Are tarot cards a doorway for negative entities?

Farzon

I second most of what was said here before - we as readers are the doorway not the cards.

One more profane possibility I'd like to point out: the negative cards came up when you tried to prove the Tarot's messages. In my experience this is never a good idea. It simply won't work and result in nonsense showing up.

If you continue to receive only negative messages try this: rearrange your deck to order. Give it to a Tarot - experienced friend and let them read for you. This can help breaking the "spell" of negativity.

nisaba

Alright then. Since you use the Tarot to contact benevolent entities of your choosing, it would naturally follow that you can use it to contact malevolent ones as well. But it is a matter of choice. There's no doorway to be opened where things can come and go as they please. You're not conjuring anything.

Agreed.

This thing you're experiencing is pretty common in the occult game but most don't talk about it openly. Once you allow belief in all sorts of divine, ethereal goody two shoes, you'll also have to believe in their opposites, any kind of plutonian nightmarish creepy crawlies. Once your stress levels start to rise for whatever reason, you'll naturally link it to the creepy crawlies instead of identifying it as just stress.

Agreed. But I wouldn't limit it only to the occult game. It happens to complete materialists, too. It's a part of the basic human condition. As long as we're wandering around in human bodies, we're prone to it.

Try this simple technique. Once you feel a negative presence, force yourself to laugh. It won't feel natural at all in the beginning and you'll feel stupid for doing it but continue. Soon you'll be laughing naturally. And you'll notice the negative presence is gone. This isn't psychobabbling of some kind, it's an actual magical technique.

Yep.

The Tarot is just like life. You'll get both positive cards and negative cards and everything in between. Doesn't mean there's a boogieman behind that happening.

And that, too. And Tarot will tend to show you when you're hiding negative stuff within yourself from yourself so well that you don't even realise it's there any more. So when you see it, is the time to *do*something about it, ad have a new, developed, more mature relationship with yourself.

All of your post pretty-much bounces off mine, from a slightly different perspective. :)

chaosbloom

Agreed. But I wouldn't limit it only to the occult game. It happens to complete materialists, too. It's a part of the basic human condition. As long as we're wandering around in human bodies, we're prone to it.

No it's definitely not limited there but the occult form is particularly insidious because many of the ideas and concepts in magic and divination would basically be obsessive-compulsive or irrational obsessions in a different context. For example, you have a couple of long work-days, you're exhausted, running up on too many deadlines, maybe with some professional rivalries in the mix. You're all stressed up, trying to get some sleep and suddenly a thought creeps into your mind: "Oh my god, I misspelled that one word when calling the quarters last night! What if a demon entered the circle?! What if I'm gonna get possessed?" All the daily drudge and stress finds a pretty fertile field where anything goes and creates all sorts of wildly imaginative fears.

The key I think is to always hold any magical or spiritual belief in that grey area away from completely serious ideas where you can easily push them into the area of nonsense so that when they start to revolt against you, you'll be able to say "Possessed because I misspelled something? No, that's bollocks, I'm going back to sleep, got things to do tomorrow.". The whole point of willpower in magic is to control your belief, empower what you want to happen with it and shatter anything unpleasant with the most vicious disbelief to the point of roaring laughter. :)

The general motto which seems to annoy people but I might also be bad at fully explaining is "Why so serious?".

And that, too. And Tarot will tend to show you when you're hiding negative stuff within yourself from yourself so well that you don't even realise it's there any more. So when you see it, is the time to *do*something about it, ad have a new, developed, more mature relationship with yourself.

I was mostly talking about prediction or external events you might get knowledge of through Tarot. I usually do this sort of introspection you're talking about with pure reflection and pondering. I don't really disagree with the things you say though. I'm a firm believer that positivity and negativity are both inherent parts of nature, they're equally necessary and both should be under our control when they're within us.

All of your post pretty-much bounces off mine, from a slightly different perspective. :)

Yes, and the kind of concept you have about what demons (and probably angels) are is pretty much the exclusively materialist take on chaos magick. I could go on with how I see things (I'm pretty close but not exactly there while still being a kind of materialist) but we'd get horribly off-topic.

Grizabella

Since you're a Christian, ask yourself this: Is God more powerful or are demons more powerful? Naturally you recognize that God is more powerful than anything else in the universe. So if you belong to God and He's the ultimately powerful Being, then do you honestly think He'd allow demons to infiltrate you because of a deck of cards? Fearing anything gives it power over you and your life and it also draws the thing you fear into your life. :)

Padma

Since you're a Christian, ask yourself this: Is God more powerful or are demons more powerful? Naturally you recognize that God is more powerful than anything else in the universe. So if you belong to God and He's the ultimately powerful Being, then do you honestly think He'd allow demons to infiltrate you because of a deck of cards? Fearing anything gives it power over you and your life and it also draws the thing you fear into your life. :)

What an amazing answer, Griz. You truly astound me sometimes :love:

avalonian

Fearing anything gives it power over you and your life and it also draws the thing you fear into your life. :)

As Padma said, that is an amazing answer from Grizabella, and that last sentence is going into my journal (and possibly on my wall!),

:) :) :)

seedcake

Woah :D This is the thing which everyone can use, no matter of the faith. Just put any other kind of religion and we can get the needed answers. Love it to the pieces :heart:

Farzon

Thanks for that! Exactly why I was never afraid of demons. I think it's mainly a question of your beliefs and your intentions. If laying out some cards could open a gate for evil entities, so could playing any card game. The difference is not in the action but in your intention, so why should malign beings invade a pack of cards simply because it's a Tarot deck?