21 Ways to Choose a Tarot Deck

Annabelle

Trust in the artist and trust in the publisher has a big influence on what I purchase.

For example, at this point I will line up in advance to buy anything Robert Place produces - I love his past decks, I love his art - therefore I trust I'll love any future decks of his.

Same thing with Magic Realist Press - I love all of their decks so far, and so I'll pre-order anything new they come up with, such as the Victorian Romantic tarot.

blackstormhawk

How do I choose a new deck?

It looked cool.

connegrl

Well, I've picked decks from on line scans. That didn't work so well. I've picked decks based on scans and on line reviews. That didn't work much better. I've picked decks that Umbrae has told me would be good or has flashed in front of my awestruck eyes. That works. I'm sticking with that one for the moment. Problem is that he flashes expensive decks around or decks that are OOP. I'm still moaning about the deck that he flashed around that I *want* but dont' want to spend the money on. I'll be buying it. I know I will. I just have to unload a few things on ebay.

Jen

Grizabella

I could give you 21 ways NOT to choose a tarot deck. :p I've done them all and then some.

Nydia

Low price has been a factor for me in some cases. Sales were posted here, so I bought decks I had turned down in the past. I've also found some deals in other places, too.

Alta

How do I pick new decks. :rolleyes: Not very scientifically I am sorry to report, which is why my collection houses some duds and why I have traded some away.

I too have been seduced by the 'everybody's talking' deck-of-the-month though I did fail to be convinced of the Fenestra, and I stand by that decision (so far). I got the Druidcraft that way (yay!) and the Victoria Regina (yuck!)

I have also been intrigued when someone does a reading with an unfamiliar deck, but not to my recollection have I ever purchased a deck because of this. I am well aware that what works for one will not for another, say me.

I can be seduced by wit in a deck (Oh! Wicked Wanda!!) or artistic vision (Transformational) but admit to getting pickier as space for new decks is now at a premium and I just have no more practical storage room. Soon it will have to be ''one in? then one out!!''

Umbrae

Psssssst....hey you...over here...in the doorway where its dark...wanna buy a deck? It was never used, only looked at once...how much? Well how much you got?

greycats

Ways I choose a deck:

1. Authors/artists I'm favorably familiar with
2. From scans of portions of the deck
3. Reviews
4. The grapevine
5. Author/artist's websites
6. A recommendation or a favorable mention of a deck in some other context.
7. Price.

I've been most satisfied with the decks I've chosen by #s 1,5,& 6.

I've seldom been unhappy with a deck if I've seen all the cards before purchase.

Baroli

I first look at the artistry of the drawing and the colors, if they mesh together in a beuatiful eyecatching way. Also if I wish to learn something about a particular deck, Lenormand for example is totally foreign to me, yet I find the cards beautiful and telling, although I still have a hard time using them. More practice, I think. And to be honest, they have to catch my eye, jump out at me so to speak. I agree with Marion, I was almost seduced by Fenestra but I am reserving judgement for the time being.

Baroli

WooMonkey

Usually there is something about the art that catches my eye. AT is a great way to get decks waved in front of your eyes! :D
Certain themes can also tempt me--I'll buy almost anything with an elemental aspect to it.