buying decks?..

The crowned one

lark said:
It's a trading forum or at least that's what the title says...maybe it should just be for trades of deck for deck or book for book.

I like this.

thorhammer

lark said:
It's a trading forum or at least that's what the title says...maybe it should just be for trades of deck for deck or book for book.
I think I like it, too - though it would slow things down markedly because many people who want a deck offered would not have the requested trade item/s. I know that's happened to me before.

I always enjoy my trades with you, too, TCO :) You're certainly not one of *those*.

\m/ Kat

lark

It might slow it down, but it would be pretty simple.
I want to trade Deck X
I will trade for
Deck Q
Deck p
Deck J
or Deck K
You leave it up there people have plenty of time to see it and mull it over...pretty simple.
You might not get an instant trade...but eventually someone would have what you want, and want what you have. :)

We all have tarot lists in our profiles we can mark what we would trade and offer a deck and let people shop in our marked tarot lists in our profile.
Same with books and oracles.

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
And yes, probably some would go on ebay.

The word "probably" is quite important here. Doesn't sound quite so calculating. Of course we never know what we may have to sell, or what's round the corner, but I think the issue is those people who pounce and buy with one (grasping) hand and sell for quick bucks with the other.

But further to another post (can't remember which) of people having to sell tarot decks so as not to starve, im not sure that's such a common scenario, but may happen I suppose (!)...

rif said:
I've seen decks that interest me come up for sale in the trading forum; and often they seem to be snatched up by one or two people who always beat me to it. It didn't occur to me that they were being resold -- I simply figured those people were avid collectors with big pocketbooks.

I always thought there were people who had fluctuating finances and would sell beloved decks then try to pick up replacements further down the line when the cash flow was better. Id always assumed this as I vaguely registered certain members dealing frequently with the same decks.

lark said:
But some members do need the paypal option for emergencies, and there are moments in life when a trade for another deck doesn't help much! It's CASH they need!

As one who has been involved in various trades, I have only ever had wonderful experiences. Every single trade has been so exciting and fun and I love that feeling of trusting someone so far away that you've never met and how amazing it is that you want X deck and they want Y deck and we live on oposite sides of the globe and we can make each other happy! I love that feeling. It's as if we're doing our bit here for world peace by trusting in someone so far off that we have never met! :D

I have never, ever had anything but wonderful trading experiences and I love the fact that my collection has decks from members here which I treasure and I can remember the exact circumstances in which I received them.

Let's not forget that most trading (one hopes) runs smoothly and is great!

emmsma

I've never paid much attention to who is buying what in the forum.
All the trades and sales I've done have been wonderful and smooth. If I've found I didn't gel with a deck, I've put it up for trade/sale.

I'm not looking to profit, and I would never bother with ebay, myself - to sell.

And I remember being a newbie trader and having lovely members pm me to let me know I was giving away valuable decks.

I think that is the greater spirit of AT. Thats what I choose to dwell on. I can't change a shark, but I can choose not do deal with one.

Thanks for letting me be aware, and look for them.

lark

Le Fanu said:
But some members do need the paypal option for emergencies, and there are moments in life when a trade for another deck doesn't help much! It's CASH they need!
Then they can sell them on Ebay.
I understand what you're saying ..I really do, but I don't think that was what the trading forum was originally set up for, a kind of pawn shop for tough times.
If we trade deck for deck it would level the playing field for everyone.

Brigid

I'm a collector and a reader of tarot. I don't sell on ebay, but I have bought from two people here on the forum that DO sell there.

Both times with both people they have been very forthright and fair in their prices and attitude.
With one, I paid the original asking prices for the decks and they paid the full postage, which I can assure you was considerable! More than fair in my opinion.

The other person is a gem who goes out of their way to search for decks for you if you want them to, and is again more than fair in pricing.

We don't always know why people are selling on ebay, it could be for any number of reasons, I don't think we have any right to judge without knowing the facts or walked a mile in their shoes.

I DO like Lark's idea of deck for deck or book for book, but not exclusively. A seperate trade only forum would be superb! :D

magpie9

lark said:
Then they can sell them on Ebay.
I understand what you're saying ..I really do, but I don't think that was what the trading forum was originally set up for, a kind of pawn shop for tough times.
If we trade deck for deck it would level the playing field for everyone.
WoW!!! :bugeyed: That could work.....!

I have noticed, since the "recession" less and less straight trades offered, and more and more cash only listings. If you really need to make money, I expect you can always do better on eBay than here. It's more hassle, but a much bigger buying audience.

magpie9

Brigid said:
I'm a collector and a reader of tarot. I don't sell on ebay, but I have bought from two people here on the forum that DO sell there.

Both times with both people they have been very forthright and fair in their prices and attitude.
With one, I paid the original asking prices for the decks and they paid the full postage, which I can assure you was considerable! More than fair in my opinion.

The other person is a gem who goes out of their way to search for decks for you if you want them to, and is again more than fair in pricing.

We don't always know why people are selling on ebay, it could be for any number of reasons, I don't think we have any right to judge without knowing the facts or walked a mile in their shoes.

I DO like Lark's idea of deck for deck or book for book, but not exclusively. A seperate trade only forum would be superb! :D
There is an Advertisements section where members can list thier ebay sites or say that they will hunt up a deck you want for you. All the tarot shops --tarot Garden, for instance, list thier sales there, as does MRP, and numerous members with etsy shops. why should the ebay sellers have to freedom to sell in trading when the other commercial enterprises aren't allowed to?

Brigid

magpie9 said:
There is an Advertisements section where members can list thier ebay sites or say that they will hunt up a deck you want for you. All the tarot shops --tarot Garden, for instance, list thier sales there, as does MRP, and numerous members with etsy shops. why should the ebay sellers have to freedom to sell in trading when the other commercial enterprises aren't allowed to?

But we were talking about buying not selling...
If they are selling in the trading forum for exorbitant prices, then as others here have previously mentioned a quiet pm of to the side would be in order.

People such as Jeanette, Karen and Ciro to name a few, are able to purchase in the forum are they not? No sarcasm intended, I really want to know.