Game of Hope Lenormand

burattina

I've noticed from experience that the study group over there on FB can be very quick to jump on people. I just recently joined because someone there emailed me and told me that my deck that I just released was a topic of conversation. Someone in the group first asked, whose deck is this? Wondering if it was someone from the group? I was not a part of the group then (like I said I just joined, last week). Someone then began saying that I was using a celebrity image that was ILLEGAL to use, my Albert Einstein man. And a deep discussion broke out about it. Luckily I joined in time to explain myself!

I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT....some people can be very quick at jumping at people...and some people can be very touchy and competitive...but I think like everywhere else...there are hot headed elements everywhere... it can be very annoying...but fortunately not everybody is like that...
and I don't think it was just a coincidence that I joined the group on facebook the same day I bought your deck...one week later, I was in the right place at the right time to let you know they were talking about your deck...I thought it was a really, really strange SINCRONICITY!!!
:)

I think the lady who was insisting with her comments on your deck is truly just obsessed with copyrights and didn't realize it was getting heavy and not very correct (she could have asked you in private)...and it could have been very bad publicity for you, especially because without reasons.
It was tough but you dealt with the issue very well!

there are few difficult elements in the group and I think that shows more on facebook that here....but the admin in the group can be very good at intervening.
Yesterday they promptly intervened and dealt with a very problematic lady who was becoming offensive.
I am new to all this world (sharing about tarots and lennies) which is mainly american ( It is difficult to find such a vast equivalent in my country)....on one hand I find it truly fascinating, on the other hand...really strange :-D

I have been thinking for a while, as an artist, to design my own deck...I confess that now I am worried about the whole process of public feedback and comments... ;-)

Nina*

(she could have asked you in private)

Yes, that would have been the nice way to do it.

I didn't order her Tag_jorrit's Game of Hope yet, but I just received her Purple Dragon Dondorf and it's just fabulous. Highly recommended.

I do have the TP Game of Hope, two copies, and really like them. But I too would like Tag_jorrit's edition since I love the whiter background (and my TP ones are the greenies).

DownUnderNZer

Gonna have to compare online....gee whiz!

Remake of the original or not I want cards that are not in the middle of a war.zone or heated debate.

If there was a Hannibal or Bates Lenormand it might be friendlier....

In 100 years it will be the One Minute Lenormands turn next or another original being just as equally under fire if this is anything to go by....:(

gregory

Gonna have to compare online....gee whiz!

Remake of the original or not I want cards that are not in the middle of a war.zone or heated debate.
Buy whichever you like and damn all those who are fighting over them :D

tarot heart said:
Either you made numerous minor changes or you remained true to the original images. Which is it???
Any restoration involves changes. And I've seen his and it does look pretty true to the images from the BM we can see on line.

As does tag's - in different ways. If you've seen the latest Visconti repro deck out there - that too looks different but the same.

The brown marks referred to as "deliberate aging" weren't added by either of them, though. That's what happens to old paper. And they PROBABLY weren't there when the cards were brand new. Just as some of my old books have developed some even since I bought them - and even some newer books from the 50s. It's called foxing. You can see quite a few on the BM's images.

tarot heart

Buy whichever you like and damn all those who are fighting over them :D

Any restoration involves changes. And I've seen his and it does look pretty true to the images from the BM we can see on line.

Actually, Ciro is not claiming this is a restoration. And, sorry to disagree, but I do not think the Tarot Professionals deck looks anything like the original shown on the British Museum website. It has been significantly more aged. That's why Gamecrafter's had a hard time with the coloring and the result was the greenish tint. :)

ETA: In fact under the caption of the picture of the cards on Tarot Town it specifically says the backs were "antiquated" and as far as I can tell so were the fronts. See for yourself:

http://www.tarotprofessionals.com/originallenormand.html

Debra

The brown marks referred to as "deliberate aging" weren't added by either of them, though. That's what happens to old paper. And they PROBABLY weren't there when the cards were brand new. Just as some of my old books have developed some even since I bought them - and even some newer books from the 50s. It's called foxing. You can see quite a few on the BM's images.

Foxing is not the same as fingerprints. The old decks I have, you can see how the cards were held in the hand. The look of oil and dirt from fingers is different from the brown spots you refer to.

Here's a discussion of "foxing" from a conservation firm. The dictionary of conservation terms says essentially the same thing. http://www.lowyonline.com/conservation/foxing.php and http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt1434.html

What is Foxing?

The term originated in 1848 and refers to scattered spots that are often reddish-brown (the color of a fox) on the surface of paper. According to Vlad Papov, Lowy’s paper conservator, there are two major causes of foxing: Fungal Activity: Microorganisms found in the raw materials used to create paper can remain latent for years awaiting appropriate conditions for growth. Airborne spores can attach themselves to the paper, creating colonies of foxing. Metal-induced degradation: Metal impurities in paper resulting from particles abraded from pulpmaking equipment can cause a chemical reaction that results in foxing. There are two different kinds of foxing: "Bulls eye" spots are small and round with two concentric rings. "Snowflake" spots, which got their name from their appearance under UV light, have scalloped edges and are much larger but are faint and usually cannot be seen with the naked eye. Exposure to high levels of humidity for long periods of time and proximity to a poor quality, acidic support can also accelerate foxing. If the humidity of paper rises above about 70% for an extended period (which is easy to imagine in a poorly ventilated cellar or attic) fungal growth will be stimulated and foxing will almost certainly occur. And if the artwork is also housed in an acidic cardboard mat, foxing can be even worse. "The good news," says Vlad, "is that foxing can usually be removed using a treatment of chloroxidation chemicals."

Le Fanu

Tag_jorrit; a quick question that might make a diffence to things r.e orders; are you in the US?

gregory

Fair enough. Some of the marks COULD be foxing - cards are paper - but whatever - old things do generally have marks, and neither creator here seems to have ADDED them to "deliberately age" anything.

tarot heart said:
In fact under the caption of the picture of the cards on Tarot Town it specifically says the backs were "antiquated" and as far as I can tell so were the fronts. See for yourself:

Yes - Ciro created the backs for that deck, so he had to do something to make them appear other than brand new. You were suggesting he artificially aged the fronts. I own the TP deck - and whatever else, they don't appear to have been artificially aged. I haven't seen Tag's decks in the flesh, and I would never judge a deck by what you can see on line. Because what you see on a screen is NOT what you see when you hold the actual thing in real life. Have you seen a copy ? (Mine IS one of the "greenish" ones - and it isn't very green at all.)

As to gamecrafter - I don't know how many of their decks you have seen, but I have quite a few where their palette was way off and the artist was upset. There are MANY threads about that. I can't see the relevance of bringing it up.

We now know both decks are legit. Which anyone prefers is up to them. There's not a lot of point labouring this among ourselves - or speculating on whose feelings are hurt or not.

gregory

That is a lovely back, yes.