buying decks?..

yaraluna

Sulis said:
Exactly, Le Fanu said it...

Yara, I'm afraid that as Wendywu has said in her post, you have as much of a chance at getting decks that are for sale in the Tarot Trading forum as any other forum member.
It's also not up to you or anyone else to say what someone does with a deck once it is theirs.

Sulis et al interested:
1-yes we all have the chance, but not an equal chance in my view.

2- I am not telling people what to do with what they buy.
*I am however pointing out to an issue that affects us all, whether we want/choose to consider it/raise the issue in public or not.

*I AM pointing out to the issue of intent to purchase that limits the "as much of a chance...as any other forum member" implied assumption on AT.

Thank you for listening. I will not pursue this discussion in public any further.
I have decks to find still. :)

yara

SkadisPhoenix

I don't think it's necessarily greed in all cases either. I may not be selling my decks, but if I would sell anything that I thought was worth money because money is so tight for my boyfriend and me.

I can understand your frustration that you are obviously feeling about this subject, but at the same time, it's not necessarily being greedy and capitalist, and there's not much to be done about it.

MysticalMoose

yaraluna said:
Sulis et al interested:

yara

I am interested as to what you mean by "not an equal chance"...

:)

SkadisPhoenix

MysticalMoose said:
I am interested as to what you mean by "not an equal chance"...

:)
To be honest, that was confusing me too. No matter where the person is buying from, whether it's on here, EBAY, Amazon, Llewellyn, any site like that, everybody has just as much chance as the other. Yes, sometimes prices will be out of our range, doesn't change the fact that the opportunity was still there...

Le Fanu

I think we do have an equal chance (except if we're talking about someone not buying something because they cannot afford it...)

Im fairly stoical about not getting decks. We've all stumbled upon a trading thread which had the deck we were looking for which we missed by 2 minutes. It happened to me last week with the Alchemical Renewed. I utter a light-hearted "damn!", feel happy for the person who got it and then go on enjoying the thrill of the chase (all's fair in love and war etc etc...)

But, ultimately, getting or not getting a tarot deck I want is low on my list of things. It doesn't really matter either way, let's face it ;)

Sulis

yaraluna said:
Sulis et al interested:

2- I am not telling people what to do with what they buy.
*I am however pointing out to an issue that affects us all, whether we want/choose to consider it/raise the issue in public or not.

But you are telling people that it's wrong to get a deck in trade here if they want it to resell it; that's what you're doing.

As I said before; what someone does with a deck once it is theirs is their business and no-one elses and if you have any problems in Tarot Trading then you should contact me and tell me about it; as Tarot Trading moderator I will do my best to help.

Wendywu

Yeah - I know you've missed decks Le Fanu - such as stepping aside to let me have that Saints :)

It happens to us all - the deck of your dreams come up on the day you paid the phone bill and haven't got any money left. No matter - it'll come along again ....

Or else someone nips in first - good luck to them :) If they buy and then a few months later they desperately need some money, who am I to say they shouldn't sell a few decks? It's what I'd do if my family needed something - my decks are just about my only asset....

Hathor

And let's not forget the tons of generous souls here who have actually given decks away for no reason at all other than to brighten someone else's day. I also feel we all have the same chance as the next person to acquire any deck we wish, be it here on AT or the many many web stores available on-line.

lark

I don't think that is what Yara means...I've noticed especially lately the same people snapping up the same OOP decks in the trading forum...one person I counted 6 times they bought the same deck...with a boast in the profile of owning 3 more....now maybe they have 9 of the same decks sitting on a shelf, or maybe they turn around and sell them on Ebay for outlandish prices.
I don't know..but I think the feeling of community and fair play are part of yara's post.
And that seems to be lacking in some members.
I don't feel she is saying "I'm going to tell you how many decks you can buy."
But she does have the right to voice her opinion...and as a community of tarot enthusiast I personally feel that hoarding OOP decks is like taking the bread out of your neighbors mouth.
The trading forum can't be controlled in anyway I realise that...but we can be gracious and fair about our trades can't we?
Or has this economy turned us all into a bunch of "anything for a buck piggies"

magpie9

You are not alone, Yaraluna

This is something that I too, am concerned about. And while I understand that people have the right to buy decks for any purpose, ans as many copies as they want, I still think it somehow a twisting of the original idea behind the trading forum. I can't really imagine that originally the trading forum was meant to be for the convenience of eBay resellers. I think it was meant to be a place where members helped members get rid of the decks they no longer wanted, and get ones they did, by trading or at reasonable prices. What's happening now is not against the rules, but I believe that it is against the Spirit of ATF. I believe there are a lot of us who feel this way, and that it is a real issue.

For those of us opposed to this practice, there are a couple of things we can do to slow it down. We can, when we put decks up for sale or trade, say that we will not sell to people buying for anything other personal use and gifting. We can also keep in mind that the custom of being obligated to sell to the first comer is only a custom, Not a Rule. Just because someone posts for a deck First, does not mean the seller is obligated to sell it to that person. We can remind each other of this by PM or posting. We can ask the Mods to post a sticky to that effect in trading, so new comers will be aware of that, too. And if there are enough of us, and these things don't work as well as we'd like we can always petition Solanda. Maybe other people have some good ideas, too?