Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

Disa

Yep, the Bohemian Gothic is really calling my name. I already have it, but I'm having a hard time resisting.

I'm determined to continue on with my IDS though, at least I WILL get through every spread in the Tarot of the Crone book.

sapienza

Maybe a visit to the De-enabling thread might help until the IDS finishes :)

Alamaris

afrosaxon said:
Maybe we should change the name of this group to ADS: Adulterous Deck Studies :laugh:
You made me lol so hard. :D

Um, yeah, I just came back to IDS land to say that. And to briefly mention that things have calmed down enormously -- even the blasted Canadian mental health system is almost working the way its supposed to! -- and I'll probably be joining back up with you guys real soon. Thanks for all those wonderful, supportive messages I found when I read the thread again!

sapienza

Glad things are looking up for you Alamaris :)

PolarBear

I too have found the IDS a very positive experience. That's not to say I haven't had struggles, though - and I've found posts by other people in the same situation very reassuring!

Like Myrrha, I have "broken" some of my IDS pledges - but I prefer to think of it as modifying my goals - daily draws and journaling have not worked out - so I am now working things on a weekly basis. I study my chosen cards for a week (4 at a time at the moment, as I am doing the minors) and this allows for the days when I'm not able to spend time with my cards. Whether this is a cop-out or pragmatism probably depends on your state of mind :)

I'm doing 4 cards at a time beacuse I find looking at all the suits together helfpul. The idea is to get a good overall feel for the deck as a whole and try and nail at least some basic starting interpretations for each card. Then I can start again and to stuff to a greater depth.

More than anything I'm finding that concentrating on one deck makes things so much easier. Also, like several others here, I have found that it has a rather unexpected (and nice) side effect of dampening my tendancy to fall for every new deck I see in the hope that it will be "the one"! Resistance is no longer useless :)

Love and hugs to all

PolarBear

Polar Bear

fluffy

Just wanted to say that I have been one of those posters who generally post when things aren't going so well..... I do that because I feel that I need the support from others on this thread to keep me going and you have :) I still love the Liber T, but have yet to study it fully due to illness which now seems finally to be getting better - thank goodness.

I am not being so hard on myself now about journalling, studying etc, but am just working with that one deck doing silly readings for myself. I have decided that my ids will probably last longer than the summer solstice date as I started late with this deck. I am hoping to get down to reading Scions pdf sometime next week as I will be better by then and my son (who is better now) is back to his usual betime routine so I will have some evenings free (when I am not working).

I agree with those who have said it has made them look differently at other decks. I have decided to sell a lot of my decks as I don't use them and they seem pointless just being kept in a cupboard.

Anyway that is my update and I hope everyone else is doing ok with their studies (I know that most of you are :)) and thank you all for your support.

Love Fluffy
xx

Myrrha

fluffy said:
I am not being so hard on myself now about journalling, studying etc, but am just working with that one deck doing silly readings for myself.

That sounds great! I am a firm believer in having fun with tarot decks. Sorting games are fun too, where you sort the deck by which cards show people wearing hats or whatever categories you can come up with. Glad to hear you are feeling better.

--Myrrha

Skimo

Hello,

Still progressing slowly while doing the IDS with my Halloween tarot.

I had another buying fever, but I think I am ok now...

The bohemian gothic is really tempting, but I have resisted until now.
I thought that I could shorten my IDS with the Halloween to three months and then go on with the BG, but...

...the only thing is : I can't find my Halloween tarot anywhere this morning...

and while typing, I've just tried again to find it and I did!

Tricky deck, lol

sapienza

My IDS is still progressing well. I'm so happy with my Alchemical deck. I got the Renewed version the other day and after working with it for a few days I'm now more comfortable with some of the changes in colouring. I'm really loving the larger images of this version.

I've been offering some one card readings in the Personal Readings and Exchanges thread. I'd highly recommend this as a great way to work with your deck. By limiting readings to one card you are forced to really focus on all that the card could possibly say. I've set out some questions that lend themselves to this kind of reading and I'm really finding it a great help. It's quite amazing what information you can get from one card. Here is the link in case anyone is interested.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=97594

I hope everyone else is travelling well too :)

Promise

After taking some time to myself to reflect on a LOT of things, including what I really want out of Tarot and what I really want out of myself, I've decided to try this again, with a different deck and some different guidelines for myself.

I'd like to jump back in using the Tarot of Prague, 1st Edition, in conjunction with the Little Czech Oracle. I've had all of my others decks put away for the past week or so, and this time, it just feels right. I'm not fearful and second-guessing myself and my chosen deck. The whole "failure" with the BG was a learning experience for me, that's for sure.

I'm not going to stress myself out over journaling or daily draws this time, either. My goal with the IDS this time is to get myself into a SUSTAINABLE routine with the Tarot of Prague and the Little Czech Oracle, a daily, sustainable routine that fits comfortably with my life and my lifestyle. Journaling is nice, but it's not something I have the time or inclination to do every day, so you know what? If I get to it, fine--if not, fine.

I hope no one minds me jumping back in like this. I've thought about it, and I really do want to give this another try. Now that my head is clearer and I've really shifted my focus and my mentality, I feel like I'm in a better place now, and that I can really devote myself to getting to know these decks better.

OH, and I'll be allowing myself to play with my runes, because...well, I enjoy them, and I don't see any reason I shouldn't.