78 Weeks: Knight of Deniers/Coins

jmd

78 Weeks: Card back

To find out what these threads refer to, please seeThe link above provides suggested dates and links to all threads for this study.

Some amongst us may be working through the deck in a different order, and using different decks.

For more general comments or questions about the 78 weeks, please post in the thread linked above.

Enjoy!

CreativeFire

Knight of Pentacles

still plodding along catching up on posting my notes - lol - sort of fits a bit with the Knight of Pentacles ;)

Knight of Pentacles

Now to be honest when I did one the Court Card study exercises a while ago, the Knight of Pentacles was my nemisis card, but I still do admire the perserverance and persistence this card can represent. :)

He is cautious and unswerving in his focus towards his goals even though he may not want to waver off the tried and true path to solve problems or issues - he will probably still get their in the end after crossing all the T's and dotting all the I's. To me he represents a hardworking and thorough personality that may not be the life of the party but can be depended on to see through even the most arduous task. However he may drive the more adventurous and fast moving types a little crazy in the process, he is often realistic and methodical and because of this may pick up on the details that others in more of a hurry may not even notice.

On a personal side, when I am so sick and tired or continuing with my studies I think of the Knight of Pentacles and try and tackle one little bit at a time to make slow but steady progress towards completion of a particularly dreary assignment ;)

CF

gregory

Knight of Pentacles - Revelations Tarot

First impressions
Stasis. Very set in stone.
From the artist’s website
Upright
[intepretation]

He is determined to work to reach his goals. His focus drives him only to work hard and to ride his ambitions to fruition.

Reversed

He finds it hard to carry on his journey. All the hard work and trudging has driven his energies low and he looses confidence in himself. He holds on to his goals but his energies are low.

Images and Symbolism
The large knight sits on his equally robust horse. The two of them are an image of strength and stability. The firm determination in his eyes reflects his unwavering focus on his goals.
In the background lies a city for his taking and a large pillar of support.

The reversed knight is having a moment to collect himself. He grieves from his tired efforts. His horse turns away and moves on even if he still has no direction or control over it.
The background only shows faded shapes reflecting the lack of focus. The pattern on the pillar behind him breaks apart slowly.

Colour: gold and red - colour of the coat of arms and movement.

Traditional meanings
Upright:

He is honourable, conventional, loved practical virtues and an established code of behaviour. He is patient in opposition.
Reversed:
He is smug and dull-witted. He clings to outmoded ways.
My impressions:
Upright
A knight sits on his horse, looking rigidly out of the card. He might almost be a statue. Behind a castle and next to him a stone turret. His left hand rests on a huge pentacle.
Reversed
The figure weeps, with his head in his hand and his face hidden. His horse has turned away. The background is confused and blurred, and the turret seems to be disintegrating
My take
Upright, the image is of stability – but so extreme it almost seems to be almost one of petrification. “Set in his ways” comes close but not close enough. He may he hugely successful, but at the cost of a personality – the kind of person who is so much defined by his job that there is nothing else; the kind who has nothing of himself left when he has to retire ! Reversed – he is wretched, but at least he has feelings. He weeps for some loss, but he is trying to collect himself; he knows where he has gone wrong. As with other pentacles – I find myself at variance with the artist….!

All the cards from this deck can be viewed here.

gregory

Thoth

Card name: Knight of Disks

First impressions

A horsed knight in black armour, with his visor tilted back, turns his face to the sun. His helmet has the head of a stag as its crest. In his hand is a flail. His long red cloak reaches way down to the ground. In front of him very fruitful grasses. Behind are hills with fields and hedges. It is all very autumnal.

From the Book of Thoth
The Knights represent the powers of the letter Yod in the Name. They are the most sublime, original, active part of the Energy of the Element; for this reason they are represented on horseback and clad in complete armour. Their action is swift and violent, but transient. In the Element of Fire, for instance, the Knight corresponds to the Lightning flash; in the Element of Water, to Rain and Springs; in that of Air, to Wind; in that of Earth, to Mountains. It is very important as a mental exercise to work out for oneself these correspondences between the Symbol and the Natural Forces which they represent; and it is essential to practical Magical work to have assimilated this knowledge.

KNIGHT OF DISKS

The Knight of Disks represents the fiery part of Earth, and refers in particular to the phenomena of mountains, earthquakes, and gravitation; but it also represents the activity of Earth regarded as the producer of Life. He rules from the 21st degree of Leo to the 20th degree of Virgo, and is thus concerned greatly with agriculture. This warrior is short and sturdy in type. He is clothed in great solidity of plate armour; but his helmet, which is crested with the head of a stag, is thrown back, for at the moment his function is entirely con- fined to the production of food. For this reason he is armed with a flail. The disk which he bears, moreover, is very solid; it represents nutrition. These characteristics are borne out by his horse; a shire horse, solidly planted on all four feet, as was not the case with the other Knights. He rides through the fertile land; even the distant hills are cultivated fields.

Those whom he symbolizes tend to be dull, heavy and preoccupied with material things. They are laborious and patient, but would have little intellectual grasp even of matters which concern them most closely. Their success in these is due to instinct, to imitation of Nature. They lack initiative; their fire is the smouldering fire of the process of growth.

If ill-dignified, these people are hopelessly stupid, slavish, quite incapable of foresight even in their own affairs, or of taking an intelligent interest in anything outside them. They are churlish, surly, and jealous (in a dull sort of way) of what they instinctively realize is the superior state of others; but they have not the courage or intelligence to better themselves. Yet they are always irritably meddling about petty matters; they interfere with, and inevitably spoil, whatever comes their way.

In the Yi King, the fiery part of Earth is represented by the 62nd hexagram, Hsiao Kwo. This is as important as its complement, Kung Fu (see under Prince of Cups); it is a “big Khan”, the trigram of Luna with each line doubled. But it is also suggestive of the Geomantic figure Conjunctio, Mercury in Virgo, corresponding very closely indeed with the Fire of Earth attribution in the Qabalistic system.

To the Chinese sages, moreover, the shape of the figure gave the idea of a bird. The meaning is, accordingly, modified by human influence of the more frivolous and irresponsible kind, Shakespeare’s “little wanton harlotry”, the French cynic’s “Souvent femme vane”, and the fickle mob of Coriolanus; indeed, of History itself.

But Mercury in Virgo symbolizes Intelligence (and even creative Idea) applied to Agriculture; and this (once more!) harmonizes perfectly with the Ten of Disks, which is ruled by this Planet and this Sign. This adds to the superabundant mass of proof that this whole system of symbolism is based upon Realities of Nature, as understood by the materialist School of Science-if such a school survives in some obscure and obsolescent University! Such coherence, such introverted exfoliation, cannot be the chance parallelism of the dreams of nebulous philosophies.

The character described by this card is therefore exceeding complex yet admirably well-knit; but its dangers are indicated by the symbols of Luna and the bird. In the happiest cases, the qualities thus indicated will be romance and imagination; but overweening ambition, the pursuit of Ignis Fatuus, superstition, and the tendency to waste time in idle dreaming, are perils all too frequently found in such sons of the soil. Thomas Hardy has painted many admirable portraits of the type. Ill-starred indeed and black with bile are those who have profaned the Sacred Fire, not enkindling Earth to new, more copious, more varied life, but peering in deceptive moonlight, turning their faces from their mother Earth.

Images and Symbolism

Frieda Harris says in her essays:

Knight of Disks =the fiery part of Earth. Mountains, earthquakes, also gravitation, and the activity of Earth as a producer of Life. He is clothed as a warrior, and his helmet is crested with a stag. He is armed with a flail, carries an exceptionally solid Disk, and is mounted on a shire horse.
Also:
Knight of Disks.
The knight is being drawn into the soil He represents the generative property of earth.

DuQuette points out that the flail suggests farming rather than battle, for this knight, and that the shield could double as a dish. I can’t see why his shield in particular; I feel that DuQuette really has it in for this card ! though he does point out that Crowley says the card is entirely about food production. Even so…
Snuffin points out that the russet cloak over black armour signifies Fire and Earth in Malkuth – added to by the red saddle and black shield. He also things that if we could see the face of the shield, it would bear the pentacle of the Zelator Adeptus Minor – a hexagram over the saltire of Malkuth in Briah. I have no idea why he would assume this… the side of the shield that is visible incorporates fire and earth symbols.
Snuffin mentions that the stag’s head on his helmet is winged – I completely missed that – and that the stag is traditionally associated with prudence. He also says that the flail is linked with Virgo – which associates that symbol with harvest and fertility.
Banzhaf draws attention to the heaviness of the card, as does DuQuette – but he seems at least to see it as the heaviness of the soil, not of lumpen-ness. He mentions the first thing that struck me – the concentric circles of light almost radiating form the shield, and refers to them as a “mild luminous aspect of the spirit that comes down from the Creator to bless the Great Mother.” He also suggests that the massive armour the knight wears limits him, and makes him short-sighted and he ties this in with over-farming and plundering the world. A very “modern” take, unlike anything he’s brought up before !

Meaning (cribbed from Wasserman) Represents the fiery part of earth. A farmer, patient, laborious and clever in material things, perhaps somewhat dull and preoccupied with material affairs. III-dignified: Avaricious, surly, petty, jealous, grasping man.

DuQuette
Unless very well dignified, he is heavy, dull and material. Laborious, clever and patient in material matters. If ill-dignified, he is avaricious, grasping, dull, jealous, not very courageous, unless assisted by other symbols.
Traditional meanings – From Thirteen’s book of meanings:
Knight of Pentacles
As Travel:
Travel on foot, hiking, walking, cycling.
As Change and Movement:
The Knight of Pentacles is the most opposite to the Air element of the Knights. This means that he is the least Knight-like. Not inclined to move or fight. On the positive, movement and changes will feel steady, as this Knight is very consistent. But Knights are supposed to be fast, and this Knight is plodding. It will seem like things are moving/changing at a crawl, and that those who should defend their positions and put up a fight are taking too long to do so.
As a Teen or "Teen-like" Person:
The Knight of Pentacles has all kinds of projects going, jobs on the side, and extra-curricular activities. He takes his work (or studies) very seriously, and is always looking ahead to the future. He likely has, in fact, long term plans, including what he wants to be, what he wants to do, down to getting married and having children. While this seems very positive, it can cause him problems when it comes to handling the unexpected or improvising. If he didn't plan for it, he doesn't know what to do about it.
Similarly, this Knight is uncomfortable standing out. While he wants to have the best that money can buy, he also wants to fit in. Thus, if every one of his peers must have a certain cell phone, he must have it as well. If he can afford the best of these, he will buy the best. If he can't afford it, he will work at part-time jobs till he can afford it. While this gives him an amazing work ethic, it also makes him too reliant on material things to give him status, and may make him embarrassed if he doesn't have enough.
This teen or teen-like person needs to have his own room or secret place, and woe to anyone who goes into that room or changes it in any way. The Knight of Pentacles has his own organization system for everything, and a routine for keeping healthy. Not surprisingly, this teen can be far too solitary, too concerned with perfection, or earning a place of respect. Fear of failure or standing out may keep him from leaving his room. He needs to "lighten up."

(I include Thirteen’s meanings here, but the way, as while someone else was adding them to her Thoth posts, I found them enlightening in context, even though the descriptions are way different !)

My impressions (appearance of the card):
He looks exhausted, to me. His horse looks relieved to be resting a bit as well. It’s interesting how the rings from the shield carry on into the sunny sky. He seems to me to have worked his butt off and to be taking a well earned rest. But also – the light from the shield suggests to me that he is a very good and GIVING farmer, with power – green fingers in the extreme. The horse looks very wise, too – I think adding power to it all.
The way his cloak almost seems to go under the horses rear hooves seems to tie him to the ground. Restrictions of some kind, maybe. But all those fields look so well cared for.

My take (what I make of it/what I might see in a reading where I drew it)
A very hard and dependable person/worker, who will go that extra mile, even though it exhausts them. The weight of the world on your shoulders too, perhaps. Also – I feel he wants to be loved….

jackdaw*

Knight of Pentacles (Rider Waite Tarot)

First Impressions
This is such a humdrum card, I always thought. Maybe it was my association of this card with my ex, a textbook Capricorn and a textbook Knight of Pentacles. I always thought of this knight as a solid, dependable and hard-working type. Reliable, but not exciting. Stolid, dull, slow moving. Further work with Tarot and this card did nothing to dispel this notion. Let’s see if the 78 Weeks Study can do anything for it.

Knights are normally associated with action. Swift and decisive and ever changing. But I don’t really get that impression with this one. Too much of the slow-moving Earth element about him, not enough Air. He seems slow and plodding. Even his horse is no nimble steed, but a heavy and stolid-looking black horse. In the Robin Wood Tarot, it’s even a Clydesdale, a draft horse like the ones that haul the beer wagons in commercials. Yes, I know I go on about that deck a lot; I just think it has such marvelous court cards! The horse stands perfectly still and has oak leaves tucked into its red bridle. But here in the Rider Waite Tarot the knight that sits astride him in profile looks no less heavy and unmoving than his mount; wearing full body armour partially covered by a simple robe or tunic of dark red, and a helmet with the visor up and a plume that seems also to be made of oak leaves. He wears leather gauntlets and holds a large golden pentacle up to just about eye level. But not the better to stare at it. Instead he seems to stare just over the top of it. Is he staring around him, at the wide rolling plowed fields of newly turned red-brown earth? Or the distant green mountains behind him? Or the improbably yellow sky? Or is he unfocused and staring at nothing, lost in thought? We don’t know. His somewhat serious expression as he peers between raised visor and chin guard of his helmet gives us nothing. No ball of fire, this knight, and not an exciting kind of a date. But one who’d never let you down.

So what impression does this give me? Slow, solid and enduring. In a timing kind of question I would say that the answer or event would not be forthcoming for quite a while. As far as people go, solid and dependable men of the land. Quiet and unassuming men of the land who are hard working and not afraid to get their hands dirty. When I think of this card a Murray McLaughlin song comes to mind, with its images of the man of the land, the dependable and unfancy work ethic, the weariness of an unexciting and sometimes unrewarding way of life:
Excerpt from “Farmer’s Song” said:
The combines gang up, make most of the bread,
Things just ain’t like they used to be.
And your kids are out after the American dream
And they’re workin’ in big factories.
If I walk by when you’re out in the sun,
Can I wave at you just like a friend?
These days, when everyone’s takin’ so much,
There’s somebody givin’ back in.

Straw hat and old dirty hankie
Moppin’ a face like a shoe.
Thanks for the meal, here’s a song that is real
From a kid from the city to you.

Creator’s Notes
In The Pictorial Key to the Tarot Waite says:
Waite said:
He rides a slow, enduring, heavy horse, to which his own aspect corresponds. He exhibits his symbol, but does not look therein.
I get what Waite is saying here. It kind of reflects what I think of the match between horse and rider - that they both display the same plodding, heavy, methodical attitude. About the symbol, the pentacle, I’m not so sure. Is he exhibiting it?

Others’ Interpretations
As far as divination goes, Waite says that this card means:
Waite said:
Divinatory Meanings: Utility, serviceableness, interest, responsibility, rectitude-all on the normal and external plane. Reversed: inertia, idleness, repose of that kind, stagnation; also placidity, discouragement, carelessness.
Nothing really remarkable.

Thirteen says of this card:
Thirteen said:
As Travel: Travel on foot, hiking, walking, cycling.

As Change and Movement: The Knight of Pentacles is the most opposite to the Air element of the Knights. This means that he is the least Knight-like. Not inclined to move or fight. On the positive, movement and changes will feel steady, as this Knight is very consistent. But Knights are supposed to be fast, and this Knight is plodding. It will seem like things are moving/changing at a crawl, and that those who should defend their positions and put up a fight are taking too long to do so.

As a Teen or "Teen-like" Person: The Knight of Pentacles has all kinds of projects going, jobs on the side, and extra-curricular activities. He takes his work (or studies) very seriously, and is always looking ahead to the future. He likely has, in fact, long term plans, including what he wants to be, what he wants to do, down to getting married and having children. While this seems very positive, it can cause him problems when it comes to handling the unexpected or improvising. If he didn't plan for it, he doesn't know what to do about it.

Similarly, this Knight is uncomfortable standing out. While he wants to have the best that money can buy, he also wants to fit in. Thus, if every one of his peers must have a certain cell phone, he must have it as well. If he can afford the best of these, he will buy the best. If he can't afford it, he will work at part-time jobs till he can afford it. While this gives him an amazing work ethic, it also makes him too reliant on material things to give him status, and may make him embarrassed if he doesn't have enough.

This teen or teen-like person needs to have his own room or secret place, and woe to anyone who goes into that room or changes it in any way. The Knight pf Pentacles has his own organization system for everything, and a routine for keeping healthy. Not surprisingly, this teen can be far too solitary, too concerned with perfection, or earning a place of respect. Fear of failure or standing out may keep him from leaving his room. He needs to "lighten up."

He values and protects beautiful things and is a loyal employee if treated right.

Symbols and Attributes
I always have trouble associating court cards with specific astrological signs. I know so little about astrology, and find that keeping cardinal, mutable and … what’s the other one? Fixed? … signs and their associations straight. So between suits in the Tarot I tend to mix and match as to the cues I get from the cards and what I think fits. But more generally I just clump them together as being affiliated with any Earth sign, or Fire, or what have you, depending on the element of the suit in question. But as far as the suit of Pentacles goes, I can follow the visual clues for the Queen (Capricorn) and King (Taurus), and by process of elimination we arrive at Virgo for the Knight. At least I do :laugh: Virgo is a sign that is very associated with analytical skills, perfectionist tendencies, work and service, patience. It’s ruled by Mercury, which has to do with logic and rational thought. All elements of this card’s personality.

This card is generally considered the Air of Earth. Knights are affiliated with the element of Air, being swift-moving and active, masculine and changeable. Combine this with the feminine and slow-moving, passive and solid Earth of the Pentacles, and we have a bit of a contradiction. The two elements are antagonistic, as anyone who is more into elemental dignities than I am could tell you. Basically his inclinations to speed and decisive action are at odds with his slow and ponderous inner nature.

Knights typically represent movement, vitality, forcefulness, motivation, courage and action. This is mitigated somewhat by the slow-moving Earth element. He does not embody the Knightly aspects nearly as well as the other Knights. Perhaps this was behind Pamela Colman Smith’s decision to have this Knight shown in profile. Only one aspect of his forces is visible. We see the Earth of his suit, but not so much the Air of his position.

His helmet is crowned by a plume that I think resembles a bunch of oak leaves. Oak is a very hard wood, slow to grow to maturity but strong and majestic when it gets there. The same could be said for this Knight. He wears full armour, helmet and all, to show his self-protective aspect. This is a cautious man, one given to defensiveness and protection. He also shields his hands with leather gauntlets. They show he is willing to work hard, but is still careful of his hands. A man of the land, they are his livelihood, and he doesn’t treat them carelessly. One interesting little detail I didn’t really notice about his attire until I found it on a high-resolution scan of the card (I use a pocket sized version of the deck). On the side of the armour that is visible to us, he wears a spur on the heel. I would think it would be needed to spur that slow and heavy Earthbound horse into Airy speed and action. The coat he wears over his armour is a reddish brown. Again, it illustrates the conflict between his two key elements. Red is a good colour for Knights, representing life force, willpower and action. Willpower he has in spades, I think, he’s a very determined type. But action, not so much. It’s tempered by the brownish shading of his Earth element.

One hand, almost unnoticed in the card, tightly grips the horse’s reins. He has rigid control. With the other hand he holds his pentacle high. You’d think he’s holding it up to examine some minute detail of it. But is he? Rachel Pollack doesn’t seem to think so; in Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom she says:
Pollack said:
Though he also holds a pentacle he does not look at it, but instead stares over it. The symbolism suggests that he has lost sight of the source and meaning of his strength in life. In dedicating himself to purely practical matters, he has cut himself off from the deeper things in Earth.

Now some versions of this card show that the Knight of Pentacles is most definitely staring at his prize: the World Spirit Tarot, for one. Others, like the Tarot of Prague, deliberately show him staring over it. And some, like the Morgan Greer Tarot or the Anna K Tarot, show the pentacle actually down low or even laid aside, completely beyond the Knight’s notice. But in the Rider Waite Tarot I think it’s much more ambiguous. Perhaps deliberately so. That leaves it open to a couple of different interpretations, depending on the reader’s own inclination and the situation at hand. Notice how the rest of his court family are most definitely staring at their own pentacles (well, not sure of the King, he could be looking down under downcast eyelids, or he could be dozing off).

But back to the Knight, to this Knight, and the couple of different interpretations.

First, if it is an abstract thing, representing everyday magic as a talismanic emblem, then I agree with Pollack. The Knight overlooks the magic in his everyday life and focuses on the mundane. He’s lost sight of the “why” and is more interested now in the “how”.

But if it is an actual physical thing, this pentacle, like the Coins/Deniers of old, then it emphasizes his interest in the material and the practical without going into the abstract magical and symbolic hoopla.

Being a Pentacle type myself, I see the one here as a literal Pentacle, a trinket, a possession, a material thing. So when I see this card, I tend to think that the Knight of Pentacles was actually looking intently at his prize. Studying it, checking for flaws, perhaps assessing its worth, who knows? But then he got distracted. His gaze wandered slightly above it, taking in the fields and musing on whether he should sow oats or potatoes, perhaps. Or whether the rain will hold off until he can get that last bit of the field done.

The horse he rides on is black. It’s the darkest of the Knights’ mounts. It emphasizes the slow and heavy aspect of this horse compared to that of other Knights. Kris Hadar says on his website that the colour black represents “the metamorphosis of human consciousness into divine consciousness.” It basically indicates deeper, hidden and subconscious things. This Knight is not a talker, much is hidden or unstated. It ties together with the instinctual aspects of the horse as an animal, and the symbolism of horse and rider together - the union of the conscious with the unconscious. There’s a lot at work under the surface here.

Like his mount, the horse wears oak leaves at his head to represent the slow movement and dependability and Earth ties. A saddle blanket shows that this Knight is prepared for any eventuality, that he prepares for unforeseen circumstances. It may be that they will be gone for considerably longer than anticipated. It speaks of the Knight’s practical outlook. And finally, the bridle that the horse wears is red. There’s a lot of red here for a Pentacle card. But red represents willpower, and this Knight clearly controls the horse through strength of will.

In the Page of Pentacles, we saw only a small patch of plowed land, a tiny field. By the time the Page has matured into the Knight, he has expanded his fields to extend from one side of the card’s frame to the other. It shows how the capacity for hard work and the labour and control have all increased. The fields themselves, as before, represent potential and preparedness, and the attention and care required to bring about material success and harvest. And of course, it represents the manual labour for which the Knight of Pentacles has such capacity, and ties him to the element of Earth. Grounds him. And again, as in the Page, the yellow sky behind him represents the intellect. The Knight has the capacity for hard work, but also the smarts to back it up. To work smart, not just work hard.

My Interpretations
Whenever a Court card comes up in a reading, there are a few different ways to interpret it.

In the abstract, Knights deal with travel, movement and action. So I might view it as traveling for work, camping or roughing it, or physical work. If any of these are the case, it’s pretty sure that it won’t be swift travel, exciting or for pleasure, and you likely won’t be traveling very far.

If this card came up as a person, I would see it as any of the following: an Earth sign (likely Virgo) person, a young man, a practical person who is cautious and patient and slow to act, hard working and reliable if not exciting. The type who is prepared for any eventuality, and who is a ponderous but deep thinker. Quite common fields of work will be physical work with the land, or anything that entails skilled work with the hands.

If it came up as advice in a reading, I would think that it counsels against hasty action and in favour of taking your time to consider all sides of a situation before proceeding. Alternately it may warn that you are being too slow and ponderous, and to shake things up a bit. Let the Knight side take over a little bit! It may also mean that you are too focused of late on the physical, on the material. Look up for a bit and take in the rest of life.

It's perhaps important to remember the conflict in place here between the two elements. The swift action of the Knight's Air versus the immovable stability of the Pentacles' Earth. Expect conflict and confusion, perhaps inner turmoil.