Rune Stones or Decks?

Kiama

Thanks for the link, Umbrae! I've read why there is a theory that Tarot came from Runes, an decided its pants! (IMO) Of couse there are gonna be Runes that match with the Tarot... The Runes are also based on human experience of the world around us, as is the Tarot, thus they both work on the same 'archtypes'.

Kiama

Kiama

Umbrae said:
[BRunes were the earliest known divination method used by western man.

[/B]

Are you sure? I'm gonna research this a bit more...

Kiama

Umbrae

Cool...When I stated "Western Man", I should have said "European, excluding the Oracle of Delphi, and the innards used by the Romans".

I am specifically thinking of Northern Germanic/Celtic peoples.

Is that clear? Or am I rambling? It's early...Off to pop a bonnet and wake up.

Malachite

WElll..that narrows it down enough anyway...
its like saying that coffee was the first stimulant used by people on the island of guernsey...it doesn;t set any new order of precedence...;)

Umbrae

Oh man, Malachite...
It all goes back to the definition of Western Man. Some folks include the Mediterranean peoples, others do not.
Some folks thought that Europeans were primitive until the Roman Catholic Church “Educated” them, brought them out of darkness, and taught them technology.
Now they discover that the Europeans were far more advanced that previously thought, until the Romans, and/or the Roman Catholic Church “Educated” them…
Get what I’m trying to say? I can’t communicate today, and I apologize.
Check out the website and look at the layout of the migration of letters, it is very cool (posted above).
As for coffee being the first stimulant used by people on the island of Guernsey…

Kiama

The Runes seem to be the oldest divination method used by Celtic/Germanic peoples ON RECORD However, we cannot deny that divination to find out the most auspicious times to do things such as hunt, harvest, etc, was very important to all peoples, and the Runes were used for writing too, which is why we have record of them. Maybe ancient man from the Germanic area used to use flat stones, or leaves, but we just don't have a record of that.

Also, I think there is an earlier method on record, used by the peoples in the Celtic lands around 1500 bce. Ancient Celtic doctors/physicians have been found buried with what appear to be copper and bronze sticks, of no medical purpose. Archaologists have decided they were used for divination with relation to medicine.

Kiama

Umbrae

"Ancient Celtic doctors/physicians have been found buried with what appear to be copper and bronze sticks, of no medical purpose. Archaologists have decided they were used for divination with relation to medicine."

Very cool...I wanna know more! Point me in the correct direction!

Kiama

Oh gosh! I've gotta see if I've still got the TV program I saw it on recorded! There was a really good documentary on, just after the Harry Potter film came out, which busted all the myths about wizards, and explored the origins of the stereotype we see now. I'll try and find it, but I can't guarantee I've still got it! (Hope I have!)

Kiama

Malachite

Umbrae...
No worries...I;m in the same state...(hence the coffee/guernsey analogy...not good)...

Definitions like 'western' are difficult because they are temporary and new...A thousand years ago they were strong...two thousand years ago the ancestors of half the eastern europeans lived in China. Three thousand years ago, the Greeks had not emigrated into Greece.
Six thousand years ago, the ancestors of the Basques and Irish were the native peoples of Europe, and everyone else's Europeans still lived in Kazakhstan....

But I think, people used things like Bird flights, Rainfall, Spirit Guides, and the Entrails of animals all the way back to the First Migration....Rune and Ogam staves have been recorded in use since 100BCE, and presumably go a little farther back than that...

On the other hand, it is one of the old Methods...not much younger than I Ching, and over a thousand older that Tarot, and probably crystallomancy (not including water work...)

*finding himself miles off topic, and short of water...*

Phoenix

I have been wanting the Power of The Runes deck for a little while. I personally love working with the runes, be it stones, wood or cards.