Game of Hope Lenormand

starlightexp

that girl knows how to make a card back... very nice

gregory

One more clarification, its not cirom's version in any possessive sense. I do not sell this deck and have never sold them or had any financial involvement whatsoever. The work I did was on voluntary basis.

Sorry - it was just a quick and dirty identifier - tag's and cirom's ! I did know that. But TP did credit your work, at least when advertising it and talking about it at TarotCon - that's partly how I knew you did it ! (the other part involved Greek food... ;))

cirom

Tarot heart, it would have been quite acceptable to print the images exactly as they are from the BM and leaving a white unprinted area around them. Many if not most decks have a white border. And leaving any irregularities and cropping could have been justified as part of its historical authenticity. The decision to add bleed was an optional decision.....that apparently both parties chose to do. It was not a specification from the printer.

As for my comment about the physical impossibility that the deck would have looked like the cleaned up version. I stand by that statement, it's more than my opinion its based on familiarity with today's digital media and print procedures and limitations of earlier times. It wasn't intended as a put down, just a fact... This is my profession, plus I taught this subject as a professor at the Art institute.

Tag_jorrit

Card Comparisons

I have looked at the British Museum's photo of the card collection and compared some of the TP cards that Ciro made with the same ones I made. I noticed lots of minor differences on the cards that I compared.

I still was only able to find a few whole cards of his online, but one of the most obvious differences, aside from the edge treatments on the cards, is the fact that the central symbol/images on the Lady, Gentleman, and Ship are smaller on Ciro's cards. I did not alter the central element's size so the Ship, Lady and Gentleman's sizes remain unchanged.

And I did not bleed the image to the edges. Instead of having a white border beyond the black line that encloses the image of each card (a black border enclosed each original image, if you notice on the original British Museum image) I created a background out of the colors on the open space from the faces of the cards and used that instead.

I have had old, moldy cards that leave a dank, dark, moldy smell on your hands after you touch them. When I made these I wanted to make cards that look cleaner, that didn't look like they would leave your hands stinky.

And thank you, Starlightexp.

cirom

Tag jorrit

Under different circumstances it would have been an interesting exercise to compare professional notes on the respective techniques used....peer to peer as it were. it would certainly make an interesting slide show of intermediary steps and process. Hmmmm I may actually do that at a tarot conference Im speaking at later this year.

But you're observations are correct there are numerous minor changes, the more cards you compare the more you will find. It's a confirmation of how much work actually went into this. But hopefully they are all relatively seamless and do not detract from the core imagery and overall integrity of this deck or anyones appreciation of it. Details that people would not even have realized had been done had it not been raised and now examined at the microscopic level.

DownUnderNZer

So will I need a microscope or magnifying glass to see these differences?

Too lazy to brace the 6 degree temp to go out to pc and am loving my heated bed right now.

Folks! DO NOT SELL OUT BY TOMOROW or you will have a very one unhappy NZer!

MESSAGE TO THE UNIVERSE...Please save one of each for me! :heart:

tarot heart

Tag_jorrit said:
I have had old, moldy cards that leave a dank, dark, moldy smell on your hands after you touch them. When I made these I wanted to make cards that look cleaner, that didn't look like they would leave your hands stinky.

What I really love is that you did not artificially age the cards with those dark blotches. It's so refreshing...:)

baylys

So will I need a microscope or magnifying glass to see these differences?

Too lazy to brace the 6 degree temp to go out to pc and am loving my heated bed right now.

Folks! DO NOT SELL OUT BY TOMOROW or you will have a very one unhappy NZer!

MESSAGE TO THE UNIVERSE...Please save one of each for me! :heart:

All this discussion is making me want them too.

So........

UNIVERSE, DITTO WHAT SHE SAID^^^^^

cirom

What I really love is that you did not artificially age the cards with those dark blotches. It's so refreshing...:)

Artificially age the cards?.. I really did try to keep it factual. There is no point in my continuing with this discussion.

starlightexp

Odd that Tali is not posting in the thread any more...