CopyRight Question

firecatpickles

Kahlie said:
... after an author's death, or the work has been out there for 70 years, it's apparently up in the free domain.

FYI, in the United States, it is 50 years... :)

KK
:THANG

Kahlie

kilts_knave said:
FYI, in the United States, it is 50 years... :)

KK

Worthwhile to know... but... my hoster is in Holland so I have to abide by Dutch law...

Kahlie

firecatpickles

Kahlie said:
Worthwhile to know... but... my hoster is in Holland so I have to abide by Dutch law...

Kahlie

:p

The issue of "for educational use" is cut-and-dried, no matter what anyone here says: Including Disney, who cannot make law. (They have the money to make someone's life miserable, so it is probably prudent not to use Disney characters in you tarot deck...) In classrooms, universities, daycare, etc. one can, for instance, record a Disney show from TV, as long as the teacher can tie it to the curriculum and use it in class. The tape must be destroyed within 45 days of the recording. Also, a snippet of a Disney book (up to 10%) may be used for educaitonal purposes -not here, not on your Website- in a classroom in a public school or university. Furthermore, an entire movie may be shown as long as the teacher hasn't rented the movie, but owns it, as long as the teacher can tie it to the curriculum. This should not be hot-button -this is the actual law. And we all know how closely tied school boards are with law: They are the law. I am not just making this stuff up. These rules come down from the School Board, through administration, to the teachers. Also, Mother is a librarian in a public school system in South Carolina, in which the federal statute is the same, and it is her job to know these things, which she confirms. Of course, this is the US. I am sure the laws are wholly different elsewhere.

KK