Deck Monogamy-Monotony?

greatdane

really enjoying the answers!

What everyone is posting makes total sense to me. I can see every viewpoint. I tend to just want to focus on so many decks. I do like some variety, just not excited about most decks that come out...thank goodness! I honestly don't know how readers buy four or five or more decks a month, much less a week. OK, some of you are rich, I get that :).

I'm glad I'm not only satisfied, but feel better, just having a limited amount. It makes it easier to concentrate on the ones I have. That doesn't mean there won't be some that catch my eye in 2011 that I get! I already have my eye on the Wildwood....

obeygravity

The only reason why I've ever gotten more tarot decks is because I get 'stuck' with my primary one. I feel like if I read too much with the same deck, it will eventually only read for me, and depending on what I've most used it for, it gets 'charged' to read specifically on that subject. Now, that may be because I've attached my own definitions and interpretations to specific cards because I've read on a given subject and identified them as such, but it is often times incredibly refreshing to get something new that will help you branch out a bit more. Right now I'm primarily reading with my legacy of divine deck, but I use my other decks to read for other people just because those images aren't so closely tied into other things. It just makes it easier for me to 'see' answers for other people with my other decks than with the legacy of divine deck.

greatdane

Big Difference, Obeygravity

I just read for myself, so a handful or so of decks seems to give me quite a bit of variety. If you read for others, I think that would be something entirely different. I can so see professional readers having a larger collection, just makes sense. I'm glad you added your perspective and thanks for explaining it so well.

GD

Herzog

I never thought readings would be as clear as the one's given by Bohemian Gothic... I was wrong. Then Deviant Moon... wrong again. Noblet? Dodal? I am currently working with Tarocchi di Marsiglia and the readings are crystal clear. Probably what's changed is my experience level but also a new deck like a new guitar can shake out the cob webs and inspire

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
I keep meaning to start a thread on why it is that we sometimes read better with the decks we have never used before. An antithesis to the IDS movement! Think about it; how many times have you got crystal clear readings from a deck you know nothing about, shuffled for the first time, where months of journalling might have led to paralysis!
Seems as though you've just done what you kept meaning to.

My most obvious story is one I have described somewhere here before: when I first received the Kunati Quantum on its release I was reading publicly, and I took the deck to work to study between-clients.

A client sat down. I said "Pick the artwork that you like the best." He glanced at the row of presented decks, glanced at the quantum on the table but close to me and not presented, and said "that one".

"But it's brand-new and I don't know it yet," I said. "I haven't ever read with it yet."

"No matter, I want that one."

So I said I couldn't guarantee the results, picked it up, got them to shuffle, and got started. And straight out of the box, not even thumbed-through, it gave a killer-reading! What a great deck.

In a more general sense, I believe it is *good* for us to use decks we're not so familiar with. It stretches us, it gets us to learn or to think in fresh ways, it encourages the formation of new neural connections in our brain, the benefits are many and valuable.

It's like a top-flight classical musician. You like Beethoven and Brahms. You can play everything of theirs sublimely, drawing tears from everyone who listens. You're not so great with Benjamin Britten or Prokofieff.

Sure, when you finish breakfast and go into your music room to practice, sure, playing Beethoven or Brahms might be *easy*. And offer anyone who listens to you a sublime experience. But is it sublime to you? Picking up a Prokofieff score, the musical language is entirely different. It stretches not only your mind, but your fingers. And when you finally lick that piece of music into shape enough to be able to go to rehearsals with the rest of the orchestra without being embarrassed, what a sense of accomplishment you feel!

Use your unused decks. I don't make new years resolutions, but a quiet thought in the back of my mind was that I was going to go through the huge wicker basket that contains my collection and turn it upside-down, with all the popular, frequently-used decks buried at the bottom and all those I haven't used for ages on the top, then only use the decks on top. That plan, of course, was stuffed from the moment, yesterday, when the Science Tarot arrived. Still, I can pick it up again, once I'm through this little flirtation. If we treat our older but unused decks as new arrivals, what a joy!

VGimlet

I had the same deck for 29 years.

Then I came here and started collecting.

I like to have a variety. I do read for others, and I like to give them choices.

I am also doing a project where I use every one of my decks for a week (excepting different editions of the same deck). I will finish in 2012, as long as I buy less than 52 full decks in the next two years. :p (I use 22 card decks and oracle decks in conjunction with the 78 card decks, otherwise it would have taken me a LOT longer, LOL.)

There are some decks in my collection that are flat for me. I might like the deck, but it doesn't resonate. Finding out which ones read well, and which ones don't has been a very interesting and sometimes surprising exercise. Yes, this includes my vintage and oop decks.

I started with the Aquarian, then went to the Universal, and now the Gilded is probably my main deck for reading for others, with the Thoth and Flornoy Noblet thrown in now and then. I do give people other alternatives though. I like having decks I can use that might resonate with someone when I read for them.

I like variety. i like how sometimes a new deck will click immediately, and other decks I feel like I need to spend more time with. (A future project.)

zan_chan

Le Fanu said:
Think about it; how many times have you got crystal clear readings from a deck you know nothing about, shuffled for the first time, where months of journalling might have led to paralysis!

Never, as far as I can remember, at least in terms of reading for myself. Maybe I have a form of tarot-OCD, but I simply don't trust, or even believe, readings with decks that aren't the Haindl. I think there are some pretty and some interesting decks out there (and thousands of hideous ones, too), but my interest in buying any of them has really faded to a minimum. I think that where a lot of people buy decks always hoping to find "el uno", I now occasionally buy a deck (like my recent flirtation with the Margarete Petersen) thinking that I might find my "Haindl-killer", but it never is, and I'm just about over the idea.

No, Hermann and I are extremely monogamous, but never monotonous, never dull. Every time I take him out of his black and yellow cotton bag, I'm just as re-delighted with him as I was the first time.

moderndayruth

Le Fanu said:
I keep meaning to start a thread on why it is that we sometimes read better with the decks we have never used before. An antithesis to the IDS movement! Think about it; how many times have you got crystal clear readings from a deck you know nothing about, shuffled for the first time, where months of journalling might have led to paralysis!
Haha, i also noticed that and i have my own non-scientific theory on that!!!
(Don't ask me how it happens, as i have no idea - but i noticed it!)
The more you read and play with one deck - the more it starts to reflect what you think anyway; i basically know in advance which cards my beloved RWS is going to give me...
After long meditating hours, i'd do experiments - when i feel totally calm and happy, i shuffle the deck and think 'give me the Sun', and it comes out, give me the Lovers, the Trump comes out... when i am upset i pull 5oS, 8oS etc...
It seems like an extension of me more or less...
As if somehow our own energy/aura or whatever it is called, with time, influences 'sinchronistically' the deck;
the newer and more unfamiliar the deck, the better are the chances i'll get the cards i don't expect.
(I mean, its not that weird after all, matter and energy are really different forms of the same thing. E = mc2 , no? ;))

eta for typos