Tarot Training Software For Windows

paulrosk

Hello everyone, so I was bored today, sat down and wrote a Windows Application for Tarot Card Training. It's just a little App that displays a random Tarot card, then when you click a button it displays the meaning of the card. Nothing fancy, but I found it a great tool for learning the meanings of the cards which I CAN NEVER REMEMBER! So if anybody out there is interested in trying it out I'll post the link at the end of this post. Just download the TarotTrainer.Zip file, unZip the files to a folder somewhere on your hard drive and run the setup,exe program. That will install the program as an App under Windows and put the program in your Start menu. If you don't want it anymore, just UnInstall it, the UnInstall program is a clean UnInstall, leaves nothing behind. Enjoy and leave me some feedback with any ideas, comments, etc.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3iEEcHW90qVMjAzNThkMTktNTBhZS00YWE0LWJkNDAtNmJkYThkNDU1NTQx&hl=en

Blessings ....

Paul

marimorimo

Wow, I found myself wishing for a tarot flash card app and your program descriptions sound exactly what I was wishing for. I can't download it right now but I will when I get back home later.

Is it possible to modify the card meanings included in the trainer?

Thanks a lot! I'll post feedback.:)

paulrosk

Thank you, I couldn't figure out what to call it but you nailed it right on the head, it's a "Flash Card" App! The card meanings are embedded in the code, but if you use it and have any suggestions I'll be glad to change the card meanings and release a Rev.2 of the program. I can make the meanings pretty long if I drop the font size down, even display them in a secondary form if need be. So try it out and let me know if you need any help installing it.

Blessings .....

Paul

paulrosk

You just gave me an idea, instead of embedding the "meanings" in the code I'm going to see if I can read it in from an external "text" file. That way anybody can change the "meanings" that are displayed. I'll keep you posted.

Blessings ....

Paul

marimorimo

I've downloaded and installed the program. It works great! I think the RWS card illustration size is just right, and it's easy/straightforward to use.

One thing that confused me when I first started it though is the "Select Card" button. I thought there would be a drop-down menu to select from or something :D Maybe "Random Card" or something similar would be more descriptive.

I'm still using the built-in card meanings but I'm planning to modify the meanings soon. It doesn't seem hard to do. Would I need to uninstall the program and reinstall it again (with the modified meanings database) for the update to work?

I was looking at the setup files and it occurred to me...it's possible to change the standard RWS deck with my own scans by keeping the original file names and picture dimensions, wouldn't it?

Thanks so much for this useful app :)

paulrosk

OK question 1, no you don't have to re-install, the program reads the meanings.txt file on startup, no problem, you can even change it while the program is running. #2 I like the idea of a drop-down box, next revision ....
Question 3 SURE! You can put your own deck in! I was thinking about that, but all I had in the way of Tarot deck pics was the Rider/Waite deck. So long as you conform to the numbering of the pictures and the pixel size it will work just fine. Feel free to experiment ... If you have Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0, I can send you the source files and you make it your own!

Blessings ...

Paul

marimorimo

I can change the database while the program is running! That's cool :D

I don't have Microsoft Visual Basic and even if I had I wouldn't know what to do with it so no tweaking of source code for me XD I'll experiment with it (changing meanings, card scans) and report back :)

When you get down to the next revision I hope it would be possible to change decks/meanings database on the fly (or is that too much to ask)? XD

Either way, I'm already quite happy with the Tarot Trainer :)

paulrosk

If you had picture scans of each deck it wouldn't be that hard to switch decks on the fly, so long as all the pictures were the same size.

paulrosk

If you have picture scans of other decks you can send them to me and I'll incorporate them into the program. The pictures don't have to be the correct size, I can size them to the proper format, no problem. I have some pictures of other decks but they are not a complete deck, I'll fool around with it tonight and see what I can come up with. Any revisions to the code I'll upload to Google Docs so you can try it out OK?