Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

sapienza

I certainly didn't view anyone's posts as negative at all. That's the whole idea of this being a support thread. If you are struggling to stick with your own IDS guidelines then by expressing those feelings here people can support each other. I know for me personally I have a lot of trouble maintaining focus so I made the choice to do this because I believed that restricting myself to one deck would be beneficial for me. And it has :) I can't believe how much it has helped me. I don't see it now as limiting because it's been so helpful. It's a unique experience for everyone but I feel like this thread has worked so well as a support system for people. And often we are responding to posts saying how well people are doing, or that they've just had a great breakthrough with their deck.

I think Scion summed it up when he said that it's made him focussed, calm, and productive. That's exactly the same for me. And he's right....you can't beat that with a stick :laugh:

PeterS

I think that there are a few that are struggling and there are couple of us that are thriving. I love the IDS though it is not what I thought it would be. I just finished the longest reading I have ever done for someone, 12 cards, as part of the IDS Reading Circle. It was a wonderful experience. I don’t know where I read it in the post but some genius said that you don’t learn tarot from books but from reading the cards for people. It sounded trite the first time I heard it but this time it clicked.

Though I have only now started to direct myself to study because it seems like after a month exclusively I am finally getting to know my deck. I know that it might sound as if I am anthropomorphizing my deck and maybe I am. But after a rough start, I had a great reading from Mosaica that helped me see where to start. I think that now I have a working relationship with the deck I can start to get it down in symbolism in the deck.

If someone needs to vent a little frustration or negativity about the IDS process then I say this is the place to do it. We are the ones who can encourage each other to endure and succeed. Let’s let the community make us stronger than the individual.

Peter

sapienza

Well said Peter. And I absolutely agree, some of the most significant 'ah-ha' moments I've had with my deck have been while doing readings.

mosaica

PeterS said:
I just finished the longest reading I have ever done for someone, 12 cards, as part of the IDS Reading Circle. It was a wonderful experience. I don’t know where I read it in the post but some genius said that you don’t learn tarot from books but from reading the cards for people. It sounded trite the first time I heard it but this time it clicked.

I have been dragging my feet with that spread. I've never used such a large spread to read for someone else either. You've reminded me that I just need to sit down and do it, and I'll most likely be glad I did afterward.

Mosaica

afrosaxon

Chugging along...

I used my IDS notes and sent updates for the NOVT Study Group Index. It's filling out nicely -- Petro suit has been posted, and hopefully the Santeria suit will appear within the next few days. Woohoo! :party:

I can't wait for other NOVTers (and those curious about the deck) to join Grip and myself there. We welcome anyone and everyone's cents/shekels/pence/Euros/drachmas. :D

I just worked with one of the most difficult cards in this deck for me: 5 Rada [5 of Swords].

Today, all of the cards in my mind/body/spirit draw were REVERSED. :bugeyed: First time that's happened to me. Wonder if it's because of the weird feeling I've had over the past few days (well, actually the past month or so, but it's intensified lately). Must be the full moon...

T.

arcana17

I must say that I have been unfaithful to the IDS for 24 hours.

The closest I have ever had from the Rider Waite is my trusted Universal Waite. Yesterday, I was at a local metaphysical shop and I had the urge to buy the USG yellow box RWS. Maybe it's the novelty effect, but I like it more than the Universal Waite, it looks more expressive to me. I played with it all day yesterday. I'll consider this experience as a break from the IDS. Now, I'm back to reading with the Thoth.

Silverlotus

I nearly broke the IDS... again. I am soooo tempted by the Bohemian Gothic. I nearly ordered it from Amazon today. In the end, I canceled the order.

I love my Steele Wizard, but I also really want a dark deck. Maybe I will think about getting it as a reward when this is done.

Astraea Aurora

If you think you can wait for it then I say get the BG as a reward.

If you think you can't wait for it then I say get the BG.

Either way it pays off :D :D

But wait, shouldn't I be supportive to you? Naah, not today. My }) is tempting me to say it out loud to you so he can come over and play with you also.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

afrosaxon

Maybe we should change the name of this group to ADS: Adulterous Deck Studies :laugh:

*looks longingly at Gaian Tarot and Osho Zen decks, and dreams of the Gilded Tarot*

T.

Silverlotus

afrosaxon said:
Maybe we should change the name of this group to ADS: Adulterous Deck Studies :laugh:

*looks longingly at Gaian Tarot and Osho Zen decks, and dreams of the Gilded Tarot*

T.

lol! How true. I did get the Gaian during the IDS. But to be fair, I ordered it before it started. :)

You know, the IDS has been good. I'm not buying decks willy-nilly. I'm really thinking about what I want to have. I'm (hopefully) not just having my head turned by another pretty face, as it were. I'm thinking about decks that I really want to study. Like, will they at least have the depth of the Steele Wizard, or the Thoth, for example. Or are they just an art deck?

I think the IDS is influencing the way I look at all Tarot decks.