Disney's "Haunted Mansion" had Tarot cards

Alissa

... in it for about *theeees* long, anyone else see it yet?

The movie, unfortunately, was a stinker - I don't recommend it unless you're going to the dollar movies. But, one of my earliest childhood memories was Disneyworld's Haunted Mansion (horrifying to a 6 year old ... scarred me for life ... I still remember portions VIVIDLY I was so scared....) And it seemed a good way to spend some time with family who were visiting.

Tarot makes several brief appearances in the flick; first, at the top of the movie during credits, we see images of RWS cards fluttering down. The best part here is the effect they use ... to illustrate the coming plot, we see the woman in the Lovers card turn into a skeleton. Then, the Death card ... already a skeleton, but his horse turns to bones beneath him. Seems like about 3 or 4 more cards fluttered past, and I've forgotten them now (3 swords seems right....)

Really cool effect, maybe the best part of the entire 2 hours....

And later we see them pop up briefly in context to "Madame Lenora" ... played by one of the Tilly sisters (Meg? can't remember which). What? You don't remember Madame Lenora? She's the green, glowing head inside the crystal ball who speaks to you as you're on the ride. In the movie, she provides the necessary clues for Eddie Murphy and kids to solve the mystery of the haunting. And, she provides comic relief.

Anyhow, Tarot in a Disney movie ... have we seen everything yet?

skytwig

And sadly, the last of the Disney family is stepping down from the Board at Disney..... Eisner won't leave and so Roy Disney is leaving instead, selling his shares.....

Tallarico

Alissa,

I remember that Haunted Mansion ride as a kid!! Maybe I was 11 or so. I thought it was great. I'll never forget those ghosts that "sat" on you lap as you rode through! I often think of that.

I think this is the beginning of Tarot becoming more mainstream. More and more of it will appear in media.

rota

<"Haunted Mansion" ... good, bad or indifferent, I?ll be seeing this movie, once it comes to the discount theaters in town. And judging by the reviews above, it?ll be a week or two. (Eddie Murphy has been sucking ever since "Golden Child"...)
Still, it?s based on a childhood fave. This ride is my favorite at DizWorld and DizLand. Even
And if it has tarot in it (somewhere), all the better.

LadyMedusa

Could they be from the 36 card promo deck that was released by Disney a few years ago?

LadyMedusa

Alissa

Quote:Originally posted by Tallarico
I'll never forget those ghosts that "sat" on you lap as you rode through! I often think of that.

I think this is the beginning of Tarot becoming more mainstream. More and more of it will appear in media. Yup! And Disney works the ghosts into the movie as well, I was tickled pink to see them show up onscreen.

I've said in a previous thread months ago that Tarot is going to be more and more accepted in the coming decade for sure. If it's already mainstream enough for *Disney* to go "out on a limb" and use....

Quote:posted by rota
This ride is my favorite at DizWorld and DizLand. Even
And if it has tarot in it (somewhere), all the better.
:D I rode it again at Disneyworld when I was about 17, and it brought back such wonderful memories. My favorite parts now are when you go into the Library and those big spooky portraits start to "grow," and like Tallarico said, the ghosts who ride with you in your carriage.

rota, you'll enjoy it still I'm sure. The special effects with the ghosts make nice eye candy to keep you going when the plot turns sappy (it IS written for a kid audience, after all).

On an aside...

Speaking of Hollywood's formally taboo subjects, I found it interesting to see how the interracial love attraction in the movie was portrayed (very well, btw). I remember thinking, while watching it, 'Wow ... we've come a long way. Disney's got interracial love, AND Tarot cards in this, and it's for KIDS.'

(Does anyone else remember how only 30 short years ago, Star Trek was the first television show to break the interracial love attraction barrier with the episode in which Uhura and Kirk "kiss"? It was a big big thing ... I think it's "Plato's Stepchildren" if I remember the episode's name correctly without going to hunt it down.

But if you look closely at the scene, where both are controlled by aliens and made to "perform" for them, Uhura and Kirk's lips don't *quite* meet. The network was only willing to go so far, you see....)

Yami Yugi

Tarot IS becoming more mainstream. With the fact that there so many goth teens out there [i'm not one but when i lived in virginia as a kid we threw water baloons at them to see if the make-up would wash off. haha] anyway because of this more people are becoming accepting of this as part of pop culture. It's strange, yes i know, but the oddballs are in fact the ones who influence future trends. Ok i'm stopping now because i'm sick of listening to my psychological views on things.

raeanne

Quote:Originally posted by Yami Yugi
With the fact that there so many goth teens out there [i'm not one but when i lived in virginia as a kid we threw water baloons at them to see if the make-up would wash off. haha]

My son was a goth teen and he had stuff thrown at him all the time. I can't tell you the number of times he came to me to ask why people would be so mean and hateful. I never had an answer for him. So, tell me, why did you do this?

Yami Yugi

I told you. I was a very young and foolish child back then. there are also ignorant people. They have seen scary movies and are not really accepting, In fact come to think of it were not so different from european people from the middle ages sometimes.

Indigo Rose

Quote:Originally posted by Alissa

On an aside...

Speaking of Hollywood's formally taboo subjects, I found it interesting to see how the interracial love attraction in the movie was portrayed (very well, btw). I remember thinking, while watching it, 'Wow ... we've come a long way. Disney's got interracial love, AND Tarot cards in this, and it's for KIDS.'

(Does anyone else remember how only 30 short years ago, Star Trek was the first television show to break the interracial love attraction barrier with the episode in which Uhura and Kirk "kiss"? It was a big big thing ... I think it's "Plato's Stepchildren" if I remember the episode's name correctly without going to hunt it down.

see....) [/b]

I SAY IT IS ABOUT TIME!! I am in an interracial marriage. My husband is my best friend in the world. I have never known a love like this, or a bond as deep. I am glad to see Disney opening the door to both Tarot and interracial relationships. Here is to the evolution of humanity. :)