cards that signify a permanent ending in a relationship?

olivia1

which cards signify a permanent ending to a relationship? nine of pentacles? three of swords? world? 10 of swords? eight of cups? death?

my friend and I cannot figure it out. I keep seeing eight of cups in spreads I do for others yet somehow the ending doesnt end up being permanent. or are there not any cards signifying permanent endings because there are no absolutes? But isnt death or the end the only absolute in life? must the card come at the very end of the spread (in a three card no layout) or in the outcome position (celtic cross) for it to signify a permanent ending?

Grizabella

I would say Death, for sure, would probably mean the end.

But the problem you're having is occurring because people break up a lot of times more to effect a change in the other person. It's a ploy, not a real ending. It's a manipulative thing It's not very successful, though. But eventually when both get tired of playing the game, one or the other really does end the thing and then you'll probably get something like Death showing up.

olivia1

I would say Death, for sure, would probably mean the end.

But the problem you're having is occurring because people break up a lot of times more to effect a change in the other person. It's a ploy, not a real ending. It's a manipulative thing It's not very successful, though. But eventually when both get tired of playing the game, one or the other really does end the thing and then you'll probably get something like Death showing up.

Oh! Thank you :) this helps a lot and now i know what to look for

Nikita_

which cards signify a permanent ending to a relationship? nine of pentacles? three of swords? world? 10 of swords? eight of cups? death?

my friend and I cannot figure it out. I keep seeing eight of cups in spreads I do for others yet somehow the ending doesnt end up being permanent. or are there not any cards signifying permanent endings because there are no absolutes? But isnt death or the end the only absolute in life? must the card come at the very end of the spread (in a three card no layout) or in the outcome position (celtic cross) for it to signify a permanent ending?

Death of course, and The World in my experience...

Nikita_

The 8 of cups is not an absolute ending, it's a disappointment and disillusionment that could very well be temporary...Death is the Death of anything, from real life to a relationship or a situation...when either that or the World come up, in my experience, there is so going back, unlike other cards-minor arcana, usually-that may or may not be the final word...

GoodnessGracious

What about 10 of Swords? Is that also a permanent end, like Death? I know that one of the 10 of Swords meanings are that whatever has been argued about is over and done, there's nothing more left to say. Does that mean that it's *completely* over and you will never speak to each other again, or does it mean that the specific discussion or argument is completely over?

GoodnessGracious

The 8 of cups is not an absolute ending, it's a disappointment and disillusionment that could very well be temporary...Death is the Death of anything, from real life to a relationship or a situation...when either that or the World come up, in my experience, there is so going back, unlike other cards-minor arcana, usually-that may or may not be the final word...

The way I see 8 of Cups (which I've learned from this forum) is that there is a need to move forward to something better, which also includes leaving someone behind... It could be because it didn't work out, it's turned out to be a disappointment, OR, maybe it's not even about *not* loving that person, it's just that you have a need to go after a new dream or calling. So, yes, with the 8 of Cups one will most likely walk away from the person.

However, just want to point out my own experience with the card. In the past when I asked about my ex, the 8 of Cups showed up more than once. So I took it as "Oh, he's moved on." But, he always came back. He hadn't moved on, not emotionally. So I'm not completely sure how to interpret the 8 of Cups.. I was the one who always left, so maybe it symbolized me leaving him, that's how he felt, or that he was *trying* to move on in that moment. Dunno...

Nikita_

What about 10 of Swords? Is that also a permanent end, like Death? I know that one of the 10 of Swords meanings are that whatever has been argued about is over and done, there's nothing more left to say. Does that mean that it's *completely* over and you will never speak to each other again, or does it mean that the specific discussion or argument is completely over?

I think it's the specific discussion or issue at hand....it's certainly about hitting rock bottom, but there is the possibility of picking up the pieces again....

Nikita_

The way I see 8 of Cups (which I've learned from this forum) is that there is a need to move forward to something better, which also includes leaving someone behind... It could be because it didn't work out, it's turned out to be a disappointment, OR, maybe it's not even about *not* loving that person, it's just that you have a need to go after a new dream or calling. So, yes, with the 8 of Cups one will most likely walk away from the person.

However, just want to point out my own experience with the card. In the past when I asked about my ex, the 8 of Cups showed up more than once. So I took it as "Oh, he's moved on." But, he always came back. He hadn't moved on, not emotionally. So I'm not completely sure how to interpret the 8 of Cups.. I was the one who always left, so maybe it symbolized me leaving him, that's how he felt, or that he was *trying* to move on in that moment. Dunno...

Certainly, the 8 of cups is one of those cards that, when it comes up, it's like a punch in the stomach to me...but I think you summed it up perfectly; it is certainly a need to move on because something turned out to be a let down, but it doesn't mean that you WILL indeed move on, at least emotionally...the example you gave about your ex is very fitting, I think.

olivia1

ohh that is a great way to look at it and i think you are right. a major would have more weight to it. I always feared the 8 cups. But from my experience and from what you are telling me, maybe its not the 8 cups that should necessarily be feared after all.