2007 Tarot Lover's Calendar Cover Contest

Major Tom

mythos said:
For me this isn't about me, or whether Tom makes a profit, or how it is judged, but about supporting those who, like me, both love tarot and pour their heats into creating their tarot artwork.

My US$0.99 cents worth!

Ya know, like most folks I make it up as I go along. I've been supporting the work of Aeclectic artists and writers for years now.

I find it deeply offensive that anyone who's been here more than two seconds could think this is about my profit.

I'm sorry if a sudden change put any of you off balance, but if you review the thread I said Jane and I would establish the criteria by which the contest is judged and that our decisions are final.

Ya either get it or you don't.

Thanks very much Shirley for getting it. :)

Still, the votes keep pouring in. Keep 'em coming and we'll show the world the most talented people in the world of tarot are members of Aeclectic.

Sidhe-Ra said:
Doesn't that mean someone could just keep voting for themselves, and buy their way in?

That's why I reserve the right to make the final decision. ;)

Ya know, all this fooforah is precisely the same argument some misguided folk make about charging for a tarot reading. :cool:

Umbrae said:
It encourages votes from folk that can support art. It helps those of us who can support art support art.

If any contestant wants to pull out - get in touch. I'll make that happen for you.

baba-prague

Major Tom said:
I find it deeply offensive that anyone who's been here more than two seconds could think this is about my profit.

Tom, I don't think the problem is this (well, not as far as I'm concerned). I think the thing that may have been better handled differently is that some people who entered may be very uncomfortable with this kind of public elimination thing based on paid votes. As someone (Temperlyne?) said, it's one thing to show who won, it's another to see who came "last", or "second last" or whatever. And while it may or may not be a valid worry, I do think that this method has the unfortunate (and I'm sure completely unintended) side-effect of making people worry that the financial ability of an artist (and their supporters) to vote may play a part in the final result.

Maybe another time it would be best to double-check that the artists ARE all okay with this first? It's the kind of thing that some people can feel is just too - well - public and competitive. I for one am not a natural "competitor" and I sympathised with Temperlyne as I would have felt exactly the same if we'd entered.

Please don't take this as a criticism, but I think people here do have to express their opinion. I'm sure it can be sorted out though :)

Major Tom

baba-prague said:
I'm sure it can be sorted out though :)

Thanks for your considered and well thought out opinion Baba-Prague. I too am sure it can be sorted. :)

The 78th Fool

Hi Tom,

I'd very much like to second what Karen has just said. I really love this calendar and I feel it's an invaluable publication ( I benefited a great deal from being included in the 2006) but like Karen, I hope I can express an honest opinion and that you'll be confident of my good will.

I submitted my entry because I appreciate the calendar as a publication and it was just a fun thing to do. Making the contest eliminative and payment orientated just seems to sour it somehow. The original idea meant that you personally were choosing what you felt would be the most suitable artwork from a range of equal entries. As it is now, there's a new emphasis on which piece has the most merit but also on which pieces have the least merit. I'm just uneasy with that whole way of working.

I fully understand that you always reserved the right to have the last say on the judging parameters and I'll continue to respect that. However, I fully agree with Karen with regards to the Artists knowing about their work being submitted into a 'public' judging process. Maybe a private poll where people can vote but only the winner is announced would be less divisive but at the same time it would still allow you to get a good feel for which image would hold the best appeal for those buying the calendar.

With regards to funding and aiding the production costs of the calendar, why not just have a single paypal button for a donation of say £10 so that people who appreciate the calendar and benefit from its publication can have the opportunity of helping to keep it alive. I for one would be really happy to do this.

All the very best,
Chris. xx

Mimers

The 78th Fool said:
Hi Tom,

With regards to funding and aiding the production costs of the calendar, why not just have a single paypal button for a donation of say £10 so that people who appreciate the calendar and benefit from its publication can have the opportunity of helping to keep it alive. I for one would be really happy to do this.

All the very best,
Chris. xx

The donation button with a suggested amount sounds like a great idea Chris!

Major Tom, I just want to say in case I came across as derogatory earlier that I truly appreciate all the work you do to help support this forum. You have done wonderful things here. I never once doubted that your intentions were good.

Mimi

temperlyne

Major Tom, I do not question your motives, thats not what this is about for me.

baba-prague said:
I think the thing that may have been better handled differently is that some people who entered may be very uncomfortable with this kind of public elimination thing based on paid votes. As someone (Temperlyne?) said, it's one thing to show who won, it's another to see who came "last", or "second last" or whatever.

It's the kind of thing that some people can feel is just too - well - public and competitive. I for one am not a natural "competitor" and I sympathised with Temperlyne as I would have felt exactly the same if we'd entered.

Thanks baba for understanding!
I'm not sure if I would have entered had I known it was going to be a public eliminating contest as I am not the competitive kind. By eliminating an entry each week the emphasis is a bit on which is the least popular and that is not what this should be about IMHO. I made this drawing from my heart as I am sure so did the others. I will not retreat from the competition as I believe it is a bit late for that. (unless off-course nobody has voted for my entry yet, and I do not think I would want to know if that was the case !)
Chris made a very good suggestion that has my support, about making the voting private and only showing who's won, or who are the last two instead of eliminating one each week.

DraagonStorm

I have to put my two(0.99) cents worth here. I have no problem with Major Tom's idea. In fact, if it helps his printing cost, more power to him. My ego will not be crushed if my submission is first voted off. (in fact, after looking at the other entries, it wouldn't suprise me!) Competition is good for the soul! This 'PC' nobody loses, just doesn't work for me. It's not like that in real life. So, go for it Tom!

Bright Blessings
DraagonStorm

DraagonStorm

I have another suggestion for all you 'PC' people... Maybe Major Tom should print six different versions. Then like in the 'Special Olympics', EVERYONE IS A WINNER.......................

Just had to say that!

BB
DraagonStorm

Major Tom

Thanks Chris, Mimi, temperlyne and DragonStorm for your messages of support and your ideas.

Here's where I'm coming from with this:

Aeclectic artists are the most talented working with tarot in the world today. Every entry for the calendar cover contest is a brilliant work of art. Every entry is a winner. I had thought that an elimination on purely commerical grounds would be a good way to sort through the choice and provide excitement for all involved.

However, having listened to your ideas and having a good night's sleep, I realise I hadn't counted on the anxiety this level of excitement could cause in the contestants. I'm not wedded to the idea of elimination and so will change the contest so all the entries remain on-line and in with a chance of selection until the deadline. (Give me a day or two to sort out the website, I've got the Ipswich group today)

I've also listened to those who 'want something' for their money. I will be adding buttons to give the voter a chance to 'pre-order' the 2007 calendar and vote at the same time. The cost for a 'pre-order' will be US$25 and every 'pre-order' will count as 50 votes for the entry.

The whole point is to select the cover that's going to sell the most calendars.

I do hope this addresses the most pressing concerns. Thanks again for your help everyone. I'm certainly open to other ideas as and when they arise. :)

DraagonStorm

I just hope you know my 'suggestion' was in irony!

I do get tired of the 'everyone is a winner' attitude this 'PC' world is coming to.

I agree, the more 'votes' means, the more 'commercial' value.

BB
DraagonStorm