Why runes are NOT as popular as tarots ?

Umbrae

AngelC said:
...I actually put them away and stopped trying to use them because I didn't like the sound the stones made when moving against each other in that bag.
OMG...that is the most wonderful sound! It's right up there with waterfalls or surf! Or when stones laugh together in the surf...and then you reach in for those cool stones...
Runes can be experienced on many levels.

sharpchick

AngelC said:
I guess I'm off to find my bag of runes. I never thought of them being so closely related to the tarot cards. It will be interesting to see how a daily rune will work with my daily card.
This is going to sound so weird but I actually put them away and stopped trying to use them because I didn't like the sound the stones made when moving against each other in that bag.

I can see where a heavy, thunking or thudding kind of sound might put you off. That's just one of the things I love about my set of bone runes - they are very much like little chimes clicking together in the bag.

AngelC

No no, it's not the weight of the stones, it's the uneven surface making a scraping sound.
But I found them :) and my old journal and the book that came with the runes, time to read up on them.

Umbrae

AngelC said:
...making a scraping sound...

That’s what I was talking about when I said, “that is the most wonderful sound! It's right up there with waterfalls or surf! Or when stones laugh together in the surf...and then you reach in for those cool stones...Runes can be experienced on many levels.”

Sound

Tactile

Intellectual

Spiritual

blackstormhawk

AngelC said:
No no, it's not the weight of the stones, it's the uneven surface making a scraping sound.
But I found them :) and my old journal and the book that came with the runes, time to read up on them.

You have the Blum runes, don't you? That ceramic scrapy noise is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

And the book isn't very good on runes. Blum did some things that make runemeisters nuts. I wasn't able to learn the runes until I got away from his books, interestingly.

Try the rune books by Edred Thorsson, like Futhark or Runelore. I've also heard good things about Diana Paxon's newish book, but I haven't read it myself.

I have sets of runes in wood, sodalite, and quartz. One of my friends has rutilated quartz and they are beautiful.

chrisam-crystals

why not make some yourself if you don't like the ones you already have?

it also makes you closer to the runes as you have put a lot of energy into them.

even simple polished glass pebbles that are put into flower vases can be used - buy some glass paint and paint on the rune symbols!

or perhaps some large tumbled crystals like clear quartz or rose quartz - you can still use glass paint on these too.

if you have a carpenter in the family - or a handy hubby ;) - find a fallen branch in your local woods/forest which is the thickness of your choice, thank the tree from which it fell, saw them into discs, sand them a little, draw/burn/carve the runes onto them and then seal with varnish.

there loads of diferent mediums to use for making runes, and it is sooooo much fun!

jue xx

Umbrae

Onyx stones make lovely sounds together in their bag...

Fire Storm

How do you make your own set of runes? I'd love to make some out of stone. Could I paint the runes on them? What can I fix it with though to make sure the paint doesn't come off? Are those paint pens good for this?

Fire Storm

So you don't have to put a fixative on them?