A smile for a tip

danieljuk

The mistake I made was trying to learn every interpretation and idea about the cards from the authors I was reading. A bit like lil red looking up the meanings. I wanted a complete picture of each card. But authors and writers and even other people on here all have different ideas. We have to find our own ideas and take on the cards, that is the ultimate goal in learning I think. They may change and you may add / remove from them but you don't get that by looking up meanings constantly (which is fine in the beginning) or memorising huge amounts of other people's ideas.

Looking at the symbols and images in the card and doing it intuitively is one way of doing it and also keywords, thinking of 3 keywords per card that are for you (maybe based on books you read or posts you see here). Make sure to look at the card image, it's the most important thing of all (rather than looking in books). Say what you see! You get better at it! But don't worry too much about not knowing everything about the card, I still look at my notes and keywords sometimes when I get stuck :)

Nisaba is totally right about the practical using of the cards. If you get to 25 posts on here you can take part in the monthly reading circles with a partner. It's great practising with someone else! use them with other people, practice! it's the best way or learning at all :thumbsup:

Passarelli

Thank you all for reply my request.

moon_light,
I agree. Knowing the meanings would help A LOT my intuition. I like the flash cards idea. I have a tarot journal, and i'll definetly make flash cards.

RiotFemme,
I try to take some time looking at the cards before running for a book meaning. This help me a lot, and when I go for the formal meaning, usualy the book meaning "connect" better with the picture i saw than when I just go for the meaning.

Chobit,
I really like what you said: "I think the more you read the more you'll develop these personal feelings toward cards, and since they're tools that allow you to understand more about yourself and others, these stories will change and grow depending on your circumstances. I've found it helps a lot to allow yourself to see the cards in a different light instead of clinging too tightly to pre-established definitions."

Lil Red,
It happened to me too about ten years ago and I'm only returning the tarot back to my life now.

nisaba,
Yes, i think this is the answer: take my time and enjoy the trip.

danieljuk,
One of the best thing about a forum is to learn with the others. I'll look foward this practice, thanks.

ps. Sorry about the way I talk (this forum will help my english too).

Eremita90

Something I wish I'd known before (of course, based on my current understanding :D) is that it is useless to think of the cards as mere collections of mutually unrelated keywords. As soon as I learned to recognize that keywords are just the outer expression of what I may call "the inner essence of the card" my learning process became much quicker, and I was able to almost forget about keywords, because I would be quite capable of creating them at the moment of the reading without them being random or completely reliant on my gut feelings. At that point I sort of realized that a list of keywords may show the nature of the card as well as hide it. Sooo, don't miss the wood for the trees, I would say :D

Passarelli

"don't miss the wood for the trees"
Yes! I will not, or at last i'll try to. There is so much going on on each card... It is like the mistake Peter Jackson did when he tried to include The Lord of the Rings in only three movies.

celticnoodle

Hi Passarelli,

I wish i would have learned earlier about storybook-style reading, or simply reading what i see being enacted in the pictures regardless if they matched traditional meanings or not. My readings were really static for a long time because i was so afraid of veering from my two or three memorized versions of each card. That and reading for myself out loud; makes a huge difference vs. just 'thinking' the meaning. I know, i know you're talking to yourself, and it feels a little weird at first, but you can bypass your brain in a good way. i don't remember if greer went into that in that particular book or not.

this. Dark Victory summed it up beautifully in the first sentence. Also, reading for yourself out loud and good friends/family members, who will not be afraid to give honest feedback will help. Practice, practice, practice! You won't necessarily be accurate immediately--it takes time to develop the skill and confidence.

There is debate about memorized meanings vs. intuition, but I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. Learning the meanings helped me develop that intuition. What I did was make one flash card each day. The point of the cards was to have a list of meanings, but mostly it was to make the card. When I was making each one, I researched the card in question online, in the LWB and in the two books I had. Then I took all that information and wrote down the meanings that made the most sense to me. I did use the flashcards to review what meant what (and had them by me for reference for a while), but the most learning I got was from handwriting each card. Doing so over the span of 78 days made it less intimidating.

and this. Always rely on your intuition first, but it doesn't hurt to also learn some accepted meanings for each card too. I have and still do look at other peoples meanings for the cards and see if they 'fit' for me too. Keep a notebook or something to jot ideas down for each card too. This can be a great resource for you through your journey of reading tarot. Making flash cards are a good idea, though I didn't do this myself. however, I do agree that writing down some meanings from others ideas for each card helps.

And, as Daniel mentioned (I think it was he?) - joining in on reading exchanges here and the games too that use tarot or oracle cards. That is a great way (and fun too!) to learn.

Enjoy the journey. This is the most important tip. Keep it fun and enjoyable. :heart:

Passarelli

"Enjoy the journey. This is the most important tip. Keep it fun and enjoyable."
This.

And the games... I'm afraid to spoil them... but this may be just a silly fear.

Thank you.

Dark Victory '39

oooh thought of something else Passarelli. The thing about four years ago that made me think there really was something to the magical and strange predictive aspect to tarot, was when i laid out, (with barely any thought process behind it) one card for each day of the month. It was like March 7th and I did cards for the 8th thur early april; i literally said, march 8th, laid a card, march 9th, laid a card, and on. Then i basically sat back and watched my log. It was unbelievable in its accuracy; in a way more so than doing daily draws, which would freak me out, and i would do all sorts of bizarre preperation. This was like mechanical and mind-blowing.

Passarelli

Dark Victory '39,
I don't know if i am ready to do some long term reading... At first I'm trying to know myself. But i do belive the tarot have this power.

Michael Sternbach

There is debate about memorized meanings vs. intuition, but I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. Learning the meanings helped me develop that intuition. What I did was make one flash card each day. The point of the cards was to have a list of meanings, but mostly it was to make the card. When I was making each one, I researched the card in question online, in the LWB and in the two books I had. Then I took all that information and wrote down the meanings that made the most sense to me. I did use the flashcards to review what meant what (and had them by me for reference for a while), but the most learning I got was from handwriting each card. Doing so over the span of 78 days made it less intimidating.

That is essentially my method, too. Except that I am using a notebook (made of paper, that is) rather than flashcards. I sometimes specifically draw a card for meditating on it and looking up what various authors have to say about it. Then I write down what makes sense to me most and reflects my own intuition and experience. The writing process often makes new ideas come forth. I still gather new insights this way after having studied Tarot for 27 years.

Also, I recommend drawing a card for each day. Sometimes, I do a single card draw about my current state of mind, or something like that. Following your intuition when reading the cards is essential, as I think of the cards as a way of connecting with my intuition in the first place. But I, for one, emphasize that you do a lot of book reading first and see how the suggested meanings plus what your intuition might be telling you connect with your experiences.

And do plenty of readings with a few spreads you like for yourself, family, friends. While I am a strong believer in experimenting with new stuff, I find myself using the handful of spreads that I learned about in my early Tarot days for the most part. It's better to get well acquainted with a limited number of spreads and understand what you can use them for than learning a new spread for every topic you encounter.

Passarelli

Michael Sternbach,
Thank you. The thing i'm currently using to learn is: a three cards spread from Mary K. Greer (first - my body / second - my mind / third - my soul), and then i'm trying to understand their meaning just looking at them, after that, I search their meanings in different sources and I try to relate that with my feelings, and then I write in the form of story in my journal.

I'm still a little embarrassed to read to others...