Good First Deck for a Beginner?

Nikat

I've been reading everything I can find on Tarot for a while now, and am at a point where I just need get some actual, hands-on experience. I was wondering if anyone would have suggestions for a good first deck?

I love the Shadowscapes deck. In fact, it was the gorgeous artwork of that deck that drew me to Tarot in the first place. But I recently had a chance to see it in person and I feel like it would be a little harder to read with?

I feel like the cards are dreamy and a little coy in personality, alluding to what they want to say indirectly rather than saying it outright. I don't feel secure enough in my knowledge to be comfortable with that. Should I buy the deck anyway, and just hope I'll learn as I go?

Or should I go for something a little more direct and forthright? Something that says "Here's how it is, so deal with it."

Am I over-thinking this? Can decks even have personalities or am I just being all "woo," as my friends like to tease me about?

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions from all you lovely people.

GryffinSong

I think the most important thing is to find a deck that you LOVE! Many will suggest a basic deck of one kind or another, but if you connect with a deck you'll enjoy learning.

As for decks having a personality, you'll find conversations here on that very thing. Many of us have multiple decks, giving us choices for our mood, or the issue at hand. As an example, I consider my Baroque Bohemian Cats to be my comfort deck. Kind, gentle folk who will speak quietly and sweetly to me.

If you love the Shadowscapes, buy it. You can also get a more straightforward deck to work with if you like. Comparing decks can be fascinating, and add insights to your observations.

dancing_moon

Welcome to AT, Nikat! :D

I agree with GryffinSong, it's very important to actually love the deck you'll be studying. Some people advise to get two decks - one 'basic/simple' (perhaps, something traditional like Rider-Waite or a close clone) and one 'difficult' (the one you fancy, like the Shadowscapes).

You can look through Rider-Waite clones and Rider-Waite inspired decks to see what catches your eye. Personally, I'd look for something with pleasant art and clear, easy to understand situations in cards.

Good luck in your search! :)

greatdane

I third that! What GriffinSong and Dancing Moon said!

It depends what system appeals to you, but if it's RWS, Dancing Moon provided a link.

michelle23

Can anyone tell me how to post a new thread please? Thanks guys

GryffinSong

michelle, there's a button on the upper left saying "new thread". I think you might need a response or two before you can post a new one ... see if the button is there now.

Alta

Thanks GryffinSong! And I also sent a PM with pretty well those instructions.

BodhiSeed

I agree that you should love the artwork, BUT I don't think I would base my entire decision on that. Check out all the scans here of decks you're attracted to, then see how you would read the cards in the scans. Some decks are beautiful but don't have much meat (in my opinion). "Test drive" some decks by the AT scans to give you a better idea of a deck you might work well with. Good luck, and welcome to the forum! :)

seedcake

Or should I go for something a little more direct and forthright? Something that says "Here's how it is, so deal with it."

Am I over-thinking this? Can decks even have personalities or am I just being all "woo," as my friends like to tease me about?

Do how you feel is good for you. I'm a beginner myself but I've picked deck which I "felt". I'm very happy with this decision.

I agree with BodhiSeed in 100% Check out the scans. This is how I knew I want my deck. I wasn't so sure but I was getting back to scans so many times. Then I knew - yes, it'll be my first deck :)