Why runes are NOT as popular as tarots ?

wonko

Dead on

Umbrae said:
Great points Sue and Helvetica.

I’ve been using Runes for…I don’t know. Seven years? Eight? Beats me…I still get nice short to-the-point brutal readings from Runes. And always…dead on. No monkey business…just the message.

For a pro-reader it’s difficult to have somebody sit down for a reading, pull 5-Runes and 2 minutes later the reading is done. Over. Next.

But they always mesh with Tarot readings so they make a nice ‘value added’ thing for readings.

But for navigating your way though life, or digging below the refuse of denial to get to the root causes of issues – give me Runes.

That said…please look around you…there’s a whole gaggle of folks (now this is simply opinion, so don’t get too excited) who prefer rose-colored glasses, they like to soften things; look at the preponderance of Sunny Bunny decks, the "wrap it up in a pink bubble and I’ll have nice chilled Chablis please" new-age spirituality folks…runes cut through the layers of false spirituality pretty damned quick…

But then that’s my opinion. :smoker:

you sir, I like. We have far too many fluffy bunnies here in the Bay Area. I suspect the function of people like ourselves is to be "on the real", as the kids say.

ilweran

I'm new here & just wanted to mention my experience with runes- I have rune stones, the Haindl rune deck and the Witches Runes deck by Nigel Jackson.

I find they're a lot more serious and less 'forgiving' than tarot. I've never had any tarot deck not give me a reading, even if the person I was reading for wasn't taking it seriously. When that happened with runes I got no reading at all.

I've also found with them that sometimes I have a strong feeling to include the blank rune- I usually leave this out- and if I follow this feeling it always comes up in the reading.

Ulfdis

Helvetica said:
That is both the appeal of runes - and the reason many people have trouble picking them up. To be used well, they demand that you recast yourself along that bridge in time, that you learn something of the shaman and the preliterate Norseman for whom the runic alphabet is not only a technological find, but also magic - the mark of the breath of god upon us, the password to a different consciousness. And then, that you bring it back that knowledge and use it here, now, today, a world away from the shamanic Norsemen.

We are far closer to the Renaissance than we are to the Vikings, even for the redheaded blue-eyed among us. We know how to read pictures, we live in a world of image. But only Kabbalists know how to read alphabets as magic and the creative force of god. So for most people, who are not Kabbalists or Norse mythologers, or shamans, it is a plunge in a strange world, in which we have few bearings.

Of course, for some (like me ;)) - that's the attraction...

I've had an on-again, off-again relationship with the Runes. They are more demanding than Tarot, to me. They are a gift from Odin, and it is difficult for me to sit down and ask a frivolous question with them.

Maybe it's just my inner cartoonist gone wild, but I can just hear (sounding like Jack Palance) Odin saying "I hung on the Tree for nine days and nights with a spear in my gut and a noose around my neck to give you all this gift... and you want to know if so-and-so wants to go on a date Friday night?"

Tarot is like a four-door midsize sedan, with seat belts, automatic transmission, and power steering. Safe, comfortable, anyone could drive one. Runes are like a Harley.

Webwitch

sunstallion said:
I cannot find the answer to my question at all "why runes are not as popular as tarots ?" I mean most psychics dont use it to aid their readings. Even people who dont do psychics dont use it, but they use tarots instead. I wonder why ? why runes cannot get the attention like tarots do ?

Probably because they are associated to particular traditions, i.e. the northern pagan religions, whereas tarot is universal and not aligned to any particular faith. Unlike tarot, they form an alphabet and, as such, a can be used for language, and, perhaps, that makes them more complicated to learn. Not only that, there is no standardised form for them. There are a few futharks that have differing numbers of runes and differing symbols.

Tarot decks are standardised: 78 cards (22 majors 56 minors consisting of four suits).

Depending on the number of runes, they are laid out differently and in slightly varying orders. Much harder to fathom, IMO.

sharpchick

I also have to wonder if the lesser degree of popularity here is because this is a tarot message board. I haven't looked on the net to see if there is one primarily devoted to runes.

Hmmm. . .