20 Yrs of Tarot: The LoS Story

rwcarter

Got this book in the mail yesterday and since I'm sick anyway, I read the whole thing while laying in bed. Very interesting book, although it does have some flaws.

There are a number of proofreading/translation errors that will hopefully be fixed in future editions of the book. My other major complaint about the book is what I'd call "a feature, not a bug" in the computer world - the book seems disjointed. I'm sure that was intentional so that people could jump around and read any given chapter without having to read any other chapters where the information had already been covered. But having read the book from cover to cover, I was somewhat annoyed to have the same information thrown at me again and again.

Of course the book introduced me to a deck I hadn't known about that I must now have - Tarot of Tharbon.

I found Pietro's section on the "first" RWS edition interesting. (And I thought I was anal retentive :laugh:) My only complaint about that section was that it would've been nice to have more of the figures on the same page as the text that talked about them. Reading about a detail and then having to flip back 2 or 3 pages to see it, then reading about another detail on the same page as the first and having to flip back again broke the flow for me.

It was quite interesting seeing the development process laid out in the book. It never even occurred to me that a tarot deck would have a script! I wish they had said more about the whole borders/multi-lingual titles issue than "The cards are scaled to an appropriate size, borders are added, and keywords and titles are superimposed as needed." And considering how useless most people find the LWB's I found it interesting that the book encourages people to read them.

I also think some of the alternative takes that didn't make the final cut on certain decks/decks put on hold/decks in early stages of development would make interesting decks anyway:
  • Ghiuselev's take on the Etruscan
  • TdM purists would hate it, but I would buy Andrea Serio's modernization of the TdM in a heartbeat!
  • Baggi's take on the Egyptian Tarot
  • Gaudenzi's Fantasy Tarot
  • Castelli's take on the Pagan Tarot
  • Evangelisti's Tarot of Shadows

It also would've been nice to have an Index in the back of the book that lists decks, artists, etc and where in the book they're discussed. It also would've been nice to have a list of illustrations for the same purpose.

It was nice putting faces to names. It was also nice to read the intent behind certain decks that I've bought and just don't "get." The book also made me realize just how many LoS decks I actually have in my collection. All in all, I've very glad I bought the book.

Rodney

Asher

I agree...

with everything Rodney has to say about the book. I have had it for a couple of days now and have generally enjoyed it. I love seeing the b/w sketches, the finished art, and the alternative ideas offered by other artists.

I would also have liked the book to include a list of all the decks LoS has done, both in- and out- of print. A comprehensive catalog.

All in all, the book is quite good and gives a fascinating history of the LoS company and their design/production process.

Asher

rwcarter

Asher said:
I would also have liked the book to include a list of all the decks LoS has done, both in- and out- of print. A comprehensive catalog.
Asher
A comprehensive list of everything LoS has published! DOH! Why didn't I think of that? Yeah, that would've been nice.

Rodney

Bonnie

The People Behind Lo Scarabeo

I found this to be a stunningly presented book, and loved following the "peopling" of Lo Scarabeo, and how their visions, and their life paths, created the company that has gifted a great deal to the Tarot world.

Blessings,
Bonnie

WolfyJames

rwcarter said:
I also think some of the alternative takes that didn't make the final cut on certain decks/decks put on hold/decks in early stages of development would make interesting decks anyway:
  • TdM purists would hate it, but I would buy Andrea Serio's modernization of the TdM in a heartbeat!

Wait wait wait... Are you saying a Tarot de Marseille done by Andrea Serio was in the work? And they pulled it off?

I want that deck! Hear me Riccardo? I want that deck! Please!!! I want that deck!!!

I want that deck... I want that deck... I want that deck...

Strange2

Sounds interesting. Do you have an ISBN for this book?

Bonnie

Isbn #

Strange2 said:
Sounds interesting. Do you have an ISBN for this book?

The ISBN # for this lovely book is: 978-0-7387-1230-7

Blessings,
Bonnie

rwcarter

WolfyJames said:
Wait wait wait... Are you saying a Tarot de Marseille done by Andrea Serio was in the work? And they pulled it off?

I want that deck! Hear me Riccardo? I want that deck! Please!!! I want that deck!!!

I want that deck... I want that deck... I want that deck...
Yup. They have pics of Strength, Temperance, Hierophant, Magician and Hermit in the book. Same art style as Liber T and absolutely gorgeous IMNSHO! From the book:

LoS book said:
The studies Serio created are exquisite, with luminous colors, rounded figures, and sweeping, energetic line work. Unfortunately, very conservative "Marseilles purists" tend to resist modernization of the deck's original images and while Serio's art is as brilliant as it is innovative, we have found that it is very difficult for popular markets to appreciate. As a result, a project that continues to intrigue and delight us remains in our vault, its potential untapped, at least for now.

The only ray of hope in that whole paragraph is "at least for now." Riccardo, please? PLEASE? PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Rodney

Strange2

Bonnie said:
The ISBN # for this lovely book is: 978-0-7387-1230-7

Thanks, Bonnie! I have ordered this through Books-a-Million.

WolfyJames

rwcarter said:
Yup. They have pics of Strength, Temperance, Hierophant, Magician and Hermit in the book. Same art style as Liber T and absolutely gorgeous IMNSHO! From the book:

The only ray of hope in that whole paragraph is "at least for now." Riccardo, please? PLEASE? PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, something tells me I'm going to write to Riccardo and beg him to publish this deck... seriously. I do not understand how they can publish a crap deck like the Tarot of the Elves and not this one. If there is a deck that deserves publication it's this one. It's unfortunate I cannot see the rare images from the deck, I won't buy the book just for that.