Are personal face to face readings more productive ?

tarot_red

Hi,

This came up when I was doing a reading exchange in this forum, and would love to know what you guys think

When doing readings on forums like this (blind so to say) with sometimes very little background information, are or can readings or interpretations sometimes get difficult or totally off the mark.

Let me explain further. In personal readings, cues from the querent are very helpful (according to my experience) and sometimes the following questions probed by the reader, aided with prompting from the querent, leads to amazing insights and revelations, which may not be possible in "impersonal readings".

This came to light because when I read the cards for an AT member I read it a certain way (when i was "blind") and when she told me the background, I interpreted the cards in a totally different way (although the end result was the same).

So I wanted to ask, in the above case, does it highlight my shortcomings or lack of experience as a reader or is this part and parcel of doing "impersonal readings"?

I know I went around a bit baabbling, but I hope you guys got the gist.
Would love to know your thoughts. Thanks.

prissybaby

I'm starting to wonder about this too. I mean I understand that some people have spirit guides that can lead them in the right direction even without a lot of background information, but most people probably don't. As far as I know I don't anyway. But intuition can only get us so far because usually it's based on our own experiences and our own understanding of human events. So when it comes to situations that may be out of the norm, how do you deal with that without knowing a little background about the person involved if it's just an online reading. You don't get any feelings from the person since you're not directly seated across from them and unless they volunteer information, you just don't know how on the mark you are. It's truly a cold reading. So I would think a personal face to face reading would be more productive.

digi162

I think face to face readings can be more productive than online or blind if the person is willing to fess up details. Like I did a couple readings with a friend once, and during those readings she would describe the situation more as we went through the cards. Then if she said something important, I could backtrack and explain something further, or get better clarification on something that didn't make sense at first. Exactly what you describe with the reading cues.

Online readings can be harder when people don't add more detail to their question. Questions like "Will I get together again with X" but leave out a whole bunch of details that would have the reading make more sense. Such as X is actually married or they haven't spoken in years haha. Normally face to face you could ask more questions like what happened, last time you spoke to the person, what they want to have happen, etc. An online reading I think could be more productive I think if you knew more details. If you knew the full story behind the question you could link up why certain cards are appearing. Without the extra information you pretty much are stuck guessing which can be bad for new readers as it could deter them.

Overall I think face to face can give you the advantage even without extra information if you have the tools to read a person by looking at them. Their posture, their clothes, how they talk, etc. can give away details. Asking the right questions could even give you some insight into their personality and who they are. If you know palmistry, you could cheat at the beginning of the reading and study their hand for details.

Empath111

Hmm....trying to think how I want to word this.

I think if you were given the same amount of info, and if a person did not give non-verbal cues in face-to-face, I think the results would be similar. I think in face-to-face there's more of a chance to pick up on other things. I do think energy can be felt face-to-face or at a distance.

In reads I have a hard time if I have no idea what the person is asking about. Love, finances, family, children? Give me a subject (if it isn't clear in the question) and it will help me interpret the cards better. LOL Oh, X was your brother and not your lover? LOL I wish I knew that! LOL

Asbestos Mango

I actually find that I read better online, in the Reading Exchange than face-to-face. When I read in person, for some reason, I nearly always end up with a sitter who just... sits, doesn't interact, talk to me, like they just expect that they can just passively listen while I hand down answers from on high. Even if they do talk to me about their issues during the reading, well... usually in the middle of the night a few days later, I have some great insight or piece of advice that would have been really helpful, but then I can't get hold of the sitter to tell them about it.

When I'm reading in the forum, even if the "sitter" hasn't given me any details other than just the question, I find that I'm pretty accurate, and typing up the reading, I find that I'm able to look at more angles of a card, can sit back and think about what I'm saying, reread the post, and have my insights and advice right then and there, and can go back and rework what I've written, and add additional insights before I hit "Submit Reply".

I've also done some readings for folks here via Yahoo Messenger, and find that I give better readings than I do face-to-face. I seem to do better at thinking of those insights and advice if I'm writing/typing the reading than I do in person.

Empath111

I actually find that I read better online, in the Reading Exchange than face-to-face. When I read in person, for some reason, I nearly always end up with a sitter who just... sits, doesn't interact, talk to me, like they just expect that they can just passively listen while I hand down answers from on high. Even if they do talk to me about their issues during the reading, well... usually in the middle of the night a few days later, I have some great insight or piece of advice that would have been really helpful, but then I can't get hold of the sitter to tell them about it.

When I'm reading in the forum, even if the "sitter" hasn't given me any details other than just the question, I find that I'm pretty accurate, and typing up the reading, I find that I'm able to look at more angles of a card, can sit back and think about what I'm saying, reread the post, and have my insights and advice right then and there, and can go back and rework what I've written, and add additional insights before I hit "Submit Reply".

I've also done some readings for folks here via Yahoo Messenger, and find that I give better readings than I do face-to-face. I seem to do better at thinking of those insights and advice if I'm writing/typing the reading than I do in person.

I thought of that too..online you can take your time, relax, meditate. In front of someone just staring at you...LOL..not so much.

SunChariot

Hi,

This came up when I was doing a reading exchange in this forum, and would love to know what you guys think

When doing readings on forums like this (blind so to say) with sometimes very little background information, are or can readings or interpretations sometimes get difficult or totally off the mark.

Let me explain further. In personal readings, cues from the querent are very helpful (according to my experience) and sometimes the following questions probed by the reader, aided with prompting from the querent, leads to amazing insights and revelations, which may not be possible in "impersonal readings".

This came to light because when I read the cards for an AT member I read it a certain way (when i was "blind") and when she told me the background, I interpreted the cards in a totally different way (although the end result was the same).

So I wanted to ask, in the above case, does it highlight my shortcomings or lack of experience as a reader or is this part and parcel of doing "impersonal readings"?

I know I went around a bit baabbling, but I hope you guys got the gist.
Would love to know your thoughts. Thanks.

The answer is, at least my answer is, that we are all different inside. There are no absolutes in Tarot. Some people will read better in person where they can get cues from the querent (you seem to be one), other people read better in remote or online readings (I am one of those.

Tarot is ultimately about accessing something deep inside you and bringing it out. The path there is different for each of us. Similarly the skills we each have to bring that out are different. Some of us are more clairvoyant (see the answer) , some more clairaudient (hear the answer), some more claircognizant (just spontaneiously know the answer) and so on. We all have skills as readers but they do not all reside in the same areas.

It is no more a shortcoming to be better at reading in person than at reading online than to be better at reading online than at reading in person. No more that a person who excels at Math but is bad at History, is any better or worse than someone who excels at History, but is bad at Math. It is not a shortcoming. And just as the world needs BOTH historians and mathemeticions, so the world needs both in person and online readers.

In Tarot, you just need to find, through practise and experinece, where your individual skills lie and what they are, then to follow that.

So, those are my opinions on that,

Babs

SunChariot

I thought of that too..online you can take your time, relax, meditate. In front of someone just staring at you...LOL..not so much.

Exactly, those are some of the reason I read better online. If I am not focused enough when I start, I can just get up walk away, meditate and do whategver I need to, come back hours later if I need to and start again. There is a freedom in that.

Babs

Empath111

The answer is, at least my answer is, that we are all different inside. There are no absolutes in Tarot. Some people will read better in person where they can get cues from the querent (you seem to be one), other people read better in remote or online readings (I am one of those.

Tarot is ultimately about accessing something deep inside you and bringing it out. The path there is different for each of us. Similarly the skills we each have to bring that out are different. Some of us are more clairvoyant (see the answer) , some more clairaudient (hear the answer), some more claircognizant (just spontaneiously know the answer) and so on. We all have skills as readers but they do not all reside in the same areas.

It is no more a shortcoming to be better at reading in person than it is to be better at reading online. No more that a person who excels at Math but is bad at History, is any better or worse than someone who excels at History, but is bad at Math. It is not a shortcoming. And just as the world needs BOTH historians and mathemeticions, so the world needs both in person and online readers.

In Tarot, you just need to find, through practise and experinece, where your individual skills lie and what they are, then to follow that.

So, those are my opinions on that,

Babs

:) Good answer

vonniedeak

I read better online than I do in person. I think it is right to say like stated above it is according to the reader and what they feel comfortable with. I often look at my cheat sheet of keywords for the meanings so I guess I that is why I read better online...when in person it looks like I don't know what I am doing when I look at my cheat sheet of keywords...lol. Over the years I have jotted down a list of meanings of each of the cards so that my memory never fails me. I even have a deck that I used when I first started that has the meanings of each card written on the back. I use the best meaning according to what is asked. My meanings are pretty accurate even though I have a terrible memory...smiling.

Blessed be,

Von