2007 Tarot Lover's Calendar Cover Contest

Sidhe-Ra

The tension builds...what fun! There are some fab entries! I can't wait to see who wins- I hope its one of the ones that's been posted so we can all smile and go, 'Ah, I thought so...' :)

Major Tom

An announcement

Jane and I have decided we cannot yet decide as we don't have enough information. We need to know which cover is going to appeal to people who will actually buy the Tarot Lover's Calendar 2007.

So, the contest moves onto a different level. We'll run this like the recent Strictly Come Dancing show on the BBC. Every week the entry receiving the fewest votes will be removed from the contest web page. Votes cost US$0.99 each so voters are putting money where their mouths are. For the final week Jane and I will choose between the two remaining entries based on our own criteria. The judges' decisions remain final.

I will answer questions regarding the mechanics of the contest here but will post a new thread on Advertising to spread the word.

Sidhe-Ra

Gosh....I can't vote, because my credit card is maxed out, and Paypal won't work anymore! :(

How can you prevent one of the entrants buying themselves in?

Gosh...How exciting!

Sidhe-Ra

(BTW, I wasn't going to vote for mine! That WOULD have been cheeky!)

le pendu

Major Tom said:
Jane and I have decided we cannot yet decide as we don't have enough information. We need to know which cover is going to appeal to people who will actually buy the Tarot Lover's Calendar 2007.

So, the contest moves onto a different level. We'll run this like the recent Strictly Come Dancing show on the BBC. Every week the entry receiving the fewest votes will be removed from the contest web page. Votes cost US$0.99 each so voters are putting money where their mouths are. For the final week Jane and I will choose between the two remaining entries based on our own criteria. The judges' decisions remain final.

I will answer questions regarding the mechanics of the contest here but will post a new thread on Advertising to spread the word.

Hi Major Tom,

I just gotta say I'm personally less than enthusiastic about this. You're going to charge us to vote, and then you get to make the final decision, is that correct? Basically, I'm paying to help you make a business decision from which you profit?

What will be done with the money raised from the voting process? Or do I get my US$.99 back when I purchase a calendar?

I would have preferred a regular AT poll where everyone can vote once. No paypal, no money exchanged. Maybe I'm just being weird, but something about this strikes me as very unappealing.

best,
robert

Major Tom

le pendu said:
What will be done with the money raised from the voting process?

something about this strikes me as very unappealing.

Robert - How do you reckon the calendars get printed? Where is the money supposed to come from? The money raised in the contest will go directly to producing the calendars. A percentage of any profit made will go to Aeclectic. It's not like we're talking huge sums or indeed any great profit here. :rolleyes:

If you find that very unappealing then don't vote, don't buy a calendar when it's printed and don't support group effort on Aeclectic. That's the best way I know to make sure it never happens again.

If however, you do like the idea of a showcase for artists and writers that is the Tarot Lover's Calendar, then do have a vote and vote often and be sure to buy a copy (or 10) when it's printed.

This stage of the contest is meant to be a fun idea to help raise the money it takes to produce the calendar. It would be wonderful if folks could get in the spirit of working together in small ways to produce something big together.

Mimers

le pendu said:
I would have preferred a regular AT poll where everyone can vote once. No paypal, no money exchanged. Maybe I'm just being weird, but something about this strikes me as very unappealing.

Your not weird, Robert, I felt the same way when I read it. This pretty much popped my bubble of excitement.

Mimers

Major Tom said:
If you find that very unappealing then don't vote, don't buy a calendar when it's printed and don't support group effort on Aeclectic. That's the best way I know to make sure it never happens again.

I don't think Robert is against supporting Aeclectic. I know I am not. I have the Lovers calendars and paid a lot for them compared to any other calendar because I know it is going to a good cause. I have donated memberships and even send decks to people for free.

I guess I was taken aback because you said you were going to pick a winner and you didn't. You changed your mind and said everyone else was going to but they had to put their money where their mouth is. I am not getting anything for the .99 cents. When I buy the calendar, I get something. If you need funds to make the calendar, I would think you could charge us for it when you give us the calendar, not to vote for a cover.

Major Tom

Mimers said:
I am not getting anything for the .99 cents. When I buy the calendar, I get something. If you need funds to make the calendar, I would think you could charge us for it when you give us the calendar, not to vote for a cover.

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. Couldn't that something you get for your .99 cents be the warm glow that comes from knowing you're helping something happen? This contest idea is just a bit of fun to support the contestants' entries while raising money for the calendars. If we raise enough money in the contest then, of course we can drop the cover price for the calendars.

If you don't like it don't participate, it really is that simple. But please don't ruin it for the rest. There are already a good number of people who do like it and are participating and are feeling the excitement from wondering who is going to win. :)

Major Tom

Sidhe-Ra said:
(BTW, I wasn't going to vote for mine! That WOULD have been cheeky!)

I don't think there's a politician in the world that doesn't vote for themselves come election time. I don't think there's anything wrong with voting for your own entry. ;)