Dreamscapes

joya250

hi :)

okay... I don't know if it is just me (and pretty sure it's not)... but I tend to have a collection of dreamscapes that I have accumulated over the years. By dreamscapes I mean the setting/environment/and overall general feeling in which a dream takes place. I do not go to these places EVERY night, but often enough that they are quite familiar. So, for example, one night I might find myself in "the" basement... another night I may find myself in "the" woods, etc.

I didn't realize how many places I had built up until the other night I got the urge to record, write down, and "map" all my dreamscapes. It was a very intense exercise -- and I highly reccommend doing this yourself! As I wrote, I could see each one vividly -- and let my fingers do the typing as the images and emotions came in. Ended up with about 10 typed pages! When I reviewed it, it became clear to me that several of my dreamscapes were actual places that I had been in my childhood... though warped by how I had percieved them and by the hopes/fears/emotions I experienced in those places. It was interesting that I had dream rooms constructed that corolated directly to actual rooms in the house I grew up in.... and it helped to see the overall themes of these places, when looked at as a collective. It was also interesting that although the majority of the places related to memories of this life -- others seemed to relate to emotions/feelings of "other lives" or even of the process of birth... and death...

guess I had built up my own in little setting in the astral via my subconscious without realizing it... however, I am hoping by this exercise (bringing it into the conscious mind), I am able to deconstruct the projections in the astral... leaving "clean" space... in which I can explore, rather than be fenced in by my "private collection."

.... just thought I'd share this process with you all. maybe it would be an interesting exercise to try for yourselves?

- edited for spelling mistakes -

truthsayer

i think what you've done is a very good idea. i know i have certain dreamscapes i return to but i don't have good recall at the moment what they are. i think i should try it b/c i may find a meaningful pattern. i know some of the scenes are from childhood memories just like you described. others aren't as easily recognizable.

do you meet ppl in your dream life that you know in dreams but not in your waking life? i do this all the time and find it so frustrating when i can't remember what the person's name or who s/he is to me in the dream.

joya250

truthsayer said:

do you meet ppl in your dream life that you know in dreams but not in your waking life? i do this all the time and find it so frustrating when i can't remember what the person's name or who s/he is to me in the dream.

hey Truth! :)

actually... no. I haven't met new people in my dreams. I realized when I was analyzing my dreamscapes... that there was usually just ME ... all by myself... and if there was people, they were shadows of people I had known at some point in "real life." (one of the the things I noticed was a great sense of Alone-ness ... sigh. sniff. sniff.) .......

but that is interesting.... perhaps these are people you knew in a past life... or will know in the future... or perhaps they exist in another realm... hmmmmm... or maybe just different parts of yourself projected?

truthsayer

joya250 said:
but that is interesting.... perhaps these are people you knew in a past life... or will know in the future... or perhaps they exist in another realm... hmmmmm... or maybe just different parts of yourself projected?

maybe all those suggestions are true. i've often wondered if i was in contact w/ spirit guides b/c they've given me messages to remember when i woke. they've also told me things i wasn't allowed to remember. so frustrating!!!! in those dreams i vaguely recollect being in a place w/ columns like a greek temple sitting talking w/ some ppl. i think a dream journal will be helpful. i'd be interested in hearing more about your dreamscapes.

joya250

truthsayer said:

i'd be interested in hearing more about your dreamscapes.

well.... haha. here is a brief except... kind of to give you a flavor of how it flowed... not looking for an interpretation by any means! just sharing....

----- The yard and the woods -- a definite sense in the woods of a path, that taken too far, will lead into evil territories, populated by things I don't want to meet -- whether that be supernatural forces or mundane, who will stop at nothing. Things appear by the edge of the forest, in the long grassy field. Sometimes wild animals, such as viscious dogs, wolves, lions, etc. Other times "not quite right in the head" men, that walk up from the highway. Sometimes I use the tall grass in which to hide. Other times I run to the house. The majority of the time, when I'm in the house, the phone by the front door doesn't work. I can never get through or connect. Other times the lock on the door is faulty. When I'm in the house, the rooms are the rooms of my childhood, with the exception being of the bedroom that I occupied upstairs from my adolescenes onward. Usually when I'm in this room, I am concerned with appearance -- choosing clothes, mostly. And concenred about missing the bus to school -- and getting somewhere on time. I am always late..... ------

stuff like that! pages and pages. haha. I should charge myself for this!

Ravenswing

joya--

yeah, i've got a collection of dreamscapes that i go to from time to time. most are vivid enough that i could paint them... (maybe i should try??)

there are some i haven't been to in quite a while, and a few that keep cropping up. lately, i seem to be building (tapping into??) a neighborhood that is a close parallel to the one i grew up in-- somewhere urban philadelphia. it's densely populated, i'm meeting people i almost know, and getting to find my way around. it's pretty big-- better than a few dozen city blocks in both directions-- and getting clearer as time goes on. and events are more or less normal ones.

and more...

ravenswing

purplelady

Oh, what an interesting post!
There are Many places I find myself in dreams. Sometimes it is exactly as in real life, (or seems to be), example: my house , or my room , or my school, or my parents house etc.
But I'd say More Often it may be "my house" But it is different in some way OR in the Dream , to my dream self it is "my house" but when I wake up I realize it is somewhat or totally different than "normal". In fact I dream a lot that I am in "my house" but it's an unfamiliar house upon awakening.
Then there are places that aren't exactly as familiar to my waking self, but I'd say this is more rare..............places that I'm not sure what they are, a courthouse or temple. I often dream I'm at a school, or a shopping mall.
I dream of talking to people who I know In The Dream All The Time! But I don't know them upon awakening. It is such a common occurance that I wouldnt've thought of it until you mentioned it Truthsayer!
I have this belief that there IS a shared "dreamscape" , perhaps the astral plane or something like that. Also, the "dead" and the living mingle freely and you can't much tell the difference.
I also think that the "dreamscape" or innerscape is as Infinite as outer space is , Literally.