Rune Stones or Decks?

Umbrae

Rhiannon: Do me a favor and let’s make a deal. I am currently working on a “monograph” to go with a rune sets.

Here’s the deal…Do not buy a deck or stones.

In two weeks (plus or minus) I will send you (free of charge) a set of stones with my monograph.

Try them for two weeks. Keep them the rest of your life. No charge, no strings. But judge them for yourself…

If it sounds like a deal, send me a mailing address to my personal folder (or e-mail).

Kewl?

blumoon

i have the haindl rune oracle deck and it is a beautiful deck, the cards are very well done (got me thinking about aquiring the haindl tarot deck arghhhhh :) ) when i first started to learn about runes i decided to make my own, they're not great looking mind you but good enough...i say go with what you feel, if you want to get a deck get a deck but remember, dont treat them like tarot cards cause they are not, runes are a completely different kettle of fish! the book that came with the haindl rune deck is VERY deep and it will take me a long time to get through it :)

Malachite

Umbrae:...If you're giving out free Rune sets....*hint hint*
;-)

Just realised there were pics...
I think they capture the meanings well, especially Nauthiz, but I'm a little sceptical on Ansuz....Is that Odin borrowing Bragi's Harp and Horn, or Bragi borrowing Odin's Ravens?...hmmm...

On the whole, i think I;m sticking with my stones...

Liliana

Free runes hehe

Yeah really, if you want to give away runes, I know of a poor homemaker whose husband is a college student who could use some lol, your personal symbol sounds really cool, whats it called?

Umbrae

Hmmmmm up to 3 now, one with international shipping...hmmmm
We shall see...Still be a couple of weeks...hmmm
Here's the real deal...Are you truly interested in runes?
Is it a lark?
Should we start a new Rune Thread?
What do you guys want?
From runes, and what can I help you with?

Rhiannon

What do I want from Runes?

I'm not really sure. I've never used them before. I figured I'd try them out and see how I like them. I'd probably use them in conjuction with Tarot.

Aside from the deck I posted above, these are what sort of intrigued me: http://www.awarenessshop.com/OnLineStore/Divination/cronestones.html but they aren't really Runes, per se. A woman who owns a local occult bookstore has them on her counter and you can pull a stone and see what it means by the little booklet it comes with. But, again, they aren't runes.

So, my question is.... I guess.... what SHOULD I be asking and what can Runes be used for? Divination only? I'm just not sure.

Rhiannon :)

Malachite

I ask the same thing about tarot, frequently, and often...

I think Runes can be used for anything, although, since you have 24/25 symbols, the concepts can be more *primeval*....emotions are much easier to convey with Runes, and the ideas can be much simpler...when i draw runes, i usually draw the first two together, to get a more complex idea than one rune would give....ie, Love+Need, or Conflict+Out of your hands....

On the other hand, drawing fewer runes is much easier (for me, at any rate), for giving a basic, understandable answer for a question, although that might be a matter of acquaintance...

again, emphasising the *primeval*, especially with matched stone sets....the energies are a lot stronger than mass-printed cards...

Malachite

more random thinking,,,

wow...crone stones....is it me, or does that sound like a catch-phrase?...;)

Runes can be used for Divination in the fortunetelling sense, or as a method of seeing what is going on in the present...

I use them for:

Future Divination
Solving my own Emotional difficulties...hearing it from *someone else* breaks through my usual denial problem...
Casting circles in rituals
Making Runescripts, as spells, and as protective/blessing influences...
A handy character set for writing things other people can;t read :)))

will think about more things...

Oh...a handy beginners book...mildly heretical by some standards, but useful nontheless...
" A Practical Guide to THE RUNES"....by Lisa Peschel...Llewellyn's New Age Series....ISBN 0-87542-593-3

Includes 25th, hence the hereticism, but explains them pretty well..Refers only to the runes themselves, not to their origin, other functions, or surrounding culture, which is a downside, but there are plenty of other texts and e-texts to help with that...

Umbrae:...I start rune threads every so often, but they tend to sink without trace after about 6 replies or so...I guess there just aren't enough of us here....!

Umbrae

(Evil laugh, evil grin)…Well there are two of us now…
But I run from your 25th rune! Heretic I say!
But that’s okay, the universe is big enough for both of us.

I use Runes in the following ways:

As an adjunct for a card reading.

A head’s up before meeting with clients (non-psychic types).

A quickie reading.

In depth readings.

Runes provide a very different outlook on things. In some ways simpler, because you only have 24 symbols (TWENTY FOUR!!! DO YOU HEAR ME…sorry).

But once you develop a relationship with them, they provide very specific advice.

I like them a lot.

All 24 of them.

He, he, he, he…

Another thought.

They are stone. Not paper.

I prefer onyx, because it works with the base chakra, (Base of Yggdrasill).

Runes were the earliest known divination method used by western man.

I am western. I just don’t relate to I-Ching, etc.

The Tarot evolved from Runes (so they say).

They make nice rattleing sounds in their bag (in case you need a rattle, yours is home and there are no tic-tac boxes about).

Liliana

Well, I havent had a set of runes in years, but I was interested in them before I was interested in Tarot. I love their earthy, deep feel, and I think they often get to the point quicker than Tarot. I also really like the method of reading them that includes dumpingthebag onto the cloth and reading the face up runes, and seeing how close the runes are to each other. That gives good insight. They are also helpful in magickal workings :)