Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

rwcarter

WolfSpirit said:
I am not studying very intensively at the moment but I have stayed faithfulAnd I have stayed away from the Tarot Deck section almost completely - and strangely, I feel free and relieved now !
I have quite a lot of decks, and there is always someone asking a question about a deck I have. So I would always look for that deck, answer questions etc., even if I was not working with that deck. Only now I realise how much time and energy this cost me. Which is not bad, as long as I enjoy it - but I realise now I like not having to talk about any decks except for the one that is getting my full attention now.
Does anyone else feel like this ?
On more than one occasion since I've started the IDS I've been up out of my chair and halfway to the bookcases where the deck collection lives before I stopped myself. I read about other decks in the Tarot Decks forum, but mostly at work where I don't have access to those particular decks. And while I said I wouldn't look at images of other decks during the IDS, I've found that it doesn't matter if I do. Looking at an image from another deck doesn't make me want to go grab that deck. I've pledged to stick with my IDS through mid June and that's what I'm gonna do.

Speaking of the IDS, I'm almost ready to post on the last of the Majors. I think that will be the 5th Major that I will have been the first person to post on. In the original incarnation of the study group, they never got to the Minors, so those will all be me. And I hope to get them all done by May 15th.

Funny thing about the IDS. It may be a victim of its own success. There are many decks now that I can see doing an IDS with (including decks I've already studied and been using). And of course I want to do a number of them simultaneously (after this IDS of course ;)). But that kinda defeats the purpose unless I do it with two decks that I intend to use in conjunction with one another (like the Vargo Gothic and the Winged Spirit, which said they would enjoy working with one another).

Rodney

fluffy

Well, this last week my son and I have been unwell with stomach complaints and up half the night so I haven't really started properly with my IDS of the Liber T, I haven't even done a reading with it although I have looked through the cards and by god they are detailed. So much symbolism I can see why they can require a "lifetime" of study :) I have kind of joined a little study group in the "hermetic" subforum, but as I say I have been unable to participate for roughly a week due to illness. I hope that with the start of the week it is the start of a fresh study! I even have a clean A4 pad to scribble on.

Love FLuffy
xx

Disa

Well... my silver bohemian gothic arrived today- I can't seem to put it down. I probably need to look just through it just one more time to make sure all the cards all here :) The good news is, one deck came in and one went out- that's progress of some sort, isn't it?

MareSaturni

I think i'll have to get a break from my IDS, and also from tarot a bit. Too much...

Open Arms

rwcarter said:
........ And of course I want to do a number of them simultaneously (after this IDS of course ;)). But that kinda defeats the purpose unless I do it with two decks that I intend to use in conjunction with one another (like the Vargo Gothic and the Winged Spirit, which said they would enjoy working with one another).

Rodney

This is what I am doing with the Victorian Romantic Gold and the Bohemian Gothic. Funnily enough though.. I am not using the Silver version of the Bohemian..but the standard.... Don't ask me why..

Oh and the other thing.... both decks have told me NO REVERSALS... Maybe because I am reading the two together... don't ask me why.

Now I am getting the urge though to get a standard copy of the Romantic.... hmmm....

I have been pulling cards first from the VRG... then the BG.... and the number of times I get at least one of the same cards in both sets...more than coincidence... 3-4 times per 10 readings which I take as an extra nudge that this card is very important. Almost like one set is the how and the other is the why...

tarot4fun

fluffy said:
Well, this last week my son and I have been unwell with stomach complaints and up half the night ...
(((((Fluffy)))))
Hope you and little one are much better~
:heart:

rwcarter

Open Arms said:
This is what I am doing with the Victorian Romantic Gold and the Bohemian Gothic. Funnily enough though.. I am not using the Silver version of the Bohemian..but the standard.... Don't ask me why..

Oh and the other thing.... both decks have told me NO REVERSALS... Maybe because I am reading the two together... don't ask me why.

Now I am getting the urge though to get a standard copy of the Romantic.... hmmm....

I have been pulling cards first from the VRG... then the BG.... and the number of times I get at least one of the same cards in both sets...more than coincidence... 3-4 times per 10 readings which I take as an extra nudge that this card is very important. Almost like one set is the how and the other is the why...
Cool. Glad to know it works. I didn't get to work with the Vargo Gothic and Winged Spirit enough before I started the IDS to get a clear idea if using two decks like that would actually work for me whether or not the decks wanted to work together.

(My BGS told me to use the Shadow Card from the bottom of the deck with it. When shuffling to do my deck interview spread with it, one card fell towards the floor, but didn't make it all the way there until I went to grab it and then it fell. It was the 5 Swords. Nuff said. :D)

Rodney

sapienza

I haven't made that much progress with my IDS the last few days. I've been so busy and have wasted quite a bit of my spare time on-line but also catching up on other jobs I've been neglecting while being so focused on my Alchemical deck :) I'm going to try and do the reading circle reading for Peter tomorrow or the next day so that should help me get back on track. It's funny though, even though I haven't physically done much with my deck the last couple of days it's never really out of my mind. Even when I go to bed at night I'm flicking through the cards in my mind. I've actually come up with some great stuff just in my head and now have to find the time to actually write it down so I don't forget.

Myrrha

sapienza said:
Even when I go to bed at night I'm flicking through the cards in my mind.

I *love* doing that! It is my favorite form of meditation as I fall asleep, or during slow moments throughout the day. --Myrrha

PolarBear

Back online

Hello all,
Have been offline for a week and have just been catching up with all your posts.
Everyone seems to be doing really well, despite all sorts of setbacks. So keep it up folks.

For those people who have decided to leave the IDS – think of it as a temporary absence, perhaps; not giving up, just prioritising other things in your life right now. You know we’ll welcome you back if you decide to return.

I am right with the various people who are having trouble journaling and keeping up with the daily draws. I am thinking of doing things on a weekly basis rather than a daily – this is just more sustainable for me.

The big thing for me is that I have managed to remain faithful to the Llewellyn (despite the temptation of the Druid Plant Oracle which I ordered before I started the IDS and which arrived this week!) Like Myrrha, as soon as I’d made a commitment to the deck, I started wondering if I’d chosen the right one – but over time this feeling has faded. I’m beginning to realise that, to a certain extent, any deck can be the right one.
Peter - I know what you mean about the calmness that comes from using just one deck – somehow life is much simpler.

Thorhammer – I love your image of sleeping like a fossil. That is what I would call a serious nap!!

Cheers,
PolarBear