Astro Mythological by Mlle. Lenormand

darwinia

Also called the Grand Lenormand, I was dithering about which Lenormand deck to buy and finally settled on this because of the extra artwork and constellations it contains. I'm not interested in astrology but I do like astronomy and thought this would be interesting.

I was also pleased to see a reference to the Trojan War aspect of these cards. Talk about synchronicity, I was mentioning the Trojan War earlier today in this thread:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=602575&posted=1

It keeps showing up in my life--must mean something interesting ahead. Perhaps I shall become a keen strategist and die in battle! I love these cards and the information provided in the booklet--particularly about the symbolism and characters on each card.

The constellations appear to be limited to the zodiac signs. I wondered if anyone has thought to use this with a card deck that has other constellations, like the Knowledge Card deck that deals with that or other decks (there aren't too many of them, and so far I haven't found any in Canada.)

It seems to me that this Lenormand deck might be interesting to pair with a deck based more on the science of astronomy and fuller descriptions of constellations. Sort of a random tickle of astronomy to get the mind leaping, you know?

Rusty Neon

darwinia said:
The constellations appear to be limited to the zodiac signs.

Darwinia,

In this deck (the Grand Lenormand), there are non-zodiac constellations as well. In fact, to hazard an estimate, there are more non-zodiac constellations than zodiac ones in this deck. For example, according to the deck French-language reference book by Sédillot, the Ace of Hearts has the Milky Way; the Valet of Hearts has 4 non-zodiac constellations (Ballatrix; La Couronne boréale/literally Northern Crown; Andromeda; and Le Bouvier/literally Herdsman/Sheep); the 7 of Clubs has 4 non-zodiac constellations (Orion; The Big Dipper; Cassiopea; and the Unicorn), etc.

darwinia

Rusty Neon said:
the 7 of Clubs has 4 non-zodiac constellations (Orion; The Big Dipper; Cassiopea; and the Unicorn), etc.

Okay, thanks Rusty. I guess I need my magnifying glass and a constellation chart. Which is good, I wanted the deck to in part teach me about constellations.

Cassiopeia I know (I refer to her as "The Big W") and can spot as well as the big and little dipper, which were directly over my head recently. Why does this planet turn and skew the map??!! Why, why? We little soldiers of the night sky get confused and lose our bearings over the tree line.

More magnificently intriguing stuff to learn.

TheOld

i got this deck and also an verry usefull book about it who explain the mythological history of each scene and what it means.
i like it verry much, there's tons of information on it.
so for any question, don't bother to ask :)

Love, Light & Power
Omeada

darwinia

A Solution

Yes, I think I will enjoy this too.

I ordered "Find the Constellations" by H.A. Rey - the chap who wrote all the Curious George books. It's supposed to be very easy to learn them from this book, and it's written for 9-12 year-olds and has great illustrations.

I have no pride, I am a 9 year-old in the Universe.

Cerulean

Sorry, one question to Theold about the Astro-Tarot useful book, please

...and it's a two-part question--Please let us know the title and if it is in English, French or Italian. A very nice please-please-thank-you-kindly!

Best,

Cerulean

P.S. The flowers in that deck are very nice. Perhaps an old fashioned language of flowers...

TheOld

Cerulean said:
P.S. The flowers in that deck are very nice. Perhaps an old fashioned language of flowers...

in my book "understand and interpret the big game of mlle Lenormand" by Corinne Morel (in french) it's said that flowers are relative to Love unders their own symbolics. Their Interpretation are verry not often and are done with the reference table of Marie-Anne Lenormand (the table are at the end of the book).

For the constellation it's said that they are their to find Geographic location and again are done with specific table of Mlle Lenromand (again at the end of the book).

Omeada

darwinia

TheOld said:
in my book "understand and interpret the big game of mlle Lenormand" by Corinne Morel (in french)

Darn, the good ones never seem to be translated to English. My French is rudimentary, but I'm sure I could get the gist of the mythology and then look it up in further reference books. Thanks Omeada.

I have a couple of dictionairies of classical mythology which are often helpful along with my "Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable." There is an inexpensive paperback edition of "Dictionary of Classical Mythology" by J.E. Zimmerman, available at amazon, that I have found to be useful.

[edited to add]

It's OOP at amazon.ca and Chapters but one of the amazon sellers has a copy for $39 CDN (Yikes!!)

Le livre du grand jeu de Mlle Lenormand
by Jean-Didier (Author)
Paperback - 238 pages (1997)
Language: French
Trajectoire ISBN: 2841970388

There is one for $18 USD from Paris, France listed at ABE Books. I don't have the money for that, but at least it's out there. Seems to be a different author than Omeada's book.

Corinne Morel does not have a book on the Lenormand according to amazon or Chapters, but she's got a new book (soon to be in paperback) on symbols and mythology.

TheOld

Theres many many Lenormand book and Marseille book in french, maybe cause these cards come from a french roots.

Love, Light & Power
Power

yaraluna

I read a review of this deck and wanted to know your opinion on it:

QUOTE--The techniques for reading the cards are clearly explained, but they are time consuming, and one would have to pay strict attention to them. This is a deck that could be used for reading by someone who was a student of mythology, and of the esoteric, and understood the nuances of the cards. Other than that, while I find the deck fascinating, I see it more in the collector category than the user category.--QUOTE

Those of you that have the deck and have used it: do you find this review accurate with regards to the use of the deck?

thanks