Do you keep your deck with you, or leave it at home?

SunChariot

I am a solitary wiccan/witch/pagan. I use tarot for personal inspiration and meditation. I've never done a reading for anyone and it is unlikely that I ever will.

However, I'm torn between two possible practices with my tarot decks.

Sometimes I take my favorite tarot deck everywhere, so I can develop a connection. However, this also makes it more possible that I lose it.

Other times keep it home on my altar where it is safe and surrounded by supportive tools, crystald and herbs. Plus, the altar is where I do my daily draws. Then I can take an alternate deck around with me.

What do you do?

I've been reading a while, and things changed over time.

Right now where I am I leave all my decks at home. I do however have a deck or two on my cell phone if I feel I need to ask something quickly. Although I prefer a real deck, they work in a pinch.

When I was just starting out though, what I did at first is I bought a duplicate copy of my deck. For the first 8 months or so I used only 1 deck, the Haindl Tarot. SO what I did was I bought myself a duplicate of it. One deck was to stay at home. The other I kept in my purse and carried it everywhere. It helped me learn. I pulled it out at breaks and lunchtime at work. And it helped me bond more with the deck.

That worked very well for me. One was my real deck, I though of the other as a learning/practice deck. The second showed me a few little miracles too, as Tarot can do.

Babs

peaceablepaths

I carry the centennial Pamela Smith deck in a tin. I found a sweet little pouch at Ten Thousand Villages that fits the tin perfectly. I carry that in my tote bag.

Edward Tarot Hands

I keep a Morgan Greer pocket size in a tin in my bag pretty much all the time. The tin is brilliant, no battered box and bent cards :)

Wow cool! I love The Morgan Greer deck, but I have a full size one so it's not really practical, seeing as I'm a man and don't usually carry a handbag (no sexism intended)

I may have to invest in a mini one

CharlotteK

Wow cool! I love The Morgan Greer deck, but I have a full size one so it's not really practical, seeing as I'm a man and don't usually carry a handbag (no sexism intended)

I may have to invest in a mini one
It works really well in small size as the images are bold, bright and it doesn't have much by way of tiny details. It's my travel deck now and goes everywhere.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Barleywine

I pressed a tough nylon men's toiletry bag into service as a deck carrier, and just toss it in the back seat of my pick-up when I think I might need a deck along. It's also how I carry everything to my reading sessions: 4 or 5 decks, digital timer, reading glasses, digital camera if I want to save a spread, pad and pen, etc.

nisaba

I have scores of decks. I leave most at home. If I leave the house at all, I'll have a minimum of two with me, the two which live permanently in my handbag. When I'm leaving to go and do readings somewhere else, I'll have a minimum of five with me.

Tanga

I am a solitary wiccan/witch/pagan. I use tarot for personal inspiration and meditation. I've never done a reading for anyone and it is unlikely that I ever will.

However, I'm torn between two possible practices with my tarot decks.

Sometimes I take my favorite tarot deck everywhere, so I can develop a connection. However, this also makes it more possible that I lose it.

Other times keep it home on my altar where it is safe and surrounded by supportive tools, crystald and herbs. Plus, the altar is where I do my daily draws. Then I can take an alternate deck around with me.

What do you do?

Ditto the very first bit.
You could have a "travel" copy?

I do read for others.
And I have copies of some of my favourite reading decks - so that I have a "travel" copy, and one that never leaves the house.

I take a deck with me when I have a strong feeling that I'd like to carry one.
Or - If I'm likely to be somewhere where I might read - I take a couple of decks (the flavours of the moment).
My "deck carrier" is some form of pretty drawstring bag (I have several sizes to hold different numbers of decks).
I very rarely loose things - and if I know I'm likely to (say, if I've been feeling unwell or very tired, and know that my attention isn't at it's sharpest) - then I won't carry one.
I do have a number of Tarot Apps on my mobile - so that I always have Tarot with me where-ever I am. This has solved the problem of wishing to study Tarot, but not wishing to lug heavy books or fiddle with a deck in a crowded train scenario.

Darkmage

I'm a collector, so if I carried my collection with me, I'd need porters and one of those luggage carts for the storage boxes. :/

I keep my miniature RWS in my purse at all times. I just replaced my beaten up one with a new copy last week. If someone wants me to read for them with a different deck, I'll bring one. Otherwise, they get mini RWS.

euripides

What an interesting question. There's a real tension between wanting to tote around your companion deck and not wanting to lose it. I'm in some journaling/planner groups, and there's a similar issue with carrying around a diary: it's a tool, but it's also personal.

If the deck gets invested with a *lot* of personal meaning, I'd leave it at home. My Spiral Tarot was my first deck and I'm immensely sentimental about it. So, while it'd be nice to have it as a companion - especially on a major trip - I want it to be safe and sound.

Better, I think, to have a specific 'traveling companion' deck in an edition one is fond of, but whose loss wouldn't be actually heartbreaking.

I'd happily carry a Tarot around here, but if I were traveling abroad, I'd take a regular deck of playing cards. (and not even those, to some countries. Yay for apps.)

toadwytch

I only have one deck of tarot cards and they go with me everywhere. My girlfriend likes to pull them out of my purse when we go out and try to get me to read for friends. The box is big enough that I've never even worried about losing them. I also carry a smaller deck of hwatu cards. I rarely use either away from home and I'm a pretty casual reader, but some of my most dearly remembered readings were done idly on park benches waiting for friends or my lunch break at work. Carrying them with me and feeling my fingers brush the box when I reach for my wallet or chapstick is important to me.

ETA that I have a small purse, so I'd know immediately if they weren't in there.