Gay Tarot on Thai TV

Lee

I just discovered this on YouTube. It's a TV show in Thailand called "Pink Mango," and apparently many of the episodes feature readings done with the Gay Tarot. If you fast-forward to various spots, you can see that they show many of the cards. I wish I understood Thai!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw5VEUVwKkM

I love Pink Mango! :D

Laura Borealis

Hey, that's pretty cool! :D Sounds like they're doing readings for viewers calling in, maybe? (and no reversals, interesting) I only watched the first bit.

It must be very odd yet pleasing, seeing your own work used on television. :)

Le Fanu

Doesn't he shuffle funny? :D (Just before 7.00)

Great to see the Gay Tarot in action here (though I didn't understand a word). Interesting how between callers he doesn't shuffle every time, just keeps taking cards out.

I'd love to know what they're saying. And the 3 of Swords came up rather a lot, I noticed...

But well done, Lee!

Lee

I love that little bow they do at the very end. They're so cute! :D

But seriously, even though I can't understand them, it's clear they have an admirable warmth, innocence, and good cheer, all of which seem to be conspicuous by their absence on American TV.

Le Fanu

Yes, there is something spontaneous and unscripted about their presentation (I suppose a card reading would have to be unscripted, but you know what I mean). They really look like they're enjoying themselves. Little touches like the way one of them straightens out the reading cloth, the way they chuckle...

Lee

laura_borealis said:
It must be very odd yet pleasing, seeing your own work used on television. :)
it is odd... Especially when I can't understand a word!

natalie8

Great find, Lee! I lived in thailand for 4 years and my husband's Thai, but he's working in London right now so I can't get him to translate. I can understand about 1/3 of what they're saying.

I've been out of Thailand for over 3 years now and thai really is a language that you have to keep using, or else you completely lost it. Hey, I could use this video as an excuse to practice. :-D

Thais are really into Tarot and you can find readers on just about every corner, and even in our local market, there are 4 or 5 of them. When I was there in March, I asked one of the ladies if she speaks English and she said no.

So, that's the tricky part. The majority of them use the Rider Waite deck. Oh, I just clued into the name of the show - The Pink Mango. Bangkok's nickname is The Big Mango.

Maybe I can post this on one of the Thai forums that I'm a member or and get a translation. The only problem is that it's a bit long and for me to expect a translation of the whole thing is asking a bit much.

I've been saying that I need to practice my Thai, so I'll use this, along with a Thai friend or hubby when he's here. :p

Kawb khun kha ;-) **that means thank you**

natalie8

Lee said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_borealis
It must be very odd yet pleasing, seeing your own work used on television.

it is odd... Especially when I can't understand a word!

Lee, I just noticed this. You created the Gay Tarot deck? I'll check it ou.

:)

Lee

natalie8 said:
Thais are really into Tarot and you can find readers on just about every corner, and even in our local market, there are 4 or 5 of them. When I was there in March, I asked one of the ladies if she speaks English and she said no.
That's really interesting, natalie8. It's fascinating to see the different ways tarot is seen in different cultures.

I'm very impressed that you could understand a third of it!

natalie8

Thanks, Lee. Some Thais go every week or even every few days. I might be going back to Thailand in the next few months so I'll keep an eye out for the 'Tarot ladies'. :-D

Now, to test the recording ability of my phone. ;-)

Someone said it looks like they're doing readings for people calling in. they are, and once I get watching this with help from some friends, I'll post the callers' questions and the readings.