6 of pentacles as advice

Gazel

Demon Goddess said:
That makes better sense. As in it is one-sided, and might appear to be so from an objective observer's standpoint.

hmm - yeah. About one-sided - maybe it's only (now I'm referring to the RWS iconography) that the two receiving, beggar-like persons are not having the same amount of whatever the man with the scale is handing out. And that can from a outsider's point of view (objective or not) seem unjust or unfair. But then again, he may not have the full knowledge or wisdom.

Gazel.

Demon Goddess

Gazel said:
hmm - yeah. About one-sided - maybe it's only (now I'm referring to the RWS iconography) that the two receiving, beggar-like persons are not having the same amount of whatever the man with the scale is handing out. And that can from a outsider's point of view (objective or not) seem unjust or unfair. But then again, he may not have the full knowledge or wisdom.

Gazel.

I don't use the RWS, can't stand it, but the idea that the beggar is there, is in true need, it's not an imaginary beggar, so he's grateful and truly receiving of what is being offered. The other, depending on the deck is always in a better position, so what he is offering is easy to give over.

I'm not sure how RWS represents the "sharing" concept but in Bright ideas it's a picture of a salvation army woman with her christmas kettle... the giving is always from the heart and because the receiver needs it; ie entirely altruistic.

Mojo Twin 2

I'm posting a reply without having scanned this thread - I want to come from my original intuition - for what it is worth.

The relationship in question is strained because of the perception from one partner that there is an inequality in the give/take of the relationship. The advice card would be just one part of the whole spread, I'd assume, but given just this one card, from a RWS perspective, I'd say that the advice is that giving is not a bad thing, and that perhaps it is the perception of the asker that s/he is owed something that is the problem.

Unconditional giving is just that - unconditional - no expectation of return. The beneficiary of giving is the person that's giving. The beneficiary of trust is the person that's giving the trust, not the person receiving it. Relationships are NOT 50/50 - sorry - that's just the cold hard fact of the situation. The joy of giving is in giving. If there's a feeling of resentment then the aspect that needs examining is the person that is feeling the resentment, not the person that's being resented.

Sacrifice, ownership, giving, and sharing - that's a relationship - also compromise, devotion, etc.

alec...

Gazel

Demon Goddess said:
I don't use the RWS, can't stand it, but the idea that the beggar is there, is in true need, it's not an imaginary beggar, so he's grateful and truly receiving of what is being offered. The other, depending on the deck is always in a better position, so what he is offering is easy to give over.

I'm not sure how RWS represents the "sharing" concept but in Bright ideas it's a picture of a salvation army woman with her christmas kettle... the giving is always from the heart and because the receiver needs it; ie entirely altruistic.

Yes.

I think much depends about the actual picture in the card, one is referring to/familiar with using.
I use btw the Universal Waite, not the RWS - but it is the same symbols/iconography - and here it sems that there is more to the relationship (as depicted in the card) than simply the altruism, giving, sharing.

This particular card - as far as I'm concerned - adds some layers to these concepts, as to be knowing about what needs to be giving in a certain situation, the hierarchy and structure of a relationship or a situation and so on.

Gazel.

ETA: It would be fair to add that my teoretical understanding of this card derives from 78 degrees of wisdom by Rachel Pollack (danish edition 1988).