Deck of the Dreamers 2010

EthanJamesPetty

Whew - been busy with work (3 projects at once), so my creativity has been a bit sapped. However, I did promise I'd make a card that should shock some people. I think this might be the one. Note that I'm still very early into the card - only the face/hand and some of the shoulders have been detailed. The rest is... well, blobby. I thought it might interest everyone to see how I work.

http://deckofthedreamers.com/v-the-hierophant/

HOLMES

aye

hail ethan,

firt thing i would do is put some colour on the two head for the heieorphant looks like has six hands and big feet.

since you are going for a new interesting take on the heirophant, why not change the two boys to soemthing

looking at the gate,, you could have instead of two boys,, a brunch of people walking down that grey gateway,
ohh and two angels could stand behind him.. i do think the yellow light should be shining bright in his heart.

but great work,, now to let you create :)

rwcarter

EthanJamesPetty said:
However, I did promise I'd make a card that should shock some people. I think this might be the one.
Doesn't shock me! I love it!!!!! The two hands on the Hierophant's left that are near one another almost look like one deformed blob instead of separate hands. But I know it's a work in progress.

Tell those people at work to leave you alone because you have a tarot deck that people are waiting for you to finish! :laugh:

Rodney

EthanJamesPetty

Gah, I failed! I need to try harder next time. 12 arms?!

Holmes - I definitely will have a glow on the heart, it will actually have some sort of "gate" on it too if I can get it to look good that tiny. For the two boys in front, the reason they come last is because they are in front. Now that you've pointed out that they look like feet, I'll never unsee it unless I make them invisible while I work! :)

rw - The hands do look horribly blobby, but it's the process I use. It's slow and ugly, but gives me a quick overview of the whole picture. Think of it more like sculpting than painting. I start with a giant glob of color and then mold a shape out of it with burn and dodge. I don't know how I ended up working this way (self taught), but the end result usually works out. Those two hands will have quite a bit of highlight/shadow to make sure they look separate even on a small card, I promise!

SakuraFae

EthanJamesPetty said:
Whew - been busy with work (3 projects at once), so my creativity has been a bit sapped. However, I did promise I'd make a card that should shock some people. I think this might be the one. Note that I'm still very early into the card - only the face/hand and some of the shoulders have been detailed. The rest is... well, blobby. I thought it might interest everyone to see how I work.

http://deckofthedreamers.com/v-the-hierophant/

Very interesting indeed. I had to look and read twice to get the depth.. love those cards with lots to read into. :D