Analytic Tarot and working as an atheist

JackofWands

Hi everyone,

Moving this thread over from an original post I made in the new members' forum (here). I've been reading Tarot for six years, and have developed a reading style based mainly on introspection and using Tarot symbolism to analyze a querent's situation.

My reading style draws heavily on a personal lack of religious belief. I don't believe in anything supernatural, and that extends to the Tarot. I find Tarot a useful tool in that it consists of a set of specific symbols that I can interpret and apply to a situation, but I've never felt that the cards themselves actually presented a message of their own. The onus is on me as the reader to use what I know about the querent's situation as a way to interpret cards which (in my opinion) have no inherent meaning or message to offer.

As an extension of this, I'm reticent to try to use the Tarot to predict the future, or to talk about people other than my querent. It's not within the scope of what I believe Tarot (or, if you prefer, Tarot in my hands) can do.

I know that not everyone reads Tarot the way I do, and I want to emphasize that I don't think other ways of reading are in any way wrong or bad. It's just that this is a reading style that I'm comfortable with, based on my personal beliefs; it's what works for me. However, I wanted to share my perspective with the larger community and see what other people have to say. Do you have different perspectives? Do you think something is somehow missing from my reading style? Do you also have certain boundaries regarding the kinds of questions you will and won't accept, based on your fundamental understanding of what the cards are and do? I'd really like to get a dialogue going.

Zephyros

I interpret the cards mainly using astrology and Kabbalah, but even those I don't see as remotely supernatural. They are both intellectual structures for the ordering and cataloging of ideas. Even predictive readings work merely by probability, as in the events of today will most likely lead to the events of tomorrow. I don't think the supernatural is necessary for Tarot. Even when I read or use examples such as "God," those are merely words for ideas, in this case unlimited potentiality, zero, Nothing.

3ill.yazi

I don't feel the cards inherently have power, which probably makes them easier to reconcile with my particular faith (Jewish).

I see them more as tools to sharpen or focus one's intuition. Hence I don't really follow some of the customs surrounding the care of the cards. They are just paper.

And it doesn't particularly feel like telling the future, as it does feel like clarifying the forces at play.

Alta

I don't feel the cards inherently have power, which probably makes them easier to reconcile with my particular faith (Jewish).

I see them more as tools to sharpen or focus one's intuition. Hence I don't really follow some of the customs surrounding the care of the cards. They are just paper.

And it doesn't particularly feel like telling the future, as it does feel like clarifying the forces at play.
Other than my not being Jewish, rather 'almost atheist', this reflects how I approach reading as well.

I do use, very strongly, an intellectual background structure for reading and then with that as boundary, use it to focus my intuition, much as 3ill.yazi.

nisaba

My reading style draws heavily on a personal lack of religious belief.
In an odd way, mine does, too. I have very deeply-held beliefs, but they influence my use of Tarot about as much as they influence the way I drive my car or how I do laundry.

My washing machine cleans clothes, whether I believe in anything or not.

My cars drive, whether I believe in anything or not.

Tarot produces meaningful information whether I believe in anything or not.

So yes, although I have very strongly-held beliefs, my Tarot practice is essentially atheist in nature - I have a tool, and I use it. It performs the way you'd expect a tool designed to do the job would perform.

The onus is on me as the reader to use what I know about the querent's situation as a way to interpret cards which (in my opinion) have no inherent meaning or message to offer.
So how do you account for being able to produce detailed and meaningful readings for a total stranger who has just sat down in front of you, and about whom you know nothing and of whom you ask for no information?

As an extension of this, I'm reticent to try to use the Tarot to predict the future,
So am I, but not for the same reasons. I'm reticent to use Tarot to predict the future, because I have essentially no belief that there is any such thing as the future. There's the past, and there's this slippery thing called the present, which slides mysteriously past us all the time, but I have yet to be convinced there is a future. You may say that the week after next is the future - but if I'm writing this now, and I'm also re-reading it a year away, than "the week after next" has long sunk in the past. The future ... it's just not real.

And I have a problem with predicting things. "You will meet a tall, dark, handsome stranger on Tuesday." Yeah? What if you stay in all day and don't open the door or answer the phone? "You will have a car accident in January." Yeah? If you sell your car in December and don't buy a new one until February, riding your bicycle or catching trains everywhere instead?

I'm not interested in proving what a great reader I am with my ooky-spooky predictive powers. I'm not even interested in being regarded as "accurate". The biggest tribute my clients can pay me (and yes, some do) is that my readings are useful in their lives. I use Tarot to identify problem-areas (that they haven't told me about) and potential solutions or at least ways of avoiding or lessening the problems. I use Tarot to identify their opportunities (that they haven't told me about), and to find practical ways to maximise it in their lives.

When I succeed, I'm not The World's Most Accurate Reader. I'm merely useful. And that is the greatest thing I can be.

JackofWands

Lots of things to respond to here, so I think I'll just go through one by one.

closrapexa said:
I interpret the cards mainly using astrology and Kabbalah, but even those I don't see as remotely supernatural. They are both intellectual structures for the ordering and cataloging of ideas.

I very much agree with you on this point. When I first started reading Tarot, I learned independently of these two systems--I did a little bit with the elemental dignities and some basic numerology, but for the most part it was just a matter of learning the RWS meanings of the 78 cards. When I did start reading with astrology and the Kabbalah, I actually came at it a bit backwards; I don't really use those systems in my readings, but I use my understanding of Tarot to inform my subsequent understanding of them. Both of these systems were always a bit difficult for me to get at, in part because they seemed kind of arbitrary. (For example, I still don't love the way the paths of the Tree of Life are assigned to Tarot in Crowley's 777.) But working with Tarot, I'm able to come at the issue(s) from another angle. Knowing what I do about the elemental dignities in Tarot, for example, makes it easier for me to understand the four worlds of Kabbalah. And so on, and so forth.

But anyways, I'm wandering a bit. The point is that I, like you, see both astrology and Kabbalah as intellectual systems that can be applied to help with a personal understanding of events, thoughts, or what have you.

3ill.yazi said:

With you all the way on this. Like Alta, I ground my work with the cards in an initial intellectual framework and then allow my intuition to take the rest of it. When I started with Tarot (again; you're getting a lot of personal history in here, so I'm sorry if this isn't interesting or relevant to you) I was leery of "intuitive" reading. I've always felt that it was a bit too easy to go off the deep end with intuitive Tarot reading and abandon the prescribed meaning of the cards altogether--say, for example, that you turn up the Death card and you say it means that there's no significant change on the horizon. But I think that as long as intuition is balanced by an ordered, rational understanding of what each card means, it can add a lot to a reading, so I've been working in recent years to add a bit more of that reading style into my work with Tarot.

I'm also with you regarding a lot of the conventions that people have about their Tarot decks. I also feel that the cards are "just paper". I'll keep them clean and avoid ripping them, but, for example, I have no problem with people other than myself handling my cards, I'll read with a deck I bought as easily as with one that was given to me, and so on.

nisaba said:
Tarot produces meaningful information whether I believe in anything or not.

So yes, although I have very strongly-held beliefs, my Tarot practice is essentially atheist in nature - I have a tool, and I use it. It performs the way you'd expect a tool designed to do the job would perform.

I think I understand what you're saying, although I think my practice is a little different from yours. I'm not sure that (for my readings; I'm not trying to cast aspersions on your reading style whatsoever, so please forgive me and let me know if it comes across that way) I would agree with the statement that "Tarot produces meaningful information". The way I think about it, it's more that I produce meaningful information, and I happen to do so by looking at a set of images that are, themselves, devoid of meaning. It's kind of like playing connect-the-dots with a star map and coming up with a configuration that looks like someone pouring water out of a jug. You can connect the image to the myth of Ganymede, ascribe a myth and meaning to it, and then interpret it in a way that would affect your actions in the material world, but I'm not sure that I, personally, would believe that the "meaningful" image of Aquarius actually exists in the stars. It's just that I happened to see it in a randomly produced pattern, and then chose to make something meaningful out of it.

(I hope that analogy made sense. Let me know if it missed the target.)

nisaba said:
So how do you account for being able to produce detailed and meaningful readings for a total stranger who has just sat down in front of you, and about whom you know nothing and of whom you ask for no information?

Ha, well, that's the thing. I don't produce detailed or meaningful readings for strangers about whom I have been given no information. I know there are readers who can do this, but I am simply not one of them. I always ask for as much information as I can have before I start a reading, and I really don't feel comfortable if I have to read without some context. On those occasions (such as with some online readings) where I do have to perform a reading without obtaining any additional information, I always feel like I'm working blind. To me, at that point, I'm stumbling through the dark, and I personally feel like my readings are more a matter of guesswork than of me actually providing relevant insight using the Tarot. I suppose it's largely a matter of personal style and what each reader is comfortable with.

nisaba said:
And I have a problem with predicting things. "You will meet a tall, dark, handsome stranger on Tuesday." Yeah? What if you stay in all day and don't open the door or answer the phone? "You will have a car accident in January." Yeah? If you sell your car in December and don't buy a new one until February, riding your bicycle or catching trains everywhere instead?

I'm definitely with you. From what I've seen, even readers who do use Tarot for fortune-telling will always emphasize the importance of personal action in determining the future. Few and far between are those who would claim that you are destined to meet a tall, dark stranger at the bus stop nearest your home at exactly 4:17 PM on October 3rd, regardless of whether you go to that bus stop at that time. The predictive readings I've seen have often been more contingent on personal choice--things like "If you pursue this relationship, you're likely to end up getting hurt". Now, this is still something that I try to avoid in my readings, but I definitely find it much easier to understand how readers would feel comfortable making this kind of prediction.

nisaba said:
I use Tarot to identify problem-areas (that they haven't told me about) and potential solutions or at least ways of avoiding or lessening the problems. I use Tarot to identify their opportunities (that they haven't told me about), and to find practical ways to maximise it in their lives.

I think we're more or less on the same page. I'm probably more inclined to try to show a different perspective on opportunities that a querent is already aware of (rather than new ones they don't know about), but we seem to agree fundamentally that the primary goal of Tarot is to provide useful insight that will let people make positive changes in their lives.

Apollonia

Hi everyone,

Moving this thread over from an original post I made in the new members' forum (here). I've been reading Tarot for six years, and have developed a reading style based mainly on introspection and using Tarot symbolism to analyze a querent's situation.

My reading style draws heavily on a personal lack of religious belief. I don't believe in anything supernatural, and that extends to the Tarot. I find Tarot a useful tool in that it consists of a set of specific symbols that I can interpret and apply to a situation, but I've never felt that the cards themselves actually presented a message of their own. The onus is on me as the reader to use what I know about the querent's situation as a way to interpret cards which (in my opinion) have no inherent meaning or message to offer.

As an extension of this, I'm reticent to try to use the Tarot to predict the future, or to talk about people other than my querent. It's not within the scope of what I believe Tarot (or, if you prefer, Tarot in my hands) can do.

I know that not everyone reads Tarot the way I do, and I want to emphasize that I don't think other ways of reading are in any way wrong or bad. It's just that this is a reading style that I'm comfortable with, based on my personal beliefs; it's what works for me. However, I wanted to share my perspective with the larger community and see what other people have to say. Do you have different perspectives? Do you think something is somehow missing from my reading style? Do you also have certain boundaries regarding the kinds of questions you will and won't accept, based on your fundamental understanding of what the cards are and do? I'd really like to get a dialogue going.
I respect your viewpoint, and it would be interesting to trade readings sometime, because my philosophy and the way I read could not be farther from yours!

I feel I was called by Spirit to do this work, and as a medium, in my readings I hear from the angels, guides (both animal and human), and/or ancestors of my querents. My readings are fundamentally based on spirituality and I couldn't do this work if I didn't believe in the supernatural, as you put it.

But I don't think that means something is necessarily missing from your readings. As long as the querent goes away hopefully uplifted and empowered, that to me is the key. (Although I will say that at the shop where I used to read, there were a couple of readers who did more of the symbol-based readings, and they reported back that their clients who had gotten readings from me seemed disappointed that they didn't work with spirit guides.)

JackofWands

I respect your viewpoint, and it would be interesting to trade readings sometime, because my philosophy and the way I read could not be farther from yours!

I feel I was called by Spirit to do this work, and as a medium, in my readings I hear from the angels, guides (both animal and human), and/or ancestors of my querents. My readings are fundamentally based on spirituality and I couldn't do this work if I didn't believe in the supernatural, as you put it.

But I don't think that means something is necessarily missing from your readings. As long as the querent goes away hopefully uplifted and empowered, that to me is the key. (Although I will say that at the shop where I used to read, there were a couple of readers who did more of the symbol-based readings, and they reported back that their clients who had gotten readings from me seemed disappointed that they didn't work with spirit guides.)

I'd love to trade readings with you sometime! It'll be interesting to see a reading done for me by someone who understands Tarot so differently. Would you want to do specific question-based readings (each proffering a personally relevant question), or something more general (which might serve to better highlight differences in reading style)?

I know some people work with spirit guides during readings, but I'm not terribly familiar with how the process works. I'll cast around the forum a bit, but I was wondering: How do you interact with the guides? I'm assuming you receive messages to help direct your reading, but are the messages just in the form of strong intuition, or is there something more sensory involved (e.g. some form of combining Tarot with scrying or other divinatory techniques)?

Personally, I've never had anyone express disappointment that I didn't work with their guides, but there could be a couple of reasons for that (the simplest being that it's not a criticism people want to offer, even if they feel that way). I think part of it may be a matter of the context in which readings are conducted; if I was in a setting where most of the readers worked with spirit guides, I know I would definitely be surprised to work with a reader who approached things differently. In that sense, I've also always worked to make my reading style clear to my querents from the beginning, so they're (hopefully) not blindsided by an unfamiliar reading technique.

moon_light

I'm an atheist, too, but I do ascribe some mystical properties to the process of reading tarot cards. I believe there are things we don't understand (which makes them "mystical" to us), but I don't believe there is God or gods or some higher intelligence that's behind it. I just think the universe is too vast for us to understand. A cockroach doesn't understand calculus –*it doesn't have that capacity. But that doesn't make calculus not exist. Not to offend anyone, but I see the idea of deity as a cop out of sorts because we don't like uncertainty. (Nothing against those who believe, though. Really. I can respect religion while not believing in it.)

If you want to know how I think tarot might work from an atheist perspective, I wrote it up here: http://tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=4073814&postcount=22