Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

afrosaxon

Essjay said:
In addition to this, and most puzzling to me, is that I have strong feelings as to when the cards should and shouldn't be read. I've never had this before and I don't know what it means. At times I've reached for them but have a feeling that it's not the right time and that I'm not in the right mindset. If I don't have plenty of time I don't read when before I'd do a "quicky" reading.

This is happening to me too!

mosaica said:
...I find that I still often look at the small cards and picture the RWS equivalent in order to get an immediate sense of meaning.

I do this too, especially since my deck is not a direct RWS clone...sometimes I have to s-t-rr-eeeeee-tch to see how the deck creators tied the RWS meaning into the cards. :laugh:

T.

Myrrha

Focus vs Restriction

I continued over the past week to feel strongly tempted to change the deck for this study. I had what I thought were good reasons to change it. I decided not to simply because I made a commitment.

What has changed is that I'm viewing it more as a commitment to *focus* on the Cosmic Tarot rather than as a commitment to completely restrict myself to that deck. I am not using any other decks for reading or daily draws but I have looked at my Golden Tarot and new Angels Tarot a bit and at some other decks on line, and I'm still trading (or trying to) and plan to buy a couple more decks over the next month.

Somehow just this attitude shift has helped and I am feeling much more cheerful about the study and more excited about the Cosmic. Maybe in the coming months I will try to go back to more strict interpretation of the terms but I figure that if I can maintain a focus on one deck for three months that is really the point.

--Myrrha

Myrrha

afrosaxon said:
I had to do more research on Santeria, as it is similar in some aspects to voudoun but is more earth-based and based on the Cuban and Nigerian cultures (santeria evolved from the Ifa religion, which is/was practiced by the Lukumi and Yoruba peoples in Nigeria. Over time, due to the slave trade, it became mixed in with certain aspects of Cuban culture (when slaves were brought there to work the sugar plantations), which is how it evolved into today's version (and nomer) of santeria (due to the association of Catholic saints with santeria orisha, or spirits/gods)

afrosaxon, when Santerias of today work with the Catholic saints are they thinking of them as covers for the orishas? I mean, if someone prays to Saint Barbara are they really thinking of her *as* Saint Barbara or are they really thinking of Shango? Or are they thinking that these two are really one in spite of the distinctive Christian identity of the Catholic saint and the distinctive Ifa story and identy of Shango? I guess I'm wondering how the syncretisation plays out in practice.

Maybe this is a question I'd have to ask someone who grew up with the religion. I would like to read a biography of someone who is in this religion, to hear about how they feel about these things and how it plays out in their life rather than just facts about it.

Anyway I am facinated by your posts so thank you for sharing.
--Myrrha

rwcarter

Not to worry Myrrha. I just decided a few minutes ago that I'm going to break one of my IDS pledges. But it's for a good reason. And that's all I can say for now. As my friend Marky says, "All will be revealed...."

I'm still on track with my deck. I'm all done the Majors and I hope to have gone through all the Minors and posted on them before 15 May. At this point I think that's still feasible, even if I am going to throw some focus on something else for a day....

Rodney

afrosaxon

Myrrha said:
afrosaxon, when Santerias of today work with the Catholic saints are they thinking of them as covers for the orishas? I mean, if someone prays to Saint Barbara are they really thinking of her *as* Saint Barbara or are they really thinking of Shango? Or are they thinking that these two are really one in spite of the distinctive Christian identity of the Catholic saint and the distinctive Ifa story and identy of Shango? I guess I'm wondering how the syncretisation plays out in practice.

Maybe this is a question I'd have to ask someone who grew up with the religion. I would like to read a biography of someone who is in this religion, to hear about how they feel about these things and how it plays out in their life rather than just facts about it.

Anyway I am facinated by your posts so thank you for sharing.
--Myrrha

***DISCLAIMER: I am not a practitioner of either voudoun or santeria, nor do I play one on TV. :cool: The following is just what I've picked up during my studies of both religions. Don't shoot the messenger!***

As far as I understand, syncretization is not an either/or thing; more like a...loose arrangement between the Catholic saints and the voudoun/santeria spirits. :D

Catholicism is strong in the countries from which voudoun and santeria originated especially Haiti and Cuba. Many practitioners of voudoun and santeria were baptized into the Catholic faith when they were young, and grew up in it: got Confirmed, went to Mass and Confession, took Communion...the whole nine yards. They just also happen to practice voudoun or santeria. When they pray to the Catholic saints, they pray to the saints AND to the corresponding spirit(s), depending on what they need.

Maybe it's a bit of covering all of your bases LOL, and figuring that the saints and the spirits work together on the Other Side. *shrug* Or, like being a contractor for a company; you don't work FOR the company, per se...but you work WITH the company. The voudoun and santeria spirits don't work FOR Catholicism and the saints, but they work WITH them.

For example: if someone needed assistance with getting a promotion, they'd first pray to Eleggua [Santeria] or Legba [voudoun], the spirits who guard the doors and crossroads between this life and the next. They'd also pray to St. Anthony, the Catholic corresponding saint. Then perhaps they would invoke Shango, the spirit of war, fire, thunder and lightning, who can create or destroy whatever he wants; he clears the roads with his machete (or double-headed axe). They'd also pray to St. Barbara, Shango's Catholic correspondent. They may invoke Yemaya, spirit of the ocean, moon, and motherhood, who gave birth to 14 of the most important orisha [**she would correspond to The Empress and Queen of Pentacles**]. Yemaya is associated with The Virgin of Regla in Catholicism. Then there are the pleas to the person's ancestors, to watch over them and grant favor.

There is probably a bit more to this, but this is what I have gleaned from my studies so far.

T.

Myrrha

rwcarter said:
I'm still on track with my deck. I'm all done the Majors and I hope to have gone through all the Minors and posted on them before 15 May. At this point I think that's still feasible, even if I am going to throw some focus on something else for a day....

Rodney

It sounds like you are on track and have done a lot with the deck, which is what counts. I’ve journaled ten or so cards and am finding that it really does make me feel more connected with the deck.

afrosaxon said:
***DISCLAIMER: I am not a practitioner of either voudoun or santeria, nor do I play one on TV. :cool: The following is just what I've picked up during my studies of both religions. Don't shoot the messenger!***

As far as I understand, syncretization is not an either/or thing; more like a...loose arrangement between the Catholic saints and the voudoun/santeria spirits. :D

Maybe it's a bit of covering all of your bases LOL, and figuring that the saints and the spirits work together on the Other Side. *shrug* Or, like being a contractor for a company; you don't work FOR the company, per se...but you work WITH the company. The voudoun and santeria spirits don't work FOR Catholicism and the saints, but they work WITH them.

Thank you afrosaxon that is a very helpful metaphor! I am not sure why I am so curious about this. Maybe because it seems to contain both European and African elements, Christianity and paganism.
--Myrrha

PeterS

Myrrha said:
Focus vs Restriction

I continued over the past week to feel strongly tempted to change the deck for this study. I had what I thought were good reasons to change it. I decided not to simply because I made a commitment.

What has changed is that I'm viewing it more as a commitment to *focus* on the Cosmic Tarot rather than as a commitment to completely restrict myself to that deck.

--Myrrha

I think that for myself, and possibliy someothers in the this happy adventure who knows, I think that there is a balance between the Focus and the Restriction.

I jumped in when we were still calling this experiment a renewal of the One Deck Wonder. So at that time there was a strong emphasis on the restictive aspect of the exercise and that from that action an intense study would develop naturally. Rather to study the a deck intensively and therefore it would be necessity be restrictive.

I have been a strong supporter of indivduals following their own guidance to this and it makes me happy to hear so many positive reports and the progress that everyone is making.

I still need to impose the restrictive element to maintain the focus of my study.

Just my humble opinion.

Peter

fluffy

I am still happy with the Liber T although I haven't really studied it yet. I have looked at the cards and done a few silly readings with it for myself, but not really concentrated on it yet. Others here who are progressing well are an inspiration to me and I hope to continue to spend more time with this deck. My son and I are still unwell so a lot of the focus has gone at the moment, but I am sure I will get it back as soon as we are feeling better.

Rodney - you intrigue me....

Myrrah and Afrosaxon, when I bought the Lukumi tarot I felt that I needed a bit more information on this religion (santeria) so bought a book entitled "Lukumi" - Santeria's beliefs, principles and direction in the 21st century by Christian Lopez. Not sure what people think of him, but it was very informative for me.

Love Fluffy
xx

Essjay

afrosaxon said:
This is happening to me too!

I'm glad it's not just me! Although I don't know why I'm finding it weird, after thinking about it I suppose it just shows that I am understanding the nature of tarot cards a little more. I'm very new to reading and this IDS has made me understand that there is a time to read and a time to leave it. When I do read it is more enlightening, but it does muck up my daily draws!

Fluffy - I hope you and your son feel better soon. Feeling poorly and looking after a little one can't be easy. (((())))

rwcarter - I'm intrigued too, lol!

afrosaxon

All Majors for daily draw

I re-started my mind/body/spirit daily draws yesterday.

Today, I actually drew three majors! And they were all upright! (I read reversals)

Mind: VI -- Marassa [The Lovers]
Body: XXI -- Carnival [The World]
Spirit: 0 -- World Egg [The Fool]

First time this has ever happened to me, as far as I can recall.

Happy Saturday!

T.