Just got my first ever tarot deck!

fallen5024

As the title says.....and I am wondering should I read the guidebook that came with them on each cards meanings or leave it and see how I get on?

Thanks

Lunajade

Congratulations with your first tarot deck! I recommend you read the guide first to get familiar with the card meanings before doing a reading. You can also check out the tarot card meanings on this forum (see top side). Which tarot deck did you choose?

BodhiSeed

This is what I wish I had done with my first deck:
Get a cheap notebook and go through the cards in your deck, one by one. Write down a few lines about what you see, how the card makes you feel, and what keywords you think describe it. Then compare your booklet and its meanings to several other sources (for free ones, there is the "Tarot Meanings" section here and lots of online ones like learntarot.com). You will find a lot of discrepancy between all of them probably, but which one rings true for you? Jot it down in your notebook.
Just my two cents. :) Welcome to the forum!

Grizabella

I just want to say welcome and congratulations on your new deck! I look forward to seeing you around the forum as you learn and grow. Never be afraid to ask questions. That's how we all learn. :)

kduphily

Welcome and congrats on the new deck, which one is it? as for what you should do first, if you feel like you should read the book than do it, if not do something like BodhiSeed said, there are no rules to tarot lol and I echo what Grizabella said dont be afraid to ask questions, we are all here to learn :)

cSpaceDiva

I have an exercise I like to do with new decks. This comes from The Faeries' Oracle by Brian Froud and Jessica MacBeth, but it works on any type of deck. Before you read about the meanings, go through the deck and pick out your favorite (most appealing) and least favorite (most uncomfortable) cards. You may have to start by narrowing down the field, but do try to come up with 1 or maybe 2 cards for each. Now really study each card separately and write down your answers for the following questions: What is the emotional atmosphere of the card? Look at symbols, facial expressions, colors, or just the feeling you get. What are the physical characteristics? Health, possessions, social standing. What are the mental characteristics? What are the spiritual characteristics? What do you find most appealling? What do you find least appealling? What other impressions or observations have you made?

After writing down your answers, you can look up the meanings in the book. Your favorite card tells you what you are trying to create in your life. Your least favorite tells you what you are having trouble dealing with. Next turn the cards so you see the backs and pick one card randomly or intuitively. Go through the same questions. This card is a message about how you can get past the difficulties into what you want to create.

It would be great if you could do that with all the cards, but for me that has never been realistic. However I do find it helpful to at least do it with the cards I have the strongest (positive and negative) reaction to.

Good luck!

nisaba

Welcome to the forum!

Keep the guidebook, but what you really need to do is familiarise yourself with the images. Sleeping with it under the pillow won't help, nit unless you have X-ray eyes and can see through the back of your head and through your pillow <grin>. Shuffle often. Look at cards (without reading them) often.

Contemplate each image without looking at the book: how does it make you feel? What do you think it happening? Has just happened? Will happen in a minute? Is happening beyond the edges of the card? Then look at the LWB (Little White Book) and see what points your own feelings have in common with whoever wrote it. And remember, it was written by a human, as flawed as you. And possibly even by a publisher's lackey, completely devoid of Tarot experience.

Read other people's questions around the forum, and the range of answers they get. Ask your own questions, and check back every few days to see what additional answers have been given.

You have just taken the first step on a learning-curve which will take decades, if not the rest of your life. How exciting!

BrownBear

Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll stick around. What deck did you get?

Laura Borealis

As the title says.....and I am wondering should I read the guidebook that came with them on each cards meanings or leave it and see how I get on?

Thanks

What you should do first is tell us what deck you got! :D

PAMUYA

This is what I wish I had done with my first deck:
Get a cheap notebook and go through the cards in your deck, one by one. Write down a few lines about what you see, how the card makes you feel, and what keywords you think describe it. Then compare your booklet and its meanings to several other sources (for free ones, there is the "Tarot Meanings" section here and lots of online ones like learntarot.com). You will find a lot of discrepancy between all of them probably, but which one rings true for you? Jot it down in your notebook.
Just my two cents. :) Welcome to the forum!

I agree with this... welcome and enjoy your journey.