I am sorry I am not a great interpreter) seems to show you are feeling pulled in a lot of different directions and being pressured a lot. And, yeah, I would hold off on more Criminal Minds marathons!

barb