A new de-enabling thread

Sulis

Moderator note

A few off topic posts have been removed.

Please stick to de-enabling.

Thanks,

Sulis - co-moderator - Tarot Decks

Sidhe-Ra

nisaba said:
I dunno - it makes Australians view toffee-nosed overseas magical names like Sidhe-Oak as very, very funny indeed. Humour is good. Also, Niamh is a *great way to spell Knave. If I design another deck, I might turn all the PAges into Niamhs, like in the really early historical decks.

Anyone feeling de-enabled yet?

What did I do to you?????

Chiska

First time seeker of de-enabling needing firm restraint regarding the purchase of one Tarocchi della Corte di Merlino.

Help me. Please. I am currently feeling sorry for myself and that usually manifests in the purchase of tarot decks I don't need. Look what happened last time - I bought the Pythagorean Tarot. Now I am a hopeless slave to it. I thought that the Deviant Moon would help, but it just made me realize that I had a lot to feel sorry about. Perhaps I should save my money and just buy chocolate?

nisaba

I have a better idea.

Just look what happened last time - you bought the Pythagorean Tarot. Now you are a hopeless slave to it, despite the fact that the Ionian peninsula is being kept worried by the constant rattling of the bones in his grave.

No one ever thought that the Deviant Moon would help except you, which is really sad. Perhaps you should save your money and just buy chocolate?

gregory

Chiska said:
First time seeker of de-enabling needing firm restraint regarding the purchase of one Tarocchi della Corte di Merlino.

Help me. Please. I am currently feeling sorry for myself and that usually manifests in the purchase of tarot decks I don't need. Look what happened last time - I bought the Pythagorean Tarot. Now I am a hopeless slave to it. I thought that the Deviant Moon would help, but it just made me realize that I had a lot to feel sorry about. Perhaps I should save my money and just buy chocolate?
Chocolate is better.

The Corte di Merlino is frankly a bit silly. It's illustrations for a fairy tale book, IMHO. And as a title La Morrigan does NOT work for me; legends need to be in their own language. The Morrigan is scary stuff, lost in translation. La Druidessa (now I am getting cross at ALL these quasi Arthurian titles) looks like an owl is tearing her hair out. Morgana la Fata looks soppy, and as for the world - what IS that thing sticking up the middle.... A HAT ????

I think Arthurian decks need to be in English, never mind the strange imagery. I would like to see Italian artists do ITALIAN mythology.... I don't think they GET Arthur.

Any help ?

nisaba

What I would like to see is not so much Italian artists working Italian mythology (though the gods know there is plenty, what with the Tuscany witches, Stregha and the like). What I would like to see is an artist - *any* artist working the Arthurian myths from teh original book that all the other books and legends are based on: the french text "Le Mort d'Arthur" (The Death of Arthur).

Has anyone other than me read it? It was about killing, disembowelling, breaking other people's legs and making them walk on it, pulling eyes out, shattering skulls ... <shudder>. And the more of this stuff you did, the more "noble" you were.

Yep.

(WARNING: major bloody de-enabling on all all extant Arthurian decks about to happen now)

Let's go back to the source of all Arthurian legends, and do it properly. Anything else is just lame.

Chiska

gregory said:
Chocolate is better.

Any help ?

Yup - gonna go to the after Easter sales tomorrow and get me a chocolate bunny!

magpie9

I, unfortunately, purchased the "Corte de Merlino" years ago when it first came out. Aside from eery thing everyone else has said about it, there's the crappy cardstock with pointy little corners the better to stab you with, the the muddy watercolor medium that is not well done, there's the skritchy little under drawings, there's the cards proportions to themselves, they're just too narrow for their height, and the whole thing looks much much better in the scans than it ever did in person, I think they go stand-ins for the photo shoot. And to make up for all that, I'd like to know what Arthurian Tradition they got those characters from, especially the Poodle-cut Unicorns.

Here:http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/merlino/
If you MUST have it, go find the models who stood in for the Shoot. Or use this as wallpaper for a month, you'll get over it.
And think of all the chocolate that $$ will buy...yum!

Chiska

magpie9 said:
I, unfortunately, purchased the "Corte de Merlino" years ago when it first came out. Aside from eery thing everyone else has said about it, there's the crappy cardstock with pointy little corners the better to stab you with, the the muddy watercolor medium that is not well done, there's the skritchy little under drawings, there's the cards proportions to themselves, they're just too narrow for their height, and the whole thing looks much much better in the scans than it ever did in person, I think they go stand-ins for the photo shoot. And to make up for all that, I'd like to know what Arthurian Tradition they got those characters from, especially the Poodle-cut Unicorns.

Here:http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/merlino/
If you MUST have it, go find the models who stood in for the Shoot. Or use this as wallpaper for a month, you'll get over it.
And think of all the chocolate that $$ will buy...yum!

And the nail has been put into that coffin. I don't know if it was the physical description of the cards or the point that I would have all that money available for chocolate bunnies....

Aerin

nisaba said:
What I would like to see is not so much Italian artists working Italian mythology (though the gods know there is plenty, what with the Tuscany witches, Stregha and the like). What I would like to see is an artist - *any* artist working the Arthurian myths from teh original book that all the other books and legends are based on: the french text "Le Mort d'Arthur" (The Death of Arthur).

Let's go back to the source of all Arthurian legends, and do it properly. Anything else is just lame.

Well..... Sir Thomas Malory (a Norman from England) is meant to have written the book based on both French and English legends/ stories/ what you will. It was written in (Middle) English, not in French. http://bestoflegends.org/kingarthur/malory.html
and John Matthews has this recently printed version http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morte-DArthur-Sir-Thomas-Malory/dp/1844030016 which I have and have read, well, quite a lot of it anyway. (Saw it in The Works at knowckdown price too so clearly not many people bought it. Probably wise - it is v, v big and chunky.)

The sources aren't all available any longer......

So that means we can't buy ANY Arthurian decks not EVER - even the Matthews one ;). Because the original sources have been lost. So they are just WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aerin

ps thanks for the de-enable, that deck just keeps going in and out of my basket at Somerville...