Flotsam and Jetsam Divination Kits! The Sirens of Oosa

Cat*

NorthernTigress said:
A 50 pfennig coin from Germany (one side shows a woman harvesting)

Edit: Just went online and found out the woman is PLANTING an oak sapling
Oh, these are the old German coins, from before we got the Euro. :) So that coin is practically ANCIENT, too. ;) (Okay, not really ancient, but not in use anymore.)

Apollonia

Cat* said:
Oh, these are the old German coins, from before we got the Euro. :) So that coin is practically ANCIENT, too. ;) (Okay, not really ancient, but not in use anymore.)

Yes, I had saved it from my time in Germany way back in 1975, so it (like me) is indeed pretty darn old!

stefficus

got my shamoness package yesterday on my way out - all! sorts! of stuff! mostly tiny, which is great for splitting oracles, which i will probably have to do. and the spread cloth rocks!! some of the symbols that are included are just soooo evocative for me.

(the utterly rockin' tarot of the metamorphosis from the trade train was in there, too. *hugs it* thank you!)

NorthernTigress

Sometimes I just hate being Canadian. And it's usually when I'm waiting for mail. Everyone else is almost finished, while I'm still missing 4. sigh.

I'm trying to make sure that the update list is correct. From what I've figured out, I'm missing 4 packages, Apollonia is missing 2 and Kaleanna is missing 1.

NorthernTigress

Apollonia said:
Yes, I had saved it from my time in Germany way back in 1975, so it (like me) is indeed pretty darn old!

The numbers are getting worn down. Both my husband and I looked at it, and it's either 1949 or 1969.

Cat*

NorthernTigress said:
The numbers are getting worn down. Both my husband and I looked at it, and it's either 1949 or 1969.
I got curious about this coin and looked up some more details, which I'm now sharing with you. :)

If it says "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" around the edge, it is from 1969. If it says "Bank deutscher Länder" it's from 1949.

The woman on the coin is Gerda Johanna "Jo" Werner, a painter and art teacher whose sculptor husband Richard Martin Werner submitted his drawing of her for the design contest for the coin. The image was originally a nude, but he added clothing and the headscarf for the contest. Ms Werner was pregnant at the time of the drawing. Here's an image of the coin. And here's the woman, many years after she modeled for the image.

The coin image was meant to symbolize and honor the German "Trümmerfrauen" as well as the female reforestation workers. The Trümmerfrauen ("rubble women") were women who cleaned up the debris after WW2 and did major reconstruction work (because so many German men were either dead or prisoners of war).

The 50 Pfennig coin is also the only German regular issue coin that ever showed a woman.

I believe there's a ton of potential oracle meanings in there (on top of every other you might already have come up with yourself). :)

NorthernTigress

Cat* said:
I got curious about this coin and looked up some more details, which I'm now sharing with you. :)

If it says "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" around the edge, it is from 1969. If it says "Bank deutscher Länder" it's from 1949.

The woman on the coin is Gerda Johanna "Jo" Werner, a painter and art teacher whose sculptor husband Richard Martin Werner submitted his drawing of her for the design contest for the coin. The image was originally a nude, but he added clothing and the headscarf for the contest. Ms Werner was pregnant at the time of the drawing. Here's an image of the coin. And here's the woman, many years after she modeled for the image.

The coin image was meant to symbolize and honor the German "Trümmerfrauen" as well as the female reforestation workers. The Trümmerfrauen ("rubble women") were women who cleaned up the debris after WW2 and did major reconstruction work (because so many German men were either dead or prisoners of war).

The 50 Pfennig coin is also the only German regular issue coin that ever showed a woman.

I believe there's a ton of potential oracle meanings in there (on top of every other you might already have come up with yourself). :)

Cool! It's definitely a "Bank Deutcher Lander". I love the background information. As you said, lots of potential meanings. Thanks! :)

Apollonia

I received my package from shamoness yesterday, but didn’t have a chance to really look at the items until just now. What a treasure trove!

Here’s what I received: a sea sponge (never had one of those!), seashells, brain coral (amazing), sea glass, a coin from an Indian dress, a moon bead and a green spiral bead from a goddess necklace, a tiny clay bird from Peru, a mask charm (I’m already thinking about the divinatory meanings of a mask), a moon charm, a tiny hand with a heart carved out, a bell pepper bead, a fish bead, a cat’s-eye marble, a green leaf bead, a pearl bead, a crystal heart, a bone hair pipe from shamoness’s wedding necklace (!), a moon w/star charm, star beads, a brass bead, a shell bead and a lava rock from her ritual fire pit!!!!!

All this, plus a beautiful throwing cloth. Thank you, shamoness—I am in awe of your generosity, and also of your crafting skills!

kaleanna

Hey Ladies, have any of you read with your kits yet? I have been trying to get to know my kit but am a bit apprehensive to try any readings yet cause not sure that I would be any good at it, LOL. I know that I should just get over that fear right? Well I hope in the next few days I will be ready to try a reading.

ETA: I got some really cute buttons to go in my kit as well. Some of the buttons include a castle, an ice cream cone, a flip flop just to name a few of the buttons

NorthernTigress

Yay! I got another parcel today. It's from Kaleanna. What a lovely little pile of treasures.

• a little toy tiger (white!)
  • a little toy leopard
  • a metal button with a coat-of-arms on it
  • a tiny toy suitcase
  • a tiny flat seashell about the size of my thumbnail
  • a piece of snowflake obsidian shaped into a cube
  • a plastic prism the shape of an egg/teardrop
  • a little square of fabric that looks like leather on one side (leopard print for the win!) and has woven squiggly lines on the other side
  • a lime-green stone (lumpy!)
  • a purple stone
  • a reddish/pinkish stone
  • a bit of jewelry that is a wavy piece of metal, with other metal bits, and a plastic "gem" attached
  • a plastic bit of jewelry that is oval with a large hole in the center. Lots of colors and a bumpy texture

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! :D