Effect of BREXIT on Tarot collecting

JoLister

I really don't want to be boring, or start a debate on whether the UK should leave or remain in the EU, I'm really only interested in opinions or information about what may happen if Britain leaves the EU in terms of being a collector. For example postage rates could increase? Would we suddenly have to expect possible customs charges too, like with decks that come from the US? Would European deck publishers charge more, or more likely would UK book sellers have increased costs to pass on?
Interested to know what you think, it could of course sway my vote!!

DDwarks

EU countries benefit from EU rates for imports/ export, negotiated in Brussels with "the rest of the world".
When we should have seen a decrease in prices when joining the EU, governments kept the prices at our level the same and profited on the difference.
Leaving the EU stops us from benefits from those economic deals so yes, getting the same stuff will be more expensive for us as I can't imagine the government taking a cut on their profit!

JoLister

Thanks DDwarks, pretty much what I feared!

Beanfeasa

It will also have an effect on us in roi. Some decks are only available from the uk. So we will have excise duties as well as shipping costs to worry about. Unless we make a trade agreement like we had before eu. Ireland and uk did have a customs and excise/vat agreement in the past. Maybe suppliers could probably use northern ireland as a uk base. But will free trade and work practises still stand. I dont understand the half of it anyway.

JoLister

I think it's very much one of those situations where we won't know what the implications are until afterwards. Whichever way the vote goes there will probably be changes anyway...

gregory

The killer will be customs duty and VAT - not only that, but the extra 8 quid the post office charges to collect these fees.

IF we got a Norway deal that MIGHT not happen (I'm not sure how they deal with import duties) - but if we got a Norway deal, everything else would stay as it is too but without the UK having ANY say in anything, so I can't see why Brexiters want such a thing.

I don't think the EU affected prices at all, only not having to pay as much in duties. What affected prices was the UK not joining the euro - and we never will, so that is moot - and the fact that everyone has realised we are a kind of captive market and they CAN charge heaps Look how much cheaper computers etc are almost everywhere else (just bought one in Canada - it would have cost me 50% more in the UK.)

MANY things are HEAPS cheaper across the channel - notably cars; that's why people physically cross the channel to buy them. And alcohol. All that will end, too - and the same applies to our decks. But MOST upset about the 8 quid thing :mad: As a Lo Scarabeo freak, I am seriously upset about this. Royal Mail is going to make a fortune.

earthair

If we leave it looks like we'll lose our credit rating, Osborne will budget-cut the country further into the grave, we will all be poorer so I won't be able to buy lots of decks, which might be a good thing given my current lack of storage. So yes, Brexit would be a disaster for my collecting, but good for space in my house.

Scarlet Woodland

Plus there's the falling pound factor... the market really doesn't like change or uncertainty so we'll be paying a lot more for our decks anyway. Got rinsed on the exchange rate for a big US order this week but figured I'd better get it in sooner rather than later. If I'd waited another couple weeks like I'd planned to and the UK voted for brexit; I shudder to think what I'd have paid :bugeyed:

gregory

SO has Irish nationality. If this cometh to pass, we shall be opening Euro accounts in Dublin...

gregory

I forgot one aspect - as I ordered a deck today (the pound is already falling) - they will cost more because of that. A small currency without the backup of a trading union - very insecure... Remember when Soutras (was that his name ?) deliberately destablised it just to show that it could so easily be done ?