book about white magick

ivanna

Hi,
I am interested on learning about magick after doing a spell months ago that worked very well, but I dont know were to start. I got a copy of modern magic, by donald kraig, but Im not pretty sure about if this is an adequate book for me.
I got a bit scared when I arrived to chaptersvtalking about goetia manuals and spirit evocatons. I do not want to get involved in dangerous activities. Just be able to consecrate, make any spell, white magick, nothing related to the dark side.
Would you recommend me something?
I dont believe in gods and goddeses so I can not say Im wiccan 100%

Lil Red

I recommend you Scott Cunningham he has great material for magick and then there is True Magick by Amber K.

Also you do not have to be Wiccan to do Magick or believe in Gods or Goddess. it's all about the intent. I usually work with visualization since that works with me or candle Magick.

ivanna

Thanks, I will have a look to both suggestions.

Anna

I don't believe in the concept of "white" and "black" magic. "Magic" is both and it is neither. (I do not use the word "magic" to describe what I do, for the simple reason that I understand how it works.)

Besides, the "dark side" is far more fun :D

ivanna

Hi Anna,
thank you for your message.
I started with Ceremonial Magick, but when arriving to goetia and evoctions, I did not see the funny side, but the scary :(
This is why I was thinking about the ¿boring? and ¿safer? side ¿?.
Well, If you can recommend me anything you find interesting and funny I would be grateful
Thank you

Anna

I don't know anything about ceremonial magic. What I practice could be described as a kind of feral, primal magic, working with the land, my ancestors, the old ways, etc.

What I know, I did not learn from books but from trying things out and learning from my experiences, so it would be hard to recommend any books...

You are right that the "darker" side of things can be scary. But for me, the reality is that all "magical" working has the potential to be scary, or awe inspiring, or transformative, or whatever. It has also been my experience that risks are rewarded.

Zephyros

Kraig's books are pretty tame, as far as that goes, but it depends on your definition of "black magick." Remember that for the magician, evoking demons is a way of gaining mastery over them, with each one symbolizing a different vice. These kinds of rituals can be just as meaningful and cathartic as any other, probably a lot more, since the process entails true mastery over yourself and possibly your own ego-driven desires. Just as psychological therapy may teach you to live with and harness your "bad" qualities, much magick that I've read has much the same sort of aims.

Be aware, though, that Kraig's books are arranged on a learning curve, so it does little good to skim forward (on the contrary, it is actually detrimental). By the time you get to evocations, you should be well grounded in the first few chapters dealing with the basics, the LBRP, meditation exercises and the like. It really isn't just a question of saying a few names and then winning the lottery. Background knowledge of Kabbalah is also useful, although not strictly mandatory. Patience is paramount, it could take you a year to get through the first chapters but it is time extremely well spent.

Personally I found Kraig's book Modern Sex Magick just as good, if not better, but to read that effectively, one should get through the first book. You might also want to try Lon Milo DuQuette's Magic of Thelema, a wonderful book with Lon's signature humor and down to earth attitude.

ivanna

Hi Closrapexa. I think that is what I need. So I will be well ground based if I ever arrive to the chapters of evocations and so on.
I will also have a look to the magick of thelema book.

ravenest

Hi,
I am interested on learning about magick after doing a spell months ago that worked very well, but I dont know were to start. I got a copy of modern magic, by donald kraig, but Im not pretty sure about if this is an adequate book for me.
I got a bit scared when I arrived to chaptersvtalking about goetia manuals and spirit evocatons. I do not want to get involved in dangerous activities. Just be able to consecrate, make any spell, white magick, nothing related to the dark side.
Would you recommend me something?
I dont believe in gods and goddeses so I can not say Im wiccan 100%

Approach it sensibly as you would any other subject . Learn the basics first and HOW to do the parts of things correctly , for example one has to learn to hold the pen before one starts to be able to make letters ... and so on all the way to through learning to write, comprehend and eventually become a great writer.

Or learning to be an electrician might be a better example .... one shouldnt even begin to THINK ABOUT complex and dangerous practice at the beginning .... there is enough in there on the basic level to keep one busy for a long time.

There are some important first principles like: building a strong base; balancing the elemental forces, banishing and protection rituals.

Like in any training system I recommend a system that puts 'first things first' and certain steps in the proper order .... if one is serious about studying the art ... as opposed to playing with it for the 'fun of doing spells'.

I recommend starting here ... (yes this is a technical and at first difficult system but the introduction * here , at least, is worth reading)

http://hermetic.com/93beast.fea.st/files/section1/ABA/Book 4 Part III MiTaP.pdf

* the introduction at the beginning that appears before the list of Contents - p. ix to p. xxiv .