DECK OF THE MONTH - AUGUST sign up thread

Essjay

Tyldwick Tarot week 2

I must admit I didn't know my sun or moon cards coming into this exercise. My sun card is The Emperor and my moon Strength.

These two cards are scarily accurate. The Emperor depicts a bust of a man looking slightly roman with two globes on an ornate wooden desk, one of those ones that looks as if it has a million hidden draws. What drew my eye though were the scores of books behind that desk. This is very much me. I work in a library and I have books all over the place in my home. Seriously, we've no more space for extra shelving. It's a very serious card and I suppose I can come across that way when you first meet me. However, if you take a closer look at my books they're mostly children's ones with the odd bit of mythology and some classics thrown in so I'm wondering if this Emperor is as intimidating as he looks too. There's a definite wall up in this card as if the desk is supposed to keep people out.

The strength card is beautiful, it shows a wren sitting by the side of a still pond. The water is green and mysterious looking and across from it is a stone lions head. It looks forbidding but of course it's not real. The wren seems to know that as it's not scared at all. The brickwork is cracked and crumbling with plants growing here and there. I suppose my first thought on looking at this card is, "Still waters run deep." Also, we have a family of wrens in our garden who I love. I'd never seen one before in real life until we moved here and I love my occasional sightings.

The two cards seem to have a connection which is first appearances can be deceptive. Sometimes things aren't as scary as you thought if you scrape away a bit of moss and look deeper! Also, nothing is what it first appears. I hope those things apply to me anyway!

I love this deck more and more. I am totally smitten by it.

Eta: I've put my planet spread reading in our readings thread.

Kathy123

Essjay!!! Way to Go!!! Congrats on both the Sun/Moon signs and tackling the plant spread.

Grayce

Shadowscapes

It's already the 2nd week of August?! How did that happen. Anyway, I'm going to jump in with my Shadowscapes deck. It's my second deck and the first one I've really connected with, but it's still very new to me so I would love to explore it. Incredibly, I had already done the interview with my deck last week, so I'll post those results from my journal and move on to the next exercise. :)

Essjay

Essjay!!! Way to Go!!! Congrats on both the Sun/Moon signs and tackling the plant spread.

Thank you! Seriously, I think that might be the largest spread I've ever tackled. It was okay, not as daunting as I expected it to be :D

Kathy123

It's already the 2nd week of August?! How did that happen. Anyway, I'm going to jump in with my Shadowscapes deck. It's my second deck and the first one I've really connected with, but it's still very new to me so I would love to explore it. Incredibly, I had already done the interview with my deck last week, so I'll post those results from my journal and move on to the next exercise. :)

Welcome Grayce!!! Great to have you here!!!

misteddreamrose

I'd like to join in with my Dragon Tarot deck by Peter Pracownik.

I don't have much of a ritual for new decks. I just take them out of the box and I look at them. If I want to do a reading, I shuffle the cards and go. I'm still fairly new, though I've been using my Dragon deck for almost 6 years, I haven't been overly serious with it. I just took the definitions provided and went with it that way. Now, though, I'm wanting to actually know how to read the spreads as a whole and not just individual cards in the spread.

I'm going to try this zodiac spread, because, well, my Dragon tarot feels energized to try it, even though I'm not sure how my own skill set will go with this.

My sun card is the Lovers and my moon card is the Hermit.

The Lovers card in the Dragon tarot, I think, is beautiful. It's an image of two dragons intertwining in a nuptial flight. Each one is holding the heart of his/her partner. Above them is a yin yang. Right off, this card signifies passion to me (and I can be a very passionate individual), and while one dragon is a little higher than the other, I view it as creating a challenge, but in a good way. Like friendly competition, something that brings out the best in you because it makes you try harder. The female lower than the male dragon also makes me think willing submission. I'm a dominant person, so if I submit to a situation or a person, it's only because I feel that person is or situation is worthy of my submission. Lastly, this card makes me think of balance and how the obstacles you come across every day forces you to work to overcome said obstacles and maintain a balance with yourself and your surroundings. Right now, at this stage of my life, I am looking for that kind of balance.

The Hermit card is really interesting, here. It's a dragon sitting atop a hill, holding a lantern with a Star of David decorating it. Right away, there is a connection to this card because I am Jewish. Besides the initial religious affiliation, my first feeling towards this card is illumination. The dragon looks kind enough. He looks gentle and I feel safe with this card. I feel like the dragon can illuminate my way and guide me through the dark times. He also has what looks like a compass tool, further exuding this idea of direction. And while the Hermit card typically means isolation, I do not feel that way when I look at this card; however, I have been feeling loneliness frequently over the last few months, but this card makes me believe that I am safe and able to find my way to creating inner peace.

At first, these cards seem completely unrelated because one card is about togetherness and unity while the other is about standing on your own. But now, looking at how they make me feel, I realize these cards may very well be opposite sides where one cannot exist without the other. Only by standing on your own, are you able to stand with someone or something else. In order to create balance, you need to be able to light your own way and know what you want.

Huh... This seems like a lesson I've been trying to learn. A tad frightening that these two cards, tied to my sun and moon signs, are telling me this.

Kathy123

I'd like to join in with my Dragon Tarot deck by Peter Pracownik.

Welcome! Welcome!!! It is a good day today.... Great to see the sun and moon cards tying into people's personalities!!!

misteddreamrose

Well, I just did the zodiac spread. And shortly after laying out the cards and recording them in my journal, what happens? My kitten hops up onto my bed and lays in the center. She didn't really disturb the cards too much. Anyway, I'm going to post this in the "Your Readings" forum.

Here's my kitten in the middle of my spread if you're interested:
http://tinypic.com/r/25p4mlw/5

Kathy123

Well, I just did the zodiac spread. And shortly after laying out the cards and recording them in my journal, what happens? My kitten hops up onto my bed and lays in the center. She didn't really disturb the cards too much. Anyway, I'm going to post this in the "Your Readings" forum.

Here's my kitten in the middle of my spread if you're interested:
http://tinypic.com/r/25p4mlw/5

She is so cute... I thought you were going to tell me she "had an accident", as conurelover ran into earlier :)